HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: What do you guys think about extended oil changes..as in 5years/4500 miles lol NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
MJ

Zone Head
posted March 27, 2012 04:11 AM        Edited By: MJ on 27 Mar 2012 18:14
What do you guys think about extended oil changes..as in 5years/4500 miles lol

I just read on the busa forum about a guy that runs 5 years/4500 miles on his oil changes with mobil 1 bike syn and factory filter. http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/161760-have-bud-rode-4500-miles-5-years-hasnt-changed-syn-oil-filter-until-now.html

Seems like a waste to change a good syn at such low mileage?

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted March 27, 2012 01:27 PM        
4500 miles or 5 years? damn son....get out an ride the thing.
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted March 27, 2012 01:36 PM        
I bet he's fine! even car companys are promoting 7500+ mile oil changes now. On my new truck they said go by the oil life meter which if I did would be over 10,000 miles which I won't do. 5000 yes 10,000 no.
  Ignore this member   
sands

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2012 01:57 PM        
Perhaps 4500 might be o.k. but 5 years ? No way.

Ignore this member   
cruiserman_83

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2012 08:29 PM        
If you only ride 4500miles in 5 years, why the hell do you own a bike?? Unless u only do drag racing, but even then, thats a lot of drag miles.....
  Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted March 27, 2012 08:59 PM        
quote:
If you only ride 4500miles in 5 years, why the hell do you own a bike?? Unless u only do drag racing, but even then, thats a lot of drag miles.....

I have over 4,500 miles on mine and I got it in 09, but it's all dragstrip miles.

Ignore this member   
cruiserman_83

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2012 09:21 PM        
Thats a different story. Drag miles are worth more than road miles. Im used to seeing 2 or 3 year old bikes with less than 2000km on them
  Ignore this member   
AcadianaZX

Advertiser
posted March 27, 2012 11:57 PM        
4500 miles is ok, but should change oil on a yearly basis due to each oils specific shelf life. Hopefully he didn't go the whole 5 years on 1 filter. Even a filter with synthetic filter media will degrade faster than the oil.

James

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted March 28, 2012 06:01 AM        
quote:
4500 miles is ok, but should change oil on a yearly basis due to each oils specific shelf life. Hopefully he didn't go the whole 5 years on 1 filter. Even a filter with synthetic filter media will degrade faster than the oil.

James
According to that thread he did use the same filter for 5 years. So you think the filter would break down from just mostly sitting in oil, since the mileage was pretty low? I would think a filter designed to be immersed in oil wouldn't degrade from being in it? I could see it plugging with dirt with too many miles on it though. My dad has quite a few older vehicles he drives maybe once a year for a few miles, alternating them through the years. Some of his vehicles sit for years at a time with the same filters and dino oil even ( he doesn't believe in syn oil). They seem to run fine except his carbs are always plugging up and constant battery replacing lol.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted March 28, 2012 06:06 AM        
5 years is a long time for oil. Condensation and contamination are a bitch.
  Ignore this member   
AcadianaZX

Advertiser
posted March 28, 2012 06:15 AM        
quote:
quote:

James
According to that thread he did use the same filter for 5 years. So you think the filter would break down from just mostly sitting in oil, since the mileage was pretty low? I would think a filter designed to be immersed in oil wouldn't degrade from being in it? I could see it plugging with dirt with too many miles on it though. My dad has quite a few older vehicles he drives maybe once a year for a few miles, alternating them through the years. Some of his vehicles sit for years at a time with the same filters and dino oil even ( he doesn't believe in syn oil). They seem to run fine except his carbs are always plugging up and constant battery replacing lol.
Most filters are made of paper elements. That's mainly the ones I would worry about.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted March 28, 2012 07:27 AM        
I recommend www.bobistheoilguy.com if anyone wants to learn the most basic facts about engine oil. His Motor Oil University articles will at least allow you to spot a bullshitter in normal conversation.

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted March 28, 2012 01:19 PM        
Thanks for the website info MMA-TV. And if you're the same MMA-TV as on sopcast, thanks again bud, you rock!!!
I do wonder if I need to tell my dad his filters could be coming apart from being on his cars so long. I don't think he's ever considered that. I suppose the best way to know is to cut one open?

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 28, 2012 11:38 PM        
its possible the paper filters could degrade for that much time. i never let mine sit that much... i always change my oil frequently......and of course filter....if you were to let it sit and not change oil for a while i assume the filter would become a heavy ass paper weight from all the dirt and debris its traps from the oil... eventually they will clog up and thats when shit happens... gasket rots and then burts... then you got a oil leak. once filter gets clogged then it does not work like its supposed to. all the dirt enters your engine... you may develop oil leaks from normal usage like the head or valve gasket...but at the same time your oil may become thick and clog the leaks for you... but when you do change filter and oil, the fresh oil may wash out the old dingy oil that clogged the leak... now you got a fresh leak... thats my 2 cents....
op top of that i work my ass off to get my bike and fix it up... i wont let a 40-50 dollar oil and filter change cause me to have problems in the future from not doing them..

if you do choose this route to change at 5 years or 4500 miles then at least add some marvel mystery oil into your oil.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: What do you guys think about extended oil changes..as in 5years/4500 miles lol NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.45802021026611 seconds processing time