HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Is a pc-5 actually required for aftermarket exhaust systems. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Is a pc-5 actually required for aftermarket exhaust systems.
epd345

Pro
posted May 07, 2012 07:32 PM        
Is a pc-5 actually required for aftermarket exhaust systems.

I am considering my options for a full system for my 2012. Is a fuel management chip absolutely necessary? I know smoking and wee ran with out for some time. Is there still a decel back fire with or without a pc-v. Is it safe without one or will it run to lean. Don't want to do any damage. Thanks again for the help.

Ignore this member   
08green

Expert Class
posted May 07, 2012 07:43 PM        
No im sure smokin went 850s with no pc

Ignore this member   
bizzsteve

Novice Class
black ZX14R 2012
posted May 08, 2012 04:13 AM        
If you decide to buy the PCV don't try to buy direct they rip you off, I went to (more power racing) they charged 284.00 w/shipping 100.00 less than dyno jet and they are straight with their info they have no vested intrest in which fuel system you buy. they saved me the money on an auto tuner.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit bizzsteve's homepage. 
bizzsteve

Novice Class
black ZX14R 2012
posted May 08, 2012 04:15 AM        
quote:
If you decide to buy the PCV don't try to buy direct they rip you off, I went to (more power racing) they charged 284.00 w/shipping 100.00 less than dyno jet and they are straight with their info they have no vested intrest in which fuel system you buy. they saved me the money on an auto tuner.
Not needed. Full Yohimura PCV .

epd345

Pro
posted May 08, 2012 05:14 AM        
Bizzsteve. You have a pc-v or no. Which map are you using if you have a pc-v?

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted May 08, 2012 09:17 AM        
With a full yoshimura exhaust and no PC on my bike there is one mild decel pop coming down past 3500 rpm. I can live with that.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted May 08, 2012 09:27 AM        
My .02....

Why spend $16k+ on a bike and exhaust...but not map the fuel properly???

Get a Brock's pipe, pcv, and their supplied map. Done.

Shane

Ignore this member   
drewzx-14

Zone Head
Andrew
posted May 08, 2012 10:25 AM        
+1

Ignore this member    Click here to visit drewzx-14's homepage. 
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted May 08, 2012 11:40 AM        
quote:
My .02....

Why spend $16k+ on a bike and exhaust...but not map the fuel properly???

Get a Brock's pipe, pcv, and their supplied map. Done.

Shane

share, i think sometimes we forget not everyone is trying for a 8 second pass or 200 mph and they don't need the last extra couple hp if its not going to hurt the bike.

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted May 08, 2012 02:55 PM        
Not using some form of Fuel Manager after installing a full exhaust system has never been something I have found acceptable, but it seems more and more people do it. The PC or any other fuel manager isn't just about creating more power, it's delivering the correct fueling, AFR's, timing etc to work with the new modifcations. For me, even though I don't race, I rely on the PC to make sure I'm running a properly tuned bike that isn't too lean, or too rich etc, but a good tune for the bike. Seems folks, with the improved OEM ECU's and maps have all but forgottent the value of the PC and the tuner also

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted May 08, 2012 03:57 PM        
Kawifast, Im aware of what the powercommander does but I was wondering if the bikes stock electronics were up to the task of controlling the a/f mixture to compensate for the aftermarket pipe.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted May 08, 2012 04:28 PM        
It's not necessary. kawi didn't map the gen ii bike as pig rich, so it benefits even less than the gen i zx14.
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 08, 2012 06:11 PM        
The bike will run fine with no PC and a pipe .. Hell i ran 8.52 without the PC .. BUT The PC and a good map always make the bike run better in all RPM ranges.. The new 14 is different than the old zx14 in the fact that it is mapped better from the factory to start with .. But still it's very clear that a good map like Brocks street map does make more HP in the complete RPM range .. You have to look at the complete picture here and not just the high RPM HP reading .. What is under the top numbers counts just as much as peak power numbers .. If you can shorten the time the bike Revs from 3500 RPMs to 10800 RPMs the bike will be faster even if peak HP numbers remain unchanged .. If you look at the factory A/F you will see lows and highs ..A good map removes all those lows and highs and makes a better running bike in town or on the strip.. ..You pay 1000.00+ for a pipe ..300 more for a PC and a good map is not a bad deal.. But like i said the bike will run without it ..Buy the pipe and add the PC later if you want ..

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted May 08, 2012 06:28 PM        
That's what I'm going to do, get the PC and dyno tune later.
  Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 08, 2012 06:33 PM        
quote:
The bike will run fine with no PC and a pipe .. Hell i ran 8.52 without the PC .. BUT The PC and a good map always make the bike run better in all RPM ranges.. The new 14 is different than the old zx14 in the fact that it is mapped better from the factory to start with .. But still it's very clear that a good map like Brocks street map does make more HP in the complete RPM range .. You have to look at the complete picture here and not just the high RPM HP reading .. What is under the top numbers counts just as much as peak power numbers .. If you can shorten the time the bike Revs from 3500 RPMs to 10800 RPMs the bike will be faster even if peak HP numbers remain unchanged .. If you look at the factory A/F you will see lows and highs ..A good map removes all those lows and highs and makes a better running bike in town or on the strip.. ..You pay 1000.00+ for a pipe ..300 more for a PC and a good map is not a bad deal.. But like i said the bike will run without it ..Buy the pipe and add the PC later if you want ..
that is perfect advice...

wee

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted May 08, 2012 10:59 PM        
quote:
It's not necessary. kawi didn't map the gen ii bike as pig rich, so it benefits even less than the gen i zx14.
The 06-07's weren't so bad, but the 08-11's with the 3rd cat in the collector were sick rich from the factory, a pc and exhaust definately helped them. I've always ran a pc or some other fuel manager with exhaust changes, but it sounds like with the 14R you might not need one?

Ignore this member   
bizzsteve

Novice Class
black ZX14R 2012
posted May 09, 2012 05:22 AM        
PCV

quote:
Bizzsteve. You have a pc-v or no. Which map are you using if you have a pc-v?

Yes PCV waiting for appointment to get map at scott power sport my local dealer .

dakota9498

Pro
posted May 09, 2012 06:05 AM        
For what its worth, here are my $.02. I am paranoid about stuff like this becuase I usually have bad luck. My thing is that we have seen the AFR without a PCV on the dyno and a little on the strip at wide open throttle and it looks ok. My problem is, out on the street you will be cruising at a steady RPM, 3k or 4k or whatever, maybe that spot is already a little lean and then factor in ram air at speed then what happens? And you mentioned the electronics compensating for the exhaust. Well that really isn't possible, the bike doesn't have a system like a car that can compensate for differences in AFR with an O2 sensor. The only thing that the bike has is a inlet pressure sensor and a intlet temperature sensor. It may add a little fuel with more pressure or little more fuel with colder temps. But again it brings up another what if. What if it is hot outside, pressure is little lower and the temps a little higher, and it takes out a little fuel. Like I said, I just always look for the worst case scenario and prepare for that (I guess that is some of the military instilled in me) because if everything was always the best case scenario then we wouldn't have a forum for discussion. Again, that is just my $.02.

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted May 09, 2012 11:38 AM        
Thanks for the all the advice guys. Im leaning toward a Brocks system with PC. Think Im going to wait till the bike has 2k miles first.

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted May 09, 2012 12:21 PM        
quote:
Thanks for the all the advice guys. Im leaning toward a Brocks system with PC. Think Im going to wait till the bike has 2k miles first.

Better yet run the pipe with with the stock ECU and factory map for 2K and give everyone yet another perspective

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted May 09, 2012 01:14 PM        
I think Im gonna run the stock exhaust for 2K before I upgrade. Thats what I meant.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted May 09, 2012 01:47 PM        
quote:
I think Im gonna run the stock exhaust for 2K before I upgrade. Thats what I meant.

Why wait???

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted May 09, 2012 02:49 PM        
Well first Brock's has no gen IV systems in stock. Plus I don't have the funds yet. I may just save up for a CT.

Ignore this member   
bizzsteve

Novice Class
black ZX14R 2012
posted May 11, 2012 06:27 AM        
epd345 Before you make the decision on a Brock's find someone who has one look at it listen to it. If your not racing it may not be the best choice. I understand from this forum that
if your racing your bike Brock's is for you, but if you have to look at it and listen all the time make sure your happy with it. I made the mistake of putting a pipe on CBR 954 that after 2 weeks I ended up selling on EBAY. Finally I purchased an Akropovic system that I loved.
Take your time look and listen to all the bikes you can.

All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Is a pc-5 actually required for aftermarket exhaust systems. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.320676088333 seconds processing time