HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Best way to remove zzz o'rings ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted May 02, 2012 04:01 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 2 May 2012 23:02
Best way to remove zzz o'rings ?

Any tips on how to remove the o'rings from a chain?
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 02, 2012 04:07 PM        
Oh no you are not ! Kill a nice chain ? Just buy a DZR2 and save the ZZZ ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 02, 2012 04:09 PM        
quote:

ask brock ...

Ignore this member   
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted May 02, 2012 04:25 PM        
Oring pick.
9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted May 02, 2012 04:36 PM        
quote:
Oh no you are not ! Kill a nice chain ? Just buy a DZR2 and save the ZZZ ..

x 10!!!

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 02, 2012 04:37 PM        
Do you really pick up any from it?

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 02, 2012 04:58 PM        
quote:
I don't know .. But i'm not picking the Orings out of my ZZZ chain to find out ..

Ignore this member   
zx13r

Expert Class
Capt-America
posted May 02, 2012 05:06 PM        
Pm sent

Ignore this member   
08green

Expert Class
posted May 02, 2012 06:22 PM        
quote:

X2

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 02, 2012 06:56 PM        
quote:
quote:
I don't know .. But i'm not picking the Orings out of my ZZZ chain to find out ..

My zzz is going on 5 years old, it's probably time to get a new one, but I still can't make myself sit down long enough to do that

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted May 02, 2012 07:48 PM        
u stock lenth? if so i have a chain u can use for a drag brand new . the zzz is a sweet chain.

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 02, 2012 09:09 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 3 May 2012 04:13
Thanks Joseph and everyone that replied.
I tried it a couple difference ways, but putting the bike on the rear stand and a hook pick set ($7.99)from Advance Auto worked best.
It took about 2 hours to complete(70"wb), some of that time was just figuring out how to do it.
The rear wheel turns much easier now.

I am running two classes tomorrow night (Fastest Bike at the Track and 6.0 index) I will run the Fastest Bike class on nitrous and the 6.0 class on motor with a nitrous map, and fuel. With this set-up on motor my bike runs about 6.1-6.05, therefor, I removed the o'rings and made a few other changes to try to get the bike to run 6.0 flat.
wish me luck,
BLK ICE

(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted May 02, 2012 09:24 PM        
I was told the removal is worth about 2 hp... less resistance,less heat = less energy to turn the rotating assymbly....

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 02, 2012 09:31 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 3 May 2012 05:20
Brock said it should make the 227hp 14r make 230hp. However, his bike is stock wheel base. At 70" I am looking for a 4hp gain .

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 01:03 AM        Edited By: BobC on 3 May 2012 08:05
quote:
Brock said it should make the 227hp 14r make 230hp. However, his bike is stock wheel base. At 70" I am looking for a 4hp gain .

Could you explain your reasoning for why the gains change with wheelbase? I assumed that the only gains to be had in removing the o-rings were from reduced friction in the section of chain around the sprockets and that does not change with wheelbase. The straight run of chain makes no difference apart from the slight increase in mass for a longer one. Or have I misunderstood ?

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 03, 2012 03:22 AM        
I don't think creating heat is going to be a issue while drag racing. Not enough time
Build heat up.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 03, 2012 03:40 AM        
quote:
I don't think creating heat is going to be a issue while drag racing. Not enough time
Build heat up.
I'm gonna start cooling my chain instead of the engine in between runs....

wee

Ignore this member   
Paul2281

Expert Class
posted May 03, 2012 10:13 AM        
Maybe Brock will come out with some "0"weight chain lube for chains that used to have o-rings...Worth 3 to 4 hp.....
  Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 11:36 AM        
You just took your ZZZ chain from at least a 3 season chain into a 1 season or less chain.
  Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 11:42 AM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 3 May 2012 18:47
quote:
quote:

Could you explain your reasoning for why the gains change with wheelbase? I assumed that the only gains to be had in removing the o-rings were from reduced friction in the section of chain around the sprockets and that does not change with wheelbase. The straight run of chain makes no difference apart from the slight increase in mass for a longer one. Or have I misunderstood ?

Each o'ring was wedged in tightly. Once removed, each link moved much more freely.
My reasoning it that reducing the drag on 70" wb chain v/s 57" wb chain will yield a greater over all drag reduction due to the fact that each o'ring removed reduces friction.
Even the links of the chain that are not on the sprocket are still in motion and have less friction due the o'rings being removed.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 03, 2012 11:46 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Each o'ring was wedged in tightly. Once removed each link moved much more freely.
My reasoning it that reducing the drag on 70" wb chain v/s 57" wb chain will yield a greater over all drag reduction due to the fact that each o'ring removed reduces friction.
Even the links of the chain that are not on the sprocket are still in motion and have less friction due the o'rings being removed.

What he's trying to say is unless the chain is around a sprocket it's not moving(bending, where the orings cause friction)
Your saying you will gain hp bc you have more chain vs swb, but actually your loosing hp vs stock wheelbase because you have more chain.

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 11:56 AM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 3 May 2012 19:10
"Your saying you will gain hp bc you have more chain vs swb, but actually your loosing hp vs stock wheelbase because you have more chain."

No, I am saying I will have a greater reduction in friction due to removing more orings which will free-up more hp.

70" of orings removed reduces more friction than 57" of orings removed.
The chain is moving even when it is not on the sprocket.

'

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 12:32 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 3 May 2012 19:36
quote:
You just took your ZZZ chain from at least a 3 season chain into a 1 season or less chain.

My chain is 2 years old. I am going to replace it anyway, I just want to test to see if I would gain anything with a non oring chain so I will know which chain would be the best replacement (zzz or dzr2).

Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 01:00 PM        
I've run 2, maybe 3 DRZ2 chains. Will not run one again! Way too much maintenance and I wore 1 out a year. No losses going to the ZZZ chain. Actually I believe the ZZZ is lighter than the DZR2.
  Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted May 03, 2012 02:57 PM        
My record gain on the dyno by removing the o-rings is 7 RWHP... but there are many variables. The 7 was on a Busa, stock chain and it was old/gritty/dirty etc. we didn't even pull it off of the dyno to remove the o-rings. We can do it in about a half hour. I have a trick where I grind a pair of side-cutters (dykes) and can snip and pull the o-rings in 2 motions.

When an o-ring chain is constructed, the o-rings are pressed between the rollers and plates, remove the o-rings and you now have a nice gap on each side. The chain is then VERY loose. With a non o-ring chain, the plates are pressed directly against the rollers, you don't have o-ring friction... but it's still MUCH tighter than removing the o-rings.

I can see BLK ICE gaining more on his longer chain by removing more friction… not sure how much? We picked up 2.5 removing them on Slugger in a back to back test, but our weather is now hot/humid, so I may have to wait until fall to see my 230

**CAUTION** if you remove your o-rings YOU MUST OIL YOUR CHAIN FREQUENTLY. We use our Alisyn chain lube on the street and <<0 motor oil on the dyno and race track.

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Best way to remove zzz o\'rings ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.906423091888 seconds processing time