HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: knee dragging the zx 14 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted May 06, 2012 12:02 AM        Edited By: peaveyplayer on 6 May 2012 08:03
knee dragging the zx 14

Got my first suit with knee sliders. Been practicing all day yesterday and today. I mastered the left side and finally got the right side, but still mastering it. How do you guys do this full speed on turns? Will I catch on, or is there a trick? Feels like I'm about to fall off the bike and the rear tire feels like it is about to slide out from under me just doing circles. Thanks.

Also, do you recommend regular plastic sliders or should I get titanium ones? (Sparkies ect.)

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 06, 2012 01:57 AM        
Your. It going to drag your knees enough to worry about that plastic or metal. I'm not saying you can't do it, but your going to hurt yourself trying.

Ignore this member   
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted May 06, 2012 02:56 AM        
quote:
Got my first suit with knee sliders. Been practicing all day yesterday and today. I mastered the left side and finally got the right side, but still mastering it. How do you guys do this full speed on turns? Will I catch on, or is there a trick? Feels like I'm about to fall off the bike and the rear tire feels like it is about to slide out from under me just doing circles. Thanks.

Also, do you recommend regular plastic sliders or should I get titanium ones? (Sparkies ect.)

i recommend a good insurance policy

2009 ZX-14 SE--has two wheels and an engine

Ignore this member   
Rich

Expert Class
Just havin' fun!!
posted May 06, 2012 03:07 AM        
Sounds like you're in need of a track day.

http://www.schwantzschoolnews.com/

http://maps.wera.com/

http://www.edbargyracingschool.com/

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rich's homepage. 
LeoVinceZX14

Expert Class
Thankfully...its paid for...
posted May 06, 2012 04:27 AM        
Buy Twist of the wrist II DVD...

peaveyplayer:

Be careful out there on public roads. I would suggest a riding school before you do a track day to give you a "game plan" for how to approach your cornering techniques and to better understand what the bike does in a given situation (braking, turning, etc) You should find this helpful:

link: "http://www.twistofthewristdvd.com/home.asp"

Ride safe,

Leo
BMC filter
Leo Vince 4-2-1 w/ carbon can
Sato frame sliders
Supersprox 41T
Cox radiator guard

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted May 06, 2012 05:11 AM        
Sounds like you need a bike better suited to what your trying to do. Not that a 14 can't do it but it would not be my choice for riding like that.
  Ignore this member   
Rich

Expert Class
Just havin' fun!!
posted May 06, 2012 05:29 AM        
I was thinking each track had you go to a school and have some kind of license before letting you loose out on the course. A couple of friends of mine recently went to FL for a weekend school and had a blast. They look at blazing through the back roads totally different now. As in they'd rather not. And yes, they were all out on 600s.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rich's homepage. 
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted May 06, 2012 05:36 AM        
quote:
I was thinking each track had you go to a school and have some kind of license before letting you loose out on the course. A couple of friends of mine recently went to FL for a weekend school and had a blast. They look at blazing through the back roads totally different now. As in they'd rather not. And yes, they were all out on 600s.

Around here you do not need a license or have to go to a school to do a track day. they just split you up based on experience.

Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted May 06, 2012 06:05 AM        Edited By: peaveyplayer on 6 May 2012 14:08
Thank you, all this time I thought it was normal. thank you for the links! I had no idea they had this here, gonna call and see how much the school is.
  Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 06:05 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 6 May 2012 14:10
I don't understand...he said he already 'got' both knees down...on his 14(I assume?)....just curious why everyone's tellin him to do a track day?Guys drag a knee all the time on the street with their 14's?I don't....but the web's full of vids of guys doin it with their 14's.

How do you guys do this full speed on turns? ...I don't think 'you guys' are doing it at FULL SPEED.If you're getting your knee down...whatever speed you're running...you're making it happen.Better I would say to be able to do it at slower speeds...where if something goes wrong...well...you know.

Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted May 06, 2012 06:18 AM        
oh man, normal is 700-800 dollars for a 2 day training course. yikes, tough decision.
  Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 06:58 AM        
+1 on the track day there is very little roads to safely get loose in without fear of a car, a cop or shit on da road.. Any one can drag their knee in parking lot. Well most of us can

Ignore this member   
DogoZX

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 07:19 AM        
quote:
oh man, normal is 700-800 dollars for a 2 day training course. yikes, tough decision.

Disagree... It's a no brainer.

BTW... My name is Rob, and I'm a trackoholic.

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted May 06, 2012 08:42 AM        
Atta boy Rob! The 10 looks mean. Was this pic at the new track? Howd you like it?

Ignore this member   
DogoZX

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 08:59 AM        
quote:
Atta boy Rob! The 10 looks mean. Was this pic at the new track? Howd you like it?

Yes, That's @ The Ridge... Road course is amazing! 18 corners and 2.5 miles of bliss... Drag strip is supposed to be done in June.

There's an Org out there today. You should go check it out... I'll be back out there on the 18th... But, if I can get enough shit done around the property today, I'm gonna ride Pacific on Weds.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 09:02 AM        
Track days are the most fun you can have on a motorcycle. I have 4 scheduled this year and hopefully get to add 2 more if work allows it.
  Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 12:04 PM        
quote:
quote:

Disagree... It's a no brainer.

BTW... My name is Rob, and I'm a trackoholic.

vert nice!! Thats what I'm talking about

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted May 06, 2012 02:01 PM        
Where is that track located? Maybe a website?

Thanks,
Charles

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted May 06, 2012 02:19 PM        Edited By: Quarter Pounder on 6 May 2012 22:23
dude, you don't need to spend that kind of money just to do a trackday. Most of the reputable trackday outfits offer built in classroom training for novice groups and some in Intermediate groups.

Ridesmart, X-act just to name a couple. It's the best money you can spend to make you faster. Dragging a knee is not necessarily going faster...it's just a feeler most of the time. If you are just out to drag your knee...you will have your doors blown off by MUCH lesser bikes all day long. One of the reasons I ride an underpowered, lightweight SV650 on track. Much more fun passing "faster" bikes on slow equipment is way more fun IMO. LOL

Don't let a lot of these drag guys discourage you from taking your 14 to a trackday...some have never done it and haven't a clue of just how capable a 14 can be on a track. It is a high-horsepower, larger bike than what you could consider a track tool, but it'll still hustle through a corner no problem. I'd only caution your ground clearance...raising up the rear a bit with an aftermarket shock makes all the difference, and be very careful of how you use your right hand.

I'd also like to take the time to warn you that track days are addictive!!! LOL

1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted May 06, 2012 02:29 PM        
+1 on the track day and like Quarterpounder said a bike like an SV is a great track weapon. But you will have fun no matter what you ride. Hell the last one I went to I was throwing my ZRX1200 around all day.

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted May 06, 2012 02:40 PM        
LOL, I've done a few trackdays on my ZRX as well...you know you've done something the next day. That thing was a workout! Had a total blast though.
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
DogoZX

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2012 02:59 PM        
quote:
Where is that track located? Maybe a website?

Thanks,
Charles

It's in Shelton, WA.

Here's a link:
http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/

More track day junkies here than I thought... very cool!
I'm a first year newb out there, but just got my first taste of 300 level (expert) on Friday... got a lot to learn. lol

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted May 06, 2012 03:47 PM        
Don't worry about doing a school at your level.

Just do a normal TRACK DAY. $195.

sportbiketracktime.com

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted May 06, 2012 03:50 PM        
Sportbike tracktime also includes classroom instruction for novice group. Just did Barber last weekend and they had it going for them. Well worth the time and money to learn more about you and your bike. Said it above...but bears repeating...

It's the best money you can spend to make you faster.
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
atldude

Expert Class
Working on it...
posted May 07, 2012 05:03 AM        
I go with NESBA still in B group and just started last year. My avatar is from a track day with the 14 last year @ Barber. I do not drag knee on the street. It happens some times but I do my best to avoid it. I don't normally ride on the street with knee pucks :-) and when I do, in the twisties, there are too many things that can go terribly wrong from oncoming traffic to pot holes to gravel etc.. Go to the track and push the fat b!tch down. She can handle it! :-) It is a bit scary with high speed at first but you just have to trust her that's all. I was doing 70mph @ Road Atlanta the first PM session on one of the turns (that first right hand after the short straightway) without any slipping and with the biggest smile on my face lol Not sure what tires you have but I run the angels and they have treated me really well for track and road without any slippage unless you get them way too hot. And if you wanna do track day with the 14 on any of the SE tracks lemme know and I will bring mine out also, we'll have a blast!

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=64487

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: knee dragging the zx 14 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
1.04430985451 seconds processing time