HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Chain adjustment required during/after lowering? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Goldwingmann

Expert Class
posted March 15, 2012 01:33 PM        Edited By: Goldwingmann on 15 Mar 2012 21:35
Chain adjustment required during/after lowering?

Going to install adjustable lowering links and drop the rear about 1.5". Is is necessary to readjust the chain during this process or will it maintain the current stock tightness?

NInja

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted March 15, 2012 01:38 PM        
i still would check it regardless..easy fix..

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 15, 2012 01:56 PM        
let somebody that knows what they are doing wrench on your bike because it sure is`nt you.if you don`t have the common sense to follow a service manual then pay somebody to do it right. your safety and life depends on it. you must have an aptitude to wrench on anything.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted March 15, 2012 03:48 PM        
quote:
let somebody that knows what they are doing wrench on your bike because it sure is`nt you.if you don`t have the common sense to follow a service manual then pay somebody to do it right. your safety and life depends on it. you must have an aptitude to wrench on anything.

+1

Ignore this member   
Viper

Expert Class
posted March 15, 2012 03:49 PM        
Wow

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 15, 2012 04:11 PM        
Yes, it will need to be adjusted.

Shane

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 15, 2012 04:16 PM        Edited By: venomous_zx on 16 Mar 2012 00:33
quote:
Yes, it will need to be adjusted.

Shane

like shane said... i just lowered mine today... chain got really tight.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 15, 2012 04:37 PM        
+1, if you are not sure pay someone to do the job who knows. I'm not knocking you because I am in the same boat more often then not... Put a price on your life or limbs....priceless! At the least get your hands on the service manual and follow what they say so you don't mess anything up. Besides, if you find a really good local shop (Like LI Kawasaki in Hicksville) , they might have a racer on staff that knows exactly how to setup your bike for the absolute best performance..... Personally I would rather do the job the best I can then do it half ass...

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted March 15, 2012 04:43 PM        
maybe I'm not reading the OP first post correct, but I think he is asking if he will "need" to tighten the chain after he installs lowering links, I don't see him asking "how" to tighten a chain.. as Shane posted yes you will.

wee

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 15, 2012 04:57 PM        
i do all my work on my bike....we were all at one time somewhat clueless.... i prefer to do all my work myself... i just found a nail in my rear tire today... stealership wanted to charge me dam near 80 to patch the tire.... so i patched it myself.. .. anyways goldwingman, its not that hard to lower the bike.... it can get annoying at time especially if you dont have the right tools... oh and an extra pair of hands will help...

for the rear: you need to remove the lower black fin and bracket. bracket has 3 10mm bolts. fall right off. next you need to loosen the locking nuts on the factory dogbones.. i forgot the sizes... the nut and bolt are 2 different sizes. there is only 2 bolts that hold the dogbones in. one on top the other on bottom...( if you have little to medium hands then you wont have to remove the exhasut cans.. somehwat tight squeeze.) besure to "not lift bike" from the swingarm. once you remove the 2 dogbone bolts the rear tire/swingarm will slam straight on down. this is where the xtra hands comes in handy.. easy way to put bolts in is to lift rear tire till you get to your desired bolt hole. then just reverse process.
some ppl lift bike high enuff to put a jack under rear tire to lift the tire/swingarm up if they dont have xtra pair of hands.

for the front: remove front plastic from underneath the headlights. it has 2 pushclips and a bolt. look for 2 sets of bolts... 2 one the left fork and 2 on the right fork. they are 10mm also.. on top look for the bolt that clamps the top part of the forks. only one bolt per side. they are right next the wires that go into the light and starter buttons. the bolts are horizontal. be sure to lift bike from the frame or some ppl lift from underneath the exhaust/oilpan. loosen all 6 bolts. then the best way to lift the forks is to push them up while twisting... that xtra pair of hands comes in handy here too. you need to be sure and have both sides the same... a micrometer comes in handy to be dam near exact. tighten bolts once you get desired height. putplastic back on.( if you lift the bike from the front tire or forks, once you loosen the bolts the front end comes crashing down.)... thats the base for lowering the bike. just ask if you have more questions

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 15, 2012 04:58 PM        
oh yeah...have fun... dont drink and work on your bike... lol

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted March 15, 2012 04:59 PM        
quote:
i do all my work on my bike....we were all at one time somewhat clueless.... i prefer to do all my work myself... i just found a nail in my rear tire today... stealership wanted to charge me dam near 80 to patch the tire.... so i patched it myself.. .. anyways goldwingman, its not that hard to lower the bike.... it can get annoying at time especially if you dont have the right tools... oh and an extra pair of hands will help...

for the rear: you need to remove the lower black fin and bracket. bracket has 3 10mm bolts. fall right off. next you need to loosen the locking nuts on the factory dogbones.. i forgot the sizes... the nut and bolt are 2 different sizes. there is only 2 bolts that hold the dogbones in. one on top the other on bottom...( if you have little to medium hands then you wont have to remove the exhasut cans.. somehwat tight squeeze.) besure to "not lift bike" from the swingarm. once you remove the 2 dogbone bolts the rear tire/swingarm will slam straight on down. this is where the xtra hands comes in handy.. easy way to put bolts in is to lift rear tire till you get to your desired bolt hole. then just reverse process.
some ppl lift bike high enuff to put a jack under rear tire to lift the tire/swingarm up if they dont have xtra pair of hands.

for the front: remove front plastic from underneath the headlights. it has 2 pushclips and a bolt. look for 2 sets of bolts... 2 one the left fork and 2 on the right fork. they are 10mm also.. on top look for the bolt that clamps the top part of the forks. only one bolt per side. they are right next the wires that go into the light and starter buttons. the bolts are horizontal. be sure to lift bike from the frame or some ppl lift from underneath the exhaust/oilpan. loosen all 6 bolts. then the best way to lift the forks is to push them up while twisting... that xtra pair of hands comes in handy here too. you need to be sure and have both sides the same... a micrometer comes in handy to be dam near exact. tighten bolts once you get desired height. putplastic back on.( if you lift the bike from the front tire or forks, once you loosen the bolts the front end comes crashing down.)... thats the base for lowering the bike. just ask if you have more questions
LOL

wee

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 15, 2012 05:01 PM        Edited By: venomous_zx on 16 Mar 2012 01:02
i just got writers cramp.... hope that helps goldwing

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted March 15, 2012 05:03 PM        
quote:
i just got writers cramp.... hope that helps goldwing
what question did you answer?

wee

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 15, 2012 05:06 PM        
no question just giving him heads up if he hasnt lowred bike yet... he asked alot of questions that i have read lately so i just put my 2 cents in and tried to help the fella out as much as i can. not trying to jack your thread here

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted March 15, 2012 06:23 PM        Edited By: shawnski on 16 Mar 2012 02:23
quote:
no question just giving him heads up if he hasnt lowred bike yet... he asked alot of questions that i have read lately so i just put my 2 cents in and tried to help the fella out as much as i can. not trying to jack your thread here

So... Do I have to adjust the chain when I need to replace it...

Ignore this member   
Goldwingmann

Expert Class
posted March 15, 2012 07:17 PM        Edited By: Goldwingmann on 16 Mar 2012 03:18
Appreciate all your help here guys....I am just 16 and been riding bikes a couple of years, but my dad is in Afganistan and I got this new bike for my birthday for having a 4.0 average in school the last year. He has lots of tools in the home shop and I know how to use them pretty much but had a few questions on this new bike and I know it has lots of upgrades from past zx14's. He is not here to help me, so am kind on my own...so am trying to do the right thing.

So, am trying to learn as much as I can to begin upgrading it....don't want to race it, just have a great street machine that is safe and reliable. It is too tall for me, I am on my toes all the time, so lowering it is something I have to do.

Hope you will continue to give me some good advice as I will probably have more questions soon......

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted March 15, 2012 07:26 PM        Edited By: shawnski on 16 Mar 2012 03:34
quote:
Appreciate all your help here guys....I am just 16 and been riding bikes a couple of years, but my dad is in Afganistan and I got this new bike for my birthday for having a 4.0 average in school the last year. He has lots of tools in the home shop and I know how to use them pretty much but had a few questions on this new bike and I know it has lots of upgrades from past zx14's. He is not here to help me, so am kind on my own...so am trying to do the right thing.

So, am trying to learn as much as I can to begin upgrading it....don't want to race it, just have a great street machine that is safe and reliable. It is too tall for me, I am on my toes all the time, so lowering it is something I have to do.

Hope you will continue to give me some good advice as I will probably have more questions soon......

are you serious ??? only 16?? .

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 15, 2012 08:08 PM        
look i`m gonna be the first to say it.get off the super bikes and get on the dirt bikes.you are going to die on these bikes.i would have died on these bikes at 16.i bought and paid for a new 74 850 norton that only had 60 horse power.i know for 100% i would have died by 18.you have been warned.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted March 15, 2012 08:41 PM        
4.0 great job. keep up the good work.
we all are going to die, but not all of us truely live.
be safe, be smart, and be you.

if you can handle it, you will.
if you can't you will not. only time will tell, not other people.

BLK ICE

Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
creeker

Novice Class
posted March 16, 2012 12:34 AM        
all these florida guy's here ,nobody to step while his dad serving our country! sounds like he just wants guidance not criticism, we all could some .
  Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted March 16, 2012 02:45 AM        
quote:
look i`m gonna be the first to say it.get off the super bikes and get on the dirt bikes.you are going to die on these bikes.i would have died on these bikes at 16.i bought and paid for a new 74 850 norton that only had 60 horse power.i know for 100% i would have died by 18.you have been warned.
you tell Goldwingmann he doesn't know how to adjust a chain, now you tell him he to get off his motorcycle because he is 16? he has been warned?

wee

Ignore this member   
Goldwingmann

Expert Class
posted March 16, 2012 03:40 AM        
I had a 750 - 4 Honda when I was 14 to follow my dad around on his Goldwing, but was riding some dirt bikes when I was 12 on our farm, sold the farm two years ago due to the economy and got a smaller place so had no need for a dirt bike, so traded it on a used 750 Honda, then just traded it in for the new 14r. I am very safety conscious and even wear that hi-vis colored T shirts and riding jacket on the street...so far so good, Have lots of experience on a farm tractor and other mechanical equipment including chain saws too.

So am well aware of the power built into this machine and will take my time to learn to ride it safely and not do stupid things.....my dad would kill me if I mistreated it. Our money situation is kind of tight while he is away, so just trying to use good judgement and be safe. Thanks for your suggestions, but have not been able to sleep at night thinking of the 14r since it came out.......now going to try to enjoy it...hard to concentrate in school knowing it is in the garage waiting for me to come home........

Ignore this member   
conn-e-rot ninja

Novice Class
posted March 16, 2012 04:31 AM        
Just keep your right hand in check and you will be fine.... you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders it's a beautiful machine enjoy it.

Tell your dad I said Thank you for his service.
Get yourself a service manual so have something to reference and all the torque specs if you can not find one PM me I'll help you out with one.

Get the threaded soupys links they are a little more $$ but easily adjusted and will not interfere with belly pan.
Don't forget you will also need an adjustable kickstand when lowering.

I used an engine hoist and canvass strap around rear subframe to hold my bike up when I removed the dog bones.

Come on guys he is asking for some help.... while his dad is helping all of us

does the 14r need a cut oil pan when lowering?

Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted March 16, 2012 05:17 AM        
I agree that the new 14R is too much power for a beginner like a 16 year old but that is between him and his parents. I was not much better at that age. At 14 my dad and I started building a Kaw 750 using GPZ internals. Rode that bike through high school. It only had around 80hp though, not near 200!!!
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Chain adjustment required during/after lowering? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2138090133667 seconds processing time