HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: tire pressure??? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
motomoto

Novice Class
posted March 24, 2012 06:48 AM        
tire pressure???

What pressure should I be running in my stock tires on my 07 14? I weigh 270 the tire is wearing out in the center at 35 psi?? It's actually gotten s bad that it almost feels square its scary feeling in a turn. I bought it with 1600 miles and am now at 3000 this tire is about shot now but I don't want to repeat this again with a new tire. suggestins? Also what brand tires do you guys recommend? primarily street riding, maybe drag strip a couple times a year when I work up enough nerve.

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted March 24, 2012 06:58 AM        
quote:
What pressure should I be running in my stock tires on my 07 14? I weigh 270 the tire is wearing out in the center at 35 psi?? It's actually gotten s bad that it almost feels square its scary feeling in a turn. I bought it with 1600 miles and am now at 3000 this tire is about shot now but I don't want to repeat this again with a new tire. suggestins? Also what brand tires do you guys recommend? primarily street riding, maybe drag strip a couple times a year when I work up enough nerve.

The manual calls for 42 psi.

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted March 24, 2012 07:06 AM        Edited By: shawnski on 24 Mar 2012 15:18
for your weight is 35 is too low..
i am 200 pound suited and i always put 38 and my tires last long time.. you might need to go 40... i always check mine when is heat on tires after riding for a while and it goes to about 40 psi.

michelin pilot 2 is been good to me!!

Ignore this member   
Vertigo99

Novice Class
posted March 24, 2012 07:38 AM        
I'm 240 suited, run the manual-recommended 42psi on Pilot Power 2s. The PPs are a lot more stable and predictable in turns, unlike the crap stock tires. Do yourself a favor and get decent tires.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted March 24, 2012 11:28 AM        
If you ride straight a lot, your tires are going to wear in the center, that's all that touching while riding straight.
As far as which tire, there are a lot of good tires out there. Depends on what your wanting from the tire. Just remember the stickier it is, tue shorter it's life is going to be.

Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted March 24, 2012 12:13 PM        
when your tire pressure is low, the center will wear a lot faster.
Pick your new tires according to your riding style. If you only commute, longer wearing tires are better. If you like cornering, you need stickier tires. Dual compound can give you longer life and cornering ability. Longer wearing tires and dual compound will not hook as well on the track, however, since the harder compound will be the one making contact with the pavement.
There was (at least when it was new) a data sticker on the swingarm that tells you that 42psi is recommended. With a heavy load, like you and me, might require a slightly different pressure, BUT 42 to be safe.
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
motomoto

Novice Class
posted March 24, 2012 03:21 PM        
Thanks guys for all the info. I'd like to stretch it a little so not sure how much cornering I'll be doing afterward. It's no corner carver now tht's for sure. A lot of that could be contributed to the tires I guess though
  Ignore this member   
greenspider

Parking Attendant
Speed FR3Ak
posted April 02, 2012 06:48 PM        
Pp ct2 from michlen I got7000 miles on them and still going

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted April 02, 2012 06:56 PM        
Michelin pilot road 2 or pilot pure are the highest mile sport tires I know of.

The tires will always square off like that unless you ride some serious curves or do trackdays.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted April 02, 2012 08:16 PM        
I always run my tire psi about 39 or 40. Sometimes 38. that gives room for expansion when heat kicks in

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted April 02, 2012 08:53 PM        Edited By: Bad in Black on 3 Apr 2012 04:56
I run 40-42....seems to work well for me, at least on my busa. Now that I've boosted my 14 nothing works on it, shreds everything super fast at any pressures. I suppose it doesn't help I have a heavy wrist
And I only got 2200 miles I believe out of the bt-14's that came stock on my 06 before I boosted it. And the front cupped by then, plus they didn't stick all that well. They truly were crap tires.

Ignore this member   
BIG BLUE_ZX14

Expert Class
posted April 02, 2012 10:22 PM        Edited By: BIG BLUE_ZX14 on 3 Apr 2012 06:22
Once the stockers wore out I used several sets of Pilot Powers with no complaints. I have since moved on to Pilot Power 2CT's which I like even better; sticky, good feedback, and moderate miles. The Michelin's have more of a conical shape than most tires which can take some getting used to. The recommended pressures are as follows:

PP front: 36-38 psi PP rear: 35-37 psi

PP 2CT's front and rear: 32-34 psi

The 2CT's have a softer rubber tread but they have a stiffer sidewall and carcass which allows them to run at their lower psi. While the PP have a softer sidewall and carcass which requires higher psi.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: tire pressure??? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.659317970276 seconds processing time