HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: making my own dual exhaust NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: making my own dual exhaust
bentz69

Parking Attendant
posted April 07, 2012 10:34 PM        
making my own dual exhaust

Well kinda...I bought the two bros slip ons for the sound factor and the visual appeal (I love the dual look)

Looking to buy a used header off ebay. Options are, buying the 06-07 header with NO cat in the collector (but possibly smaller diameter piping???) or the 08-11 header (larger diameter???), cutting the collector off, gutting the cat and re-welding the collector.

So far, ive read the larger piping on the 08-11 header was used to offset the cat in the collector. Using the supposed larger piping with a gutted cat would provide more gains then the smaller tubing.

So that leads me to the question. Is it worth the time to cut, hack and weld a 08+ header to make an unknown gain in HP over a 06-07 header?

Also, if a 06-07 header is used on a '11 bike, are the exit ports on the header the same for all years? Meaning, will it line up with my 08-11 slip ons?

Im buying a used header instead of the hacking the one on the bike to avoid down time on the bike.

***After all is said and done, a custom tune on the pc5 will be made to take advantage of the the catless system***

Ignore this member   
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted April 07, 2012 10:39 PM        
first off...welcome to the board.

second...dont waste time/effort on doing that "hack job" on your exhaust, it will likely run worse. Save a few pennies and buy a used system on the board.

2009 ZX-14 SE--has two wheels and an engine

Ignore this member   
bentz69

Parking Attendant
posted April 08, 2012 12:25 AM        
quote:
first off...welcome to the board.

second...dont waste time/effort on doing that "hack job" on your exhaust, it will likely run worse. Save a few pennies and buy a used system on the board.

hacking, gutting and welding is the fun and easy part. already bought new slip ons so im not swapping for a used 4-2-1.

Why do you think it would run worse? As long as your tune is setup to work with your mods then where are the negatives?

Im sure a few extra hp could be had by going with a proven 4-2-1 setup and a custom tune but thats not an option I want to pursue.

Ignore this member   
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted April 08, 2012 01:20 AM        
different strokes for different folks...think of it in a car aspect. go hacking, gutting, welding stuff on the exhaust you wont really get the gains you're aiming for, aside from more noise. If thats what youre after..more power to ya. I'd say exhaust systems were designed to perform a certain way by the way they were designed (stock, aftermarket, drag)

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted April 08, 2012 03:27 AM        
What's wrong with the header you have now? If you want a new header you should have purchased a full system. If you want to see hp numbers, you don't need slip ons. You wasted your money on a pcv when you only have slip ons. There's a lot more to be had between a full system and just slip ons.

Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted April 08, 2012 04:24 AM        
if you want to remove the cat why not use a hammer and a screw driver and be done with it?
I have gutted many cats using that method in the past. Why waste your time cutting it and re-welding it where you have more of chance of screwing it up and requiring more modification?

A cat is only made up of ceramic and and coatings. nothing a hammer cant break up.

Patrick

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted April 08, 2012 05:34 AM        Edited By: venomous_zx on 8 Apr 2012 12:35
You have gutted many cats?? What did they ever do to you? you need help patrick. Lol MEOW

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted April 08, 2012 08:05 AM        
He works at a chinese restaraunt of course.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted April 08, 2012 05:44 PM        
ill take an order of beef lo mein (dog), with a side of chicken chow mein (cat)

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted April 08, 2012 10:16 PM        
quote:
Well kinda...I bought the two bros slip ons for the sound factor and the visual appeal (I love the dual look)

Looking to buy a used header off ebay. Options are, buying the 06-07 header with NO cat in the collector (but possibly smaller diameter piping???) or the 08-11 header (larger diameter???), cutting the collector off, gutting the cat and re-welding the collector.

So far, ive read the larger piping on the 08-11 header was used to offset the cat in the collector. Using the supposed larger piping with a gutted cat would provide more gains then the smaller tubing.

So that leads me to the question. Is it worth the time to cut, hack and weld a 08+ header to make an unknown gain in HP over a 06-07 header?

Also, if a 06-07 header is used on a '11 bike, are the exit ports on the header the same for all years? Meaning, will it line up with my 08-11 slip ons?

Im buying a used header instead of the hacking the one on the bike to avoid down time on the bike.

***After all is said and done, a custom tune on the pc5 will be made to take advantage of the the catless system***
I'd just knock the cat out of your stock header with a hammer and screwdriver like somebody else suggested. The only reason the 08-11 14's had slightly bigger pipes was to counteract the cat. The engines were identical to the 06-07's for all intents and purposes, so an 06-07 header won't hurt power in the least. The 08-11's were actually down on power a fair bit stock from the 06-07's because of an overly rich mixture from the factory. Mapping your bike period will gain you power.
If you want easy I'd buy a 50 buck 06-07 header, bolt it on with some slips and map it, maybe with an Ivans map and tre, and call it quick
After re-reading your post if you have 08-11 slip-ons they won't fit an 06-07 header, at least not without some modifying from what I remember. The 08-11 slips have a bigger inlet than the 06-07 header outlets. I think I remember somebody using some extra gasket to make up the difference?

Ignore this member   
bentz69

Parking Attendant
posted April 09, 2012 10:48 AM        
quote:
What's wrong with the header you have now? If you want a new header you should have purchased a full system. If you want to see hp numbers, you don't need slip ons. You wasted your money on a pcv when you only have slip ons. There's a lot more to be had between a full system and just slip ons.

I want to avoid downtime so buying a used header is cheap. Slip ons already removed the cats in the 2 mufflers and freed up a tiny bit of hp. A catless header adds a little more. Finish it off with a custom tune from my local shop and it will make almost as much as the brand name 4-2-1 systems.

quote:
if you want to remove the cat why not use a hammer and a screw driver and be done with it?
I have gutted many cats using that method in the past. Why waste your time cutting it and re-welding it where you have more of chance of screwing it up and requiring more modification?

A cat is only made up of ceramic and and coatings. nothing a hammer cant break up.

Patrick

Ive heard its pretty damn hard to get all the pieces out but ill the give the smash job a try first id i use the later model header

quote:
I'd just knock the cat out of your stock header with a hammer and screwdriver like somebody else suggested. The only reason the 08-11 14's had slightly bigger pipes was to counteract the cat. The engines were identical to the 06-07's for all intents and purposes, so an 06-07 header won't hurt power in the least. The 08-11's were actually down on power a fair bit stock from the 06-07's because of an overly rich mixture from the factory. Mapping your bike period will gain you power.
If you want easy I'd buy a 50 buck 06-07 header, bolt it on with some slips and map it, maybe with an Ivans map and tre, and call it quick
After re-reading your post if you have 08-11 slip-ons they won't fit an 06-07 header, at least not without some modifying from what I remember. The 08-11 slips have a bigger inlet than the 06-07 header outlets. I think I remember somebody using some extra gasket to make up the difference?

I found out that you can use a 06-07 header with 08-12 slip ons if you purchase the 06-07 gaskets (Part Number 11060-1971...21$ each). they are bit larger in thickness and will allow this work.

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted April 09, 2012 11:45 AM        
quote:
Finish it off with a custom tune from my local shop and it will make almost as much as the brand name 4-2-1 systems.

I don't think so.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted April 09, 2012 12:06 PM        Edited By: Seno on 9 Apr 2012 19:07
Personally I think your better off going outside and pissing into the wind, but then again "one mans garbage is another mans gold". Good luck on your project!

Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted April 09, 2012 12:59 PM        
quote:
He works at a chinese restaraunt of course.

quote:
You have gutted many cats?? What did they ever do to you? you need help patrick. Lol MEOW

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted April 09, 2012 01:45 PM        
quote:
quote:
Finish it off with a custom tune from my local shop and it will make almost as much as the brand name 4-2-1 systems.

I don't think so.

+1
This guy doesn't sound like the brightest crayon in the crayola box.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted April 09, 2012 02:09 PM        
OMG!! Where can I get that free cat?

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted April 09, 2012 02:31 PM        
Me want free cat.

Ignore this member   
drewzx-14

Zone Head
Andrew
posted April 09, 2012 05:43 PM        
Lol

Ignore this member    Click here to visit drewzx-14's homepage. 
MJ

Zone Head
posted April 09, 2012 06:53 PM        
quote:
Me want free cat.
If you order chinese food in the area that picture was taken you might just get it...yum yum
I'm sure with that big ole sign somebody scooped that free protein up quick

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted April 09, 2012 07:09 PM        
i have a 08 header with cat gutted u pay shipping its urs.
  Ignore this member   
bentz69

Parking Attendant
posted May 07, 2012 07:31 PM        
Headers and mid pipes back from ceramic coating. So im running a catless setup with two brothers cans on a 2011. I have a pc5 on the way thats actually loaded with brocks street map already. Ill be running that for the time being until I get to the dyno and have a custom tune.

Still debating on getting guhls flash first before I do the custom tune.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/cimg1500w.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/cimg1506o.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/cimg1501s.jpg/][/URL]
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/cimg1502se.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/cimg1503e.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/cimg1504wk.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/cimg1505t.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/cimg1507.jpg/][/URL]

Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted May 07, 2012 09:02 PM        
looks great. I hope you like your ceramic coating as much as I do.
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: making my own dual exhaust NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.341335058212 seconds processing time