HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Best way to remove zzz o'rings ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted May 03, 2012 03:10 PM        
Thanks Brock, great explanation.........I can see the o-rings hitting the floor now all across the country.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 03, 2012 03:15 PM        
out to the garage..

wee

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted May 03, 2012 03:31 PM        
Heh heh heh...........

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 03, 2012 07:00 PM        
No way i'm taking mine out of a brand new 180 dollar chain .. I'll just have a lung removed and make up for it with more weight loss ...

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted May 03, 2012 07:51 PM        
my zzz chain is for street and i have a non o ring removed chain for track i soak it all week drop it on for racing and it deff helps. lol if i had training wheels the bike would roll forever .

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted May 03, 2012 10:49 PM        
quote:
Thanks Joseph and everyone that replied.
I tried it a couple difference ways, but putting the bike on the rear stand and a hook pick set ($7.99)from Advance Auto worked best.
It took about 2 hours to complete(70"wb), some of that time was just figuring out how to do it.
The rear wheel turns much easier now.

I am running two classes tomorrow night (Fastest Bike at the Track and 6.0 index) I will run the Fastest Bike class on nitrous and the 6.0 class on motor with a nitrous map, and fuel. With this set-up on motor my bike runs about 6.1-6.05, therefor, I removed the o'rings and made a few other changes to try to get the bike to run 6.0 flat.
wish me luck,
BLK ICE

I WON!
I went 3mph faster!

Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com)

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted May 03, 2012 11:07 PM        
Wow! Congratulations! Cash is gooood...............

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 03, 2012 11:20 PM        

I WON!
I went 3mph faster!

This has got to be a misprint or typo or something, right? You picked up 3 MPH from taking out the O-Rings??????
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 03, 2012 11:43 PM        
quote:

I WON!
I went 3mph faster!

This has got to be a misprint or typo or something, right? You picked up 3 MPH from taking out the O-Rings??????

I added 5lbs of air to the front and rear tires, pulled the air filter, and removed the orings.
Weather was much worse tonight, over 10degrees warmer and very humid. You can see the moisture on my face shield.
And no typo, I went 3mph faster.
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com)

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 04, 2012 12:08 AM        
Holy free horsepower, Batman!!!
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted May 04, 2012 12:40 AM        Edited By: BobC on 4 May 2012 10:10
quote:
"Your saying you will gain hp bc you have more chain vs swb, but actually your loosing hp vs stock wheelbase because you have more chain."

No, I am saying I will have a greater reduction in friction due to removing more orings which will free-up more hp.

70" of orings removed reduces more friction than 57" of orings removed.
The chain is moving even when it is not on the sprocket.

'

It's only the part of the chain being bent around the sprockets where you would expect the measurable friction to be and moving the sprockets further apart (longer chain) should make no difference to this. The only other thing I can come up with is that on drag bikes with very long swing arms you can sometimes see a standing wave along the bottom run of chain as they move off the line, I have photographed this on Jack Frost's 250mph Hayabusa Turbo at Santa Pod. This might make a difference and could be the reason why you get more gains removing the o-rings from a longer chain.

At least, that's how it seems to me sitting here thinking about it. The inertia of a 13 inch longer, heavier, chain will be different but not by much. I think you would need a very sensitive rig in a lab to research chain length v drag with any accuracy but it's quite important that you should only change one thing on the bike at a time otherwise you can never be completely sure where your gains or losses came from.

Congrats on your win Blk Ice.

Found the picture.
This bike has done 256.79mph in the mile, apologies for the Busa on a Kawasaki forum but look at the lower chain run.
Taken just off the line and Jack assures me it was correctly adjusted even though, in his own words "it looks like it's hanging off".

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted May 04, 2012 04:12 AM        
hp advantage of non-O/X ring chain??

This Q has strongly interested me since i started drag-racing my ZX12 in 2001.
Lots of folks seem to have data to support their position on both sides of the discussion.

Brock knows i trust his testing methodology (7hp benefit), which is surely more strict than mine(no benefit), so i would tend to go with his conclusion.

but what interests me is where is that 7hp being consumed in the O-ringed chain??

Presumably, if it takes 7hp more to rotate an O-ringed chain, the extra hp is needed to overcome friction due to o-rings.
So the extra 7hp must go into heat (friction) on the oringed chain.

I'd love for someone (Brock?) to put a oringed chain under constant high load on the dyno, say at 10K and measure the chain temp after say 10-20sec.

Change out for a non oring chain anddo same test.

If the non-o ring chain runs cooler, it eats less hp.

just a thought.
karl

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 04, 2012 04:17 AM        
Congrats on the win!
I don't guess we could convince you that taking the orings out didn't help!
I usually pick up quite a bit by pulling my air filter. I quit doing it just because I will take the loss of a few hp vs sucking in the south ga bugs at the end of the track

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted May 04, 2012 04:42 AM        
Air filter for me is worth 2 mph alone. Guessing must of the other 1 mph came from air in the front tire.
  Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted May 04, 2012 06:49 AM        
Nice work BLK ICE!

For the non believers. We were AMA Dragbike Supersport National Champions 4 out of 5 years (we took one year off)... that takes incredible work, dedication and attention to detail. You can bet there were many A-B tests at the drag strip with all types and brands of chains o-ring, non o-ring, x-ring, o-rings removed etc. This has been a well kept secret for many years and there is still MORE unsaid about chains. Our 08 Busa ran 8.94 with a stock engine, foot-shifting with our pipe and power commander... of course, it was a "ringer".
No, it had details like this and others followed which let ALL of it's stock power get used.

My company is built on educating our customers, in addition to great products. This little trick has been in our private owners info. since 2001 and there are 12 pages of additional go fast tips just on the Gen 1 Busa alone. So if you have ever been outrun by someone with a Brock's Performance exhaust at the drag strip, it may not have ONLY been the exhaust which was helping him/her to the finish line first

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted May 04, 2012 09:50 AM        
Congratz on your win! i think more air pressure in the tires had more effect than the chain,in dragrace mode i run 50 to 60 psi in the front tire and keep increasing the psi on the back tire until traction is broken then back it down 2 psi,the more psi u can run the more mph a proven fact !!! and free!!!!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kawpower's homepage. 
zx13r

Expert Class
Capt-America
posted May 04, 2012 09:59 AM        
Congrates BLK ICE!! Big Money Winner!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 04, 2012 03:51 PM        
quote:
Nice work BLK ICE!

For the non believers. We were AMA Dragbike Supersport National Champions 4 out of 5 years (we took one year off)... that takes incredible work, dedication and attention to detail. You can bet there were many A-B tests at the drag strip with all types and brands of chains o-ring, non o-ring, x-ring, o-rings removed etc. This has been a well kept secret for many years and there is still MORE unsaid about chains. Our 08 Busa ran 8.94 with a stock engine, foot-shifting with our pipe and power commander... of course, it was a "ringer".
No, it had details like this and others followed which let ALL of it's stock power get used.

My company is built on educating our customers, in addition to great products. This little trick has been in our private owners info. since 2001 and there are 12 pages of additional go fast tips just on the Gen 1 Busa alone. So if you have ever been outrun by someone with a Brock's Performance exhaust at the drag strip, it may not have ONLY been the exhaust which was helping him/her to the finish line first

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com
Oh yes i believe it ... But I'm still not cutting my Orings out of my ZZZ chain ...

Ignore this member   
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted May 04, 2012 04:02 PM        
i agree 100% with lee, zzz is a bad mofo that dont need touchin!!! and exspensive to boot!!!!!!!

BLK ICE

Pro
posted May 04, 2012 08:24 PM        
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Sincerely,
BLK ICE

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 07, 2012 06:09 PM        
quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Sincerely,
BLK ICE

Thank you for bringing this mods to everyone's attention with numbers from the track. I'm not sure how many are actualy going to do it but I'll bet over 100 people have seriously considered it after reading this thread. Good job Black Ice. That's what makes forums great.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted May 08, 2012 12:33 AM        
Just a quick comment, to gain 3mph Blk Ice said "I added 5lbs of air to the front and rear tires, pulled the air filter, and removed the orings."

He altered three things, it wasn't just o-ring removal.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
Master

Expert Class
If it ain't fast it aint me
posted May 08, 2012 08:49 AM        
wow did you guys miss brocks qoute "Our 08 Busa ran 8.94 with a stock engine, foot-shifting" now thats impressive.
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 08, 2012 02:12 PM        
quote:
wow did you guys miss brocks qoute "Our 08 Busa ran 8.94 with a stock engine, foot-shifting" now thats impressive.
Wow did you miss Brocks qoute " Our new ZX14R ran 8.87 with a stock engine , foot shifting with a non pro rider weighing 161 pounds "... Now that is Impressive !!

Ignore this member   
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted May 08, 2012 02:20 PM        
that mod isnt new Brock bin doin that back in the ss days of prostar!!!

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Best way to remove zzz o\'rings ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.728595972061 seconds processing time