HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Sport tour tire good for turning? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Sport tour tire good for turning?
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 27, 2012 04:04 PM        
Sport tour tire good for turning?

I have a sport tour tire (Michelin) and I have about 1k miles on it so far. Before i start going deeper into my turns, I was curious if it was safe. Thank you.

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted April 27, 2012 04:11 PM        
A Pilot Road/2/3, I presume? Great tire. It's more than adequate for street riding, unless you ride like on a race track. And, if that's the case, you shouldn't need to ask the question. Not being a jack-wad, just answering the question. I love that tire on all my bikes it'll fit.
  Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 27, 2012 04:17 PM        
Ya, I was afraid you would ask that. I am a new learner, been riding for a year now and trying to get a little serious on the turns, but didn't know. I ride backroads away from the public mainly (no tracks around in GA). Any rear tire you would recommed for me in my case? And no, your not a jackwad, learning this stuff. Got 2 wrecks to prove it lol.
  Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted April 27, 2012 04:21 PM        
Also consider how warm the tire is when you start to turn in.. hot days and roads will make even the hardest ST tire seem sticky. The cold can make then slicker as well.
  Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 27, 2012 04:33 PM        
Thanks cycho, Appreciate it. Will remember that.
  Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted April 27, 2012 04:41 PM        
I really liked the Qualifier Roadsmart. Great tire that got excellent mileage (5000+ miles) considering how well it handled. I was able to got WOT out of 2nd gear corners without spinning. I never touched my knee down, but I also wasn't trying to. On more than one occasion, I scraped the lowers on tight corners. The roadsmarts never lost traction, they simply gripped and rocketed out of the corners without any complaints. The michelins are good too. Just get the tire warm by riding it for a few miles. Don't go too hard too soon, but that tire has higher limits than you do!

Ignore this member   
Rob7R

Expert Class
More balls than brains.
posted April 27, 2012 05:40 PM        
My Dunlop Q2s were pretty sticky, but I didn't get much more than 2500 miles out of them. My Pirelli angels seem to be holding up much better and they still stick pretty good. No complaints about either as far as trusting them in the twistys. I found that once I learned to trust them they were up for more than I was most of the time.
Current bike- 07 ZX14 black with D&D cans, PC3, 43t rear sprocket, 6 inch extensions, roaring toys lowering links. Muzzy Bonneville Pro, TRE Velocity stacks, Puig DB windscreen, Sargent seat, Heli-risers, and throttlemeisters.

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted April 27, 2012 06:16 PM        
quote:
I really liked the Qualifier Roadsmart. Great tire that got excellent mileage (5000+ miles) considering how well it handled. I was able to got WOT out of 2nd gear corners without spinning. I never touched my knee down, but I also wasn't trying to. On more than one occasion, I scraped the lowers on tight corners. The roadsmarts never lost traction, they simply gripped and rocketed out of the corners without any complaints. The michelins are good too. Just get the tire warm by riding it for a few miles. Don't go too hard too soon, but that tire has higher limits than you do!

Jorgen...Is that Sticks leaving you in the dust??

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted April 27, 2012 06:18 PM        
You cant lose with the Pirelli Angels or Michelin Pilot Road 2's, great tires. You will easily get 5k out of them.

Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 27, 2012 08:16 PM        
That's outstanding! I'm due for a new "front" tire soon, would you recommend the same brands? Noone really talks about that much. Thanks guys! I really appreciate this information, helps loads!
  Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted April 27, 2012 10:58 PM        
quote:
That's outstanding! I'm due for a new "front" tire soon, would you recommend the same brands? Noone really talks about that much. Thanks guys! I really appreciate this information, helps loads!

Michelin Pilot Road 2/3 or Dunlop Roadsmarts. Both will last a long time, and unless you're doing actual track days, it will be more than enough for anyone on the street imo.

Ignore this member   
samin

Novice Class
posted April 28, 2012 12:17 PM        Edited By: samin on 28 Apr 2012 19:19
I would also consider Metzeler M5´s (190/55 at rear)
Nice handling and somewhat good mileage for street, acceptable grip for occasional track day use.
Good trade-off, imo.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit samin's homepage. 
heraser

Expert Class
Tall Blue 14
posted April 28, 2012 06:35 PM        
Whatever you choose, put same brand on the front and rear.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit heraser's homepage. 
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted April 28, 2012 06:39 PM        
quote:
Whatever you choose, put same brand on the front and rear.

..... Meh...... Sometimes I had the same tires, sometimes I didnt.....

Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 28, 2012 06:42 PM        
took your advice on my pilot 2 rear tire, gotthe tire real hot and got lower than I ever have. Drifting so much better now that I have confidence in my tire. Thank you
  Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted April 28, 2012 07:40 PM        
quote:
took your advice on my pilot 2 rear tire, gotthe tire real hot and got lower than I ever have. Drifting so much better now that I have confidence in my tire. Thank you

So your drifting???
As far as tires matching, I don't think I have ever had a set of mathing tires. The rear wears faster than the front. I never replace them at the same time.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 09:14 PM        
A buddy has the Pilot Pures on his GSXR750 that lasted 6k miles with about 100 1/4 mile passes (going around waterbox, no burnout needed) and 2 track days. I'm going to put a set of those on the 14 before its first track day next month.
  Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 29, 2012 07:22 AM        
ya, but drifting is difficult for me on the 14. It is a good feeling to drift, but scares the crap out of me when im doing it lol. I think I may be doing it wrong. I gotta get me a track suit, i know im bound to fall again and this top SS jacket isnt gonna be enough.
  Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted April 29, 2012 08:14 PM        
what do you mean there are no tracks in GA? Where you live?
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 29, 2012 08:16 PM        
closest one is in atlanta. Always packed
  Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted April 30, 2012 12:00 PM        
are we talking road course or drag?

1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
peaveyplayer

Novice Class
posted April 30, 2012 12:19 PM        
road course
  Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Sport tour tire good for turning? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.36798286438 seconds processing time