HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: FI error code 51 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
edszx14

Expert Class
posted April 07, 2012 06:32 AM        
FI error code 51

I need ya'll help. Last night at the track the bike pulled a wheelie to about 10 or 11 o'clock. It came down hard and after that the red light in the upper left hand corner came on with the message "FI ERROR". The bike basically went into a default mode and then quit running. I look in the manual and did the test on the dash panel and it give the service code of "51". The manual says this is the #1 stick coil. I reset the connector on the coil, no help. I swapped the nbr 1 coil and spark plug with the nbr 4 coil and spark plug, no help. I then disconnected the negative wire of the battery where it connects to the frame and reset the connectors on the ECU, still no help. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions as to what to do. Thanks so much.

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted April 07, 2012 07:50 AM        
I guess electrical problems is one of my weak points, but since the bike slam down hard, you may have damaged a wire. Not likely, here's what I would test unplug the number one Coil wire,unplug the main harness at the ECU, if you have a omes meter check it, it should show the same reading if you touch the two wires together coming straight off the meter, I would check number one, and then one of the other wires, coming off the coils to the ECU. This would eliminate a cut wire. The only other thing I can recommend if you know someone else that has a spare ECU to swap out and see if it is in the ECU?

don't use the red wire on the coils, number one is white with red tracer, number two. White with blue tracer, number three white with green tracer, number four white with yellow tracer,

Ken

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted April 07, 2012 08:23 AM        
one other thing I remember, the main plug-in for the fuel injection has a bracket that locks into on top of the motor near the starter. When I put my PC on. I did not reconnect the plug to the motor bracket, it rattled around on top of that bracket until it rubbed a hole in the wire, I started getting codes say. My ECU was bad, it took me a long time to find this. I just taped the wires up and everything was okay. just thought I would add that in.

Ken

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted April 07, 2012 09:25 AM        
quote:
I need ya'll help. Last night at the track the bike pulled a wheelie to about 10 or 11 o'clock. It came down hard and after that the red light in the upper left hand corner came on with the message "FI ERROR". The bike basically went into a default mode and then quit running. I look in the manual and did the test on the dash panel and it give the service code of "51". The manual says this is the #1 stick coil. I reset the connector on the coil, no help. I swapped the nbr 1 coil and spark plug with the nbr 4 coil and spark plug, no help. I then disconnected the negative wire of the battery where it connects to the frame and reset the connectors on the ECU, still no help. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions as to what to do. Thanks so much.
Ed i'm sorry i don't have answer to your problem ...I take this happened at the track , as in drag strip ? A few here have had problems like you because the rear tire rubbed a hole in the undertail and rubbed the wiring at the ECU ...I would take a look at that , if nothing else you will be able to rule that problem out ..

Ignore this member   
edszx14

Expert Class
posted April 07, 2012 09:47 AM        
Hello Rich Craft and Smokin. Thanks so much for your input. I did the continuity check and all was good. The problem is now fixed, i hope. A friend of mine came over and we discussed the problem and reset the main connector on top of the motor that the coil wires connectors go to. I also found a wire in the rear of the bike back by the ECU that was pinched and had wiring exposed. This wire was going to my kill box for my airshifter so this could have been the main culprit. Everytime i reset a connector I would turn the key on and the "FI ERROR" message was there. Even after I found the exposed wire and move it from touching the frame the message was there. Not until I started the bike did the message go away. The bike now starts and runs sounds good. I did call Kawasaki and they said the only way to clear the code was to bring the bike to them so they could reset it with their computer. We all now know thats not the case. Just turning the key on will not reset the code but starting the bike did reset the system. I really do appreciate you guys input. Ride safe.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: FI error code 51 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.26383805274963 seconds processing time