HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Yoshimura Japan OK ... but USA for zx-14r !? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Yoshimura Japan OK ... but USA for zx-14r !? [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ]
drewzx-14

Zone Head
Andrew
posted April 26, 2012 07:29 PM        
Great let us now how that works out for you. Congrats on the new pipe. Be sure to post pics. I do agree with affordability in your decision. That is something that I will be considering upon my purchase.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit drewzx-14's homepage. 
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted April 27, 2012 03:28 PM        
I like the looks of the CT series ALOT......very nice looking. I'm not a fan of the AH tho, I guess I do prefer the look of a smaller traditional can. Yoshi's new cans and the CT's look similiar, and I like them both
I also need a quieter pipe for street riding as well, I kinda prefer the inserts because they keep the price down, and I can put them in or take them out when I choose.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 27, 2012 08:26 PM        
I got the r77 installed tonight. Took about 2 hours and went smooth. Sounds perfect, looks great, but I still have 87 octane gas in the tank and it knocks if I get on it so I haven't had a chance to ring it out yet.
  Ignore this member   
fullzx12r

Zone Head
French Guy
posted April 27, 2012 10:41 PM        
we want pics pics pics
zzr 1400 12'

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fullzx12r's homepage. 
fullzx12r

Zone Head
French Guy
posted April 27, 2012 10:42 PM        
quote:
$900 for the yosh delivered is tough for a $1800 CT system to compete with, IMO.

+ 1441 ...
zzr 1400 12'

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fullzx12r's homepage. 
Brock

Sponsor
posted April 27, 2012 10:57 PM        
quote:
I got the r77 installed tonight. Took about 2 hours and went smooth. Sounds perfect, looks great, but I still have 87 octane gas in the tank and it knocks if I get on it so I haven't had a chance to ring it out yet.

When you say "knocks" do you think it is igniton ping? Do you have a power commander or any type of mapping to match your exhaust? I'm not trying to scare you, but detonation or pre-ignition is an engine killer. Please put 93 octane fuel in your bike ASAP to prevent engine damage and call Yosh for advice on what to do next.

Brock
Www.BrocksPerformance.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
Neilp

Novice Class
posted April 28, 2012 06:14 AM        
Has anyone had success with contacting Yoshi USA? I have sent several emails to the sales team, and have yet to get a reply.

Neil

Ignore this member   
kawanator

Novice Class
posted April 28, 2012 08:05 AM        
I got to say, DB plugs are a great option, even if the pipes aren't too noisy, the plugs still gives a second choice when required, nice and quiet, to keep the cops and the neighbours happy !
For me, as a street rider, that is a feature I would look for when the time comes for me to buy.

Ignore this member   
drewzx-14

Zone Head
Andrew
posted April 28, 2012 11:26 AM        Edited By: drewzx-14 on 28 Apr 2012 18:26
+1 on the pics of the yoshi R77.. we need pics!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit drewzx-14's homepage. 
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 11:46 AM        
quote:
quote:

When you say "knocks" do you think it is igniton ping? Do you have a power commander or any type of mapping to match your exhaust? I'm not trying to scare you, but detonation or pre-ignition is an engine killer. Please put 93 octane fuel in your bike ASAP to prevent engine damage and call Yosh for advice on what to do next.

Brock

Its definitely spark knock. Happens when rolling on throttle under 4k rpm. I heard it rattle once, then tried it again just to verify and havent loaded the engine enough to do it again. Its just a couple gallons so topping off with premium should fix it.

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 03:51 PM        
After I saw and heard the Brocks system I knew it was the perfect pipe for the ZX14 . I have the CT Duals on order but won't have them for till mid June. Most have told me that the sound isn't overly loud, but that of course is left to the listeners ear. I love Yoshimura pipes as well as Akropovich, but the CT's just fit the ZX14. The shorter clean looking can is perfect. To my eye the Yosh pipe is just too big, and the Akro for the 14R is even bigger.

Brock-I would keep my eye on your brand image as it relates to your pipes being "drag" pipes. That will close a segment of your market.. There are plenty of folks in the sport bike world who don't identify themselves in that respect and to some degree your brand is mis catergorized as just a "drag pipe" not intended for the street. I know that isn't true, but perception is reality and only good marketing and brand awareness can change that over time. At this point your brand is almost "boutique" in it's market position, with the brand loyalists still finding safe haven in the old tried and true. Nothing wrong with that because they have proved themselves. That said, eagerly awaiting my CT Duals but I may be a future cusetomer for the quiet kore cans after a while who knows

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 03:56 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brock

Its definitely spark knock. Happens when rolling on throttle under 4k rpm. I heard it rattle once, then tried it again just to verify and havent loaded the engine enough to do it again. Its just a couple gallons so topping off with premium should fix it.

Def need to get it tuned and get your AFR's in line. Detonation is NOT a good thing for your engine. I'm always a little surprised how often folks put new full exhaust systems on their bikes without changing the AFR's. I've always considered it a must.

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 03:57 PM        
quote:
Has anyone had success with contacting Yoshi USA? I have sent several emails to the sales team, and have yet to get a reply.

Neil

That's odd. Before I ordered my CT system, I was asking about their offering and they always responded same day or very near it.

Ignore this member   
Kawifast

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 04:00 PM        
quote:
I like the looks of the CT series ALOT......very nice looking. I'm not a fan of the AH tho, I guess I do prefer the look of a smaller traditional can. Yoshi's new cans and the CT's look similiar, and I like them both
I also need a quieter pipe for street riding as well, I kinda prefer the inserts because they keep the price down, and I can put them in or take them out when I choose.

Sorry for so many back to back posts here Kind of an exhaust junkie and these threads get my attention. I agree with this comment regarding the need for some level of quiet though, but even more with the comment on dislike of the Alien Head. That is NOT a pipe I would put on my bike.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 09:16 PM        
kawifast, the spark knock on my bike is from low octane gas, not a lean fuel mixture.
  Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 09:24 PM        
Exhaust done, plastic not reinstalled yet.

Looks like one of the collector springs is actually touching the oil filter. Not sure how that will affect oil change procedure.

Kinda close to the radiator, but there's still 1/4" gap so I hope it doesn't move that much.

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 09:32 PM        
My phone has mysteriously stopped accessing the SD card so I don't have any pics of the bike fully assembled yet. I'll get that done tomorrow with a real camera.
  Ignore this member   
chicken strips

Parking Attendant
posted April 28, 2012 10:01 PM        
Thanks for the pics on your install. I am in the middle of the exhaust all myself. If you can please post a pic of how the fairing mid sections install back to the cowling. The service manual is vague on the install instructions. Do you push the fairing midsection forward to get back on the hooks or do you need to work the midsection in from another angle?
  Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 28, 2012 10:23 PM        
Yes, that was the trickiest part of the bodywork. I connected those hook things first, installed that plastic rivet under the nose of the bike at the very front of the side piece, then started the back bolt and left it loose so I could arrange everything in between like the rubber gasket thing, other bolt holes, and the remaining plastic rivet under the nose.

I fought basically every piece of bodywork putting this bike back together. The side grills were the easiest part. I was cussing the engineer who designed that gas tank cover. Oh well, one of the reasons I bought this bike over a Hayabusa was because the body is much better finished and this is the price I pay for that clean look. Hopefully I never have to take it apart again!

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted April 30, 2012 06:17 AM        
quote:
After I saw and heard the Brocks system I knew it was the perfect pipe for the ZX14 . I have the CT Duals on order but won't have them for till mid June. Most have told me that the sound isn't overly loud, but that of course is left to the listeners ear. I love Yoshimura pipes as well as Akropovich, but the CT's just fit the ZX14. The shorter clean looking can is perfect. To my eye the Yosh pipe is just too big, and the Akro for the 14R is even bigger.

Brock-I would keep my eye on your brand image as it relates to your pipes being "drag" pipes. That will close a segment of your market.. There are plenty of folks in the sport bike world who don't identify themselves in that respect and to some degree your brand is mis catergorized as just a "drag pipe" not intended for the street. I know that isn't true, but perception is reality and only good marketing and brand awareness can change that over time. At this point your brand is almost "boutique" in it's market position, with the brand loyalists still finding safe haven in the old tried and true. Nothing wrong with that because they have proved themselves. That said, eagerly awaiting my CT Duals but I may be a future cusetomer for the quiet kore cans after a while who knows

Kawifast.
VERY valid point and I fight it all of the time. We MARKET using drag racing because it;s a great way to PROVE our results on a national/international level. The time clock's don't lie and they are the same all over the world... but how to you properly display street performance? Our Facebook pages help A BUNCH, but many people still don't embrace Facebook.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com

Brock

Sponsor
posted April 30, 2012 06:29 AM        
quote:
You might appreciate the design.......pretty easy to see which area of the rpm band this pipe is for......

Warbird,

Nice stuff! My Superbike system actually had the Hex shaped collector section. Well, at least it did when Don first sent it to me. After all of my nitrous backfires ( the bike made 125 RWHP and I stacked 180 MORE HP on top of that with a progressive wet system ) it looked more like Heineken keg when I sent it back to him! That bike was a mess; 750 cc's, I left the line at 11,700 rpm (nitrous in the clutch lever) and shifted at 15K ( no shit, it had a Yoshi Superbike cylinder head with all Ti valves!) with a 7" slick and bars it ran 8.0's at 165 MPH in 2000. That's the one that would backfire and blow me off ever once in a while. Go you YouTube a search "drag racer blows off hand"... that's me. Gawd, I hated that bike... but I used to blow up/burn up and destroy some REALLY COOL shit with it!

Brock

Sponsor
posted April 30, 2012 06:46 AM        Edited By: Brock on 30 Apr 2012 13:47
mma-tv,

Sorry to jack your thread up also. I'll stay on task.

Put in at least the min octane for the bike, the knock should go away... if it doesn't, I need you to understand something VERY IMPORTANT:

Spark knock/detonation is the collision of multiple flame fronts in your combustion chamber. It is SO VIOLENT, the metallic noise you hear is like two hammers smashing together. Think of it as JACK HAMMERS on top of your pistons!!! It can destroy your rod bearings in a matter of seconds.

Do not let it happen - EVER, not even for a moment. I have seen guys build high performance engines and not realize they needed to run higher octane fuel, kill there cranks on their break in ride...

The OEMS know guys will run 87 Octane, my guess is that it's not your fuel type? The only time I would see that as being a problem would be high load/high heat situations. If the 14r's were pinging with 87, guys would be screaming on the boards... especially with stock exhausts. If you are louder and can hear it?

Not sure what's up, just be careful. Maybe you should switch stations also, could be poor quality fuel? We have guys running our pipes with no map. We had one guy say he heard his bike spark knock on start up when it's very hot at the track... I told him to go to 93 over his 89 since he's in a very hot climate. He is already running our map.

Hope this helps.

Brock

mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 30, 2012 07:27 AM        Edited By: mma-tv on 30 Apr 2012 14:35
Oh don't worry, I'm quite familiar with spark knock and I know better than to keep doing it after I identify it. I'm a mustang guy and have been around drag/street racing for many years. I've seen combustion chambers in aluminum heads that looked like someone took a ball peen hammer to them after someone sprayed a 150 shot without retarding timing. Even a couple folded rods on high dollar motors when the MSD retard failed.

You're a bike guy, do you remember Ike Hamma? I used to work for him at Digital Delay and even developed a few features on their latest products.

Also, I'm 99% sure it's the fuel because it never had a problem until I tried a couple gallons of 87 octane in a near empty tank. Over 12:1 comp ratio is never going to agree with 87 octane, imo. I just thought id try it after reading on here that it worked in some bikes. I was hoping the bike may have a knock sensor and just kill timing before detonation got serious, but that is obviously not the case. Work and weather have conspired to keep me off the bike for a few days but tomorrow is all mine to prove this theory correct. I am sure a tank of premium will take care of it.

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted May 01, 2012 08:49 AM        
I don't know of Ike Hamma.

Nope, bikes are still very primitive. The only knock sensor equipped sportbike on the market, as far as I know, is the BMW S1000RR. The only place I would ever suggest 87 Octane would be in a 'start up and go' drag race situation... not street use. That's sort of one of the problems with forums, people usually don't take the time to put all of the *'s up as they display their results.

Best of luck with your project.

Brock

mma-tv

Expert Class
posted May 01, 2012 12:29 PM        
Ike Hamma invented the delay box, owned Digital Delay and used to race bikes in the 70s. He moved on to cars once Kawasaki took over the world in drag racing.

Topped off the tank with 91 octane today. Detonation is gone. Thanks for the advice!

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Yoshimura Japan OK ... but USA for zx-14r !? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.332245111465 seconds processing time