HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Is the new 14R the technological advance everyone was hoping for? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
tour10

Parking Attendant
posted April 05, 2012 05:42 AM        
Is the new 14R the technological advance everyone was hoping for?

Hi all, been waiting awhile to ask this question, wanted the folks who went from the 06/11 zx14's to the 2012 14R to get some seat time on there new bikes. Is the new 14R that much better then its predecessor? I've rode sportbikes for the last 20yrs & had good bikes that i traded in for the latest & greatest only to be somewhat disappointed in, which wasn't the case with most of the bikes but there were a couple that i wasn't to happy with. I love talking bikes, let me know your folks true unbiased opinions, thoughts, recommendations,or what kawi could of done different with this new bike. thanks

Ignore this member   
kaw-rick

Pro
posted April 05, 2012 06:01 AM        
im getting used to the power already. my honest opinion is if you have a 06-11 set-up already. keep it. build motor if needed. if you dont have a bike def buy a new zx14. but dont pay msrp.
  Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted April 05, 2012 06:08 AM        Edited By: MJ on 5 Apr 2012 20:08
Or turbo your 06-11 if you can afford it. A lot cheaper than buying the 14R and I highly doubt anybodies EVER going to produce a 280rwhp sportsbike, which will make you pretty much King of the streets forever except for maybe another occasional boosted bike
  Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 05, 2012 06:34 AM        
I'm loving the traction/wheelie control! The power is nice coming from a speed triple to a zx14. It's not near as heavy feeling as I expected, either. I've already got the tire worn right off the edges, no chicken strips here.
  Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted April 05, 2012 07:02 AM        
quote:
Or turbo your 06-11 if you can afford it. A lot cheaper than buying the 14R and I highly doubt anybodies EVER going to produce a 280rwhp sportsbike, which will make you pretty much King of the streets forever except for maybe another occasional boosted bike

But turbo kits aren't exactly cheap either. And while a pre-2012 would be faster on psi than the 14R without, I just felt that I'd have greater reliability with the new bike, and really not have to spend that much more. The 2006-11 model is a great bike. But "Apples to Apples" - or turbos to turbos - the new 14R seems to be a superior machine.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted April 05, 2012 07:17 AM        
The new bike is fantastic. Built motors usually come with a host of issues and hidden expenses.

Shane

Ignore this member   
ZX14 Montana

Novice Class
posted April 05, 2012 10:41 AM        
Get the new ZX14R...period! Sooooo much better than the 06-11. I have had the pervious model so I do speak from experience. This 2012 ZX is a different bike than the 06-11 14's. You would be ripping yourself off; you would be playing a joke on yourself, if you do not find a way; money, permission, moon and sun are not aligned, horoscope is not what it needs to be, etc. etc. whatever is in the way...remove it. You must have this bike. May the force be with you.
  Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted April 05, 2012 04:04 PM        Edited By: blue07 on 6 Apr 2012 06:09
Well...I totally LOVE my 14R...coming from 4 and a half years of a sweet,though fairly basic 07 14.

This bike is to me way ahead of my beloved 07.WAY.In every way...this baby performs excellently.I don't drag...race(except myself)...or do burnouts.None of that for me.BUT...I love carving with this bike...and I love the smoothness that they built into this awesome platform for sport riding.

I got thoroughly flamed for saying"it's a better bike" on another forum I belong to...but...to me...it is.No apologies here from me.I had a very nice 14....this one's WAY nicer and much more enjoyable(to me).It's so nice,I really can't see modding her at all.Did the Guhl flash for the flies and top speed limiter removal...upped the rpms to 200 more...and that's it.She runs like a dream.

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted April 05, 2012 06:49 PM        
It's too early in my ownership of the 2012 to give a full answer to tour10's question, only had mine a few days. One thing that I did notice immediately though was the handling. It wasn't just the benefit of riding on new rubber, I'm sure it handles lighter and easier than the 2006-2011 bikes.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted April 05, 2012 09:57 PM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 6 Apr 2012 11:59
WOW i dont get it i have only 600 miles on my new 14r,i just sold my 2009 14 9 months ago. I love my new 14 but i think the other one was great too. It was super smooth and drove like a dream,the only REAL difference i see is more power everywhere esp.up top,and i love the new KTRAC. But really i thought the old one handled great for its size,once u pulled away it handle great in the turns. I'm sorry i didnt notice that much of a difference,i can still remember my first ride on my 09 14 after coming off my gixxer 1000 and thinking HOLLY SHIT this thing is SMOOTH and a TQ monster. And now im even getting use to the power it has already. That why i just got the new ct pipe from brocks and pc,hopefully it adds some good power.

Ignore this member   
Lsantana954

Expert Class
posted April 06, 2012 06:31 AM        
personally i would have rather had the ABS then traction control
'87 Buick Grand National

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted April 06, 2012 09:27 AM        
quote:
quote:

But turbo kits aren't exactly cheap either. And while a pre-2012 would be faster on psi than the 14R without, I just felt that I'd have greater reliability with the new bike, and really not have to spend that much more. The 2006-11 model is a great bike. But "Apples to Apples" - or turbos to turbos - the new 14R seems to be a superior machine.
I spent 7200 on my 06 14 in 07 with 1600 miles on it. I picked up a good used ceramic coated turbo kit with lock up clutch, full exhaust and shortened pan for under 3 grand. Installed it myself. I'm a pretty good wrench, I wouldn't recommend a complete newbie install their own kit, but for the last 2 seasons and 8k miles my turbo 14 has been flawless. I treat it a little gentler than I would a stocker, but I still have PLENTY of fun I rode a stock 14R, its a VERY nice bike. It felt weak compared to my boosted 14, but made my modded 04 busa feel like a 600. It has much better suspension than the gen1, and seemed to feel a little lighter on its feet, even tho I think it looks bigger in person. Its a little lower than I liked tho. Plus I think its better looking than the first gen. Overall I think its a great technological advancement.....I give kawi
I wouldn't get rid of my 10 grand turbo 06 for one tho.
But maybe someday.......boosted of course

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted April 06, 2012 10:43 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 7 Apr 2012 00:44
" It felt weak compared to my boosted 14,"....sometimes...ignorance is bliss=).

I had no expectations...other than she's a Kawasaki,and I did expect the quality to be there.It is....along with everything else I could want.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Is the new 14R the technological advance everyone was hoping for? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2687840461731 seconds processing time