HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 14r, NO exhaust gaskets?? WTF?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Rook

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 11:39 AM        
14r, NO exhaust gaskets?? WTF??

Hi, got a buddy who owns a 14r and is switching to a Brocks full system.

He said the OEM header came out with NO EXHAUST GASKETS on the exhaust ports or the pipes?????

My experience is the gskets either stick to the header or the exhaust port or they fall out when you disassemble.

Was the 14r designed to NOT have exhaust gaskets??

Is a Brock's system designed to run without gaskets???

He wants bolt it up and ride but I'm not encouraging him to zip it all up until he's sure everything will seal properly.

something sounds very strange here so I thought I'd ask the performance experts.

Thanks.

Ignore this member   
kaw-rick

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 11:53 AM        
they have copper gaskets. they must still be stuck to his header.
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted April 13, 2012 12:17 PM        
Mine had them..

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 12:27 PM        Edited By: Lucky14 on 13 Apr 2012 20:29
Wheelie's had them stuck in the head.
Mine had them in in the same place.

I'm guessing that your "buddy" has them in the same place. I suggest using a flashlight.

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 02:30 PM        
he probably thought they were rust rings in there.as you know they crush and have some kind of asbestos looking cloth stuff in them.they are 1 time items .
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted April 13, 2012 03:23 PM        
pfffffft...you can reuse no problem...just go back and retighten after a few heat cycles.

1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted April 13, 2012 03:34 PM        
quote:
pfffffft...you can reuse no problem...just go back and retighten after a few heat cycles.

yep.

wee

Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted April 13, 2012 03:36 PM        
If there was no head gaskets that thing would be loud!!

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 03:59 PM        
quote:

I bet they are stuck up in there still. I'll tell him to make sure and I have drawn his attention to this thread. Would not be good to place new gaskets over the old. I remember one of mine was stuck quite hard on my gen1 like it was wedged in the hole.

He said his pipe cam today and it does have gaskets so this is starting to look more normal.

Thanks.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted April 13, 2012 04:01 PM        
quote:
quote:

I bet they are stuck up in there still. I'll tell him to make sure and I have drawn his attention to this thread. Would not be good to place new gaskets over the old. I remember one of mine was stuck quite hard on my gen1 like it was wedged in the hole.

He said his pipe cam today and it does have gaskets so this is starting to look more normal.

Thanks.
Brock is sending exhaust gaskets with his pipes?

wee

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 04:07 PM        
And thanks for the pic Lucky14.

That shows the "toungue" that sticks across the bottom of the hole. If he needs to pry those suckers out, that would be the thing to twist against. The part of the seat that is covered by the gasket in the picture above is a nice smooth machined surface. Best to avoid scratching that at all costs, hey?

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted April 13, 2012 04:11 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brock is sending exhaust gaskets with his pipes?

wee

That's what he said....fellow member at ninjaforums. Perhaps he ordered the pipe from another supplier and they threw in gaskets? IDK? I can post a link to the thread if you want. Might get a tad confusing as it is a thread about installing Dzus fasteners.....LOL

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted April 14, 2012 05:37 AM        
I just assumed that gaskets would come shipped with my CT Single that I have on order. I have always used new gaskets with new pipes.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted April 14, 2012 07:04 AM        
^^^ nope, I don't think so. Usually people have to buy those sepparately. I did. Schnitz has them or your ddealer for a couple dollars extra. About $16 should do it. Do a search here for proper installation if you get new ones. We have a thread about bevel side in or bevel side out. Works either way but one is proper. forget which way now. My original gaskets were put in both ways as though it doesn't matter.

OK I figured it out. the guy told me he recieved his pipe from Brock and he 'looked and they were in there' meaning the gaskets were in there---in the the manifold not in the box from Brocks. So my guy reused his gaskets and seems to have worked. He rode his new bike and now he's in shock. LOL I woulda guessed-- with all of that power, you do the basic mods and the change is even more noticeable.

Thanks for the help.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted April 14, 2012 07:09 AM        
Here, since I jumped th egun on this and started a thread for nothin...this is the info that anyone should look at if they have exhaust gasket trouble.

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?TID=52338&FID=27

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?TID=46527&FID=1

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 14r, NO exhaust gaskets?? WTF?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22581720352173 seconds processing time