HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: no ethanol premium = real gas NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 05, 2012 09:30 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 6 Mar 2012 12:31
quote:
quote:
The engineers at the refinery I work for say ethanol free gas is 2-3% more horsepower.
I think you know why i asked , i'm so close to running a 8.40s pass i'm thinking this might give me a few extra HP.. Brock said in one of his videos he made the best power off 89 shell .. My guess it is 10% ethanol in the shell 89 .. Maybe not because it's winter blend sold in Ohio ?

quit dicking around and get a jug of MR12 for that 8.40 pass... not an 8.49 but an 8.40.. i'm sure the worlds fastest stock motor busa had it in the tank for the 8.42 pass

Ignore this member   
DocsNinja

Novice Class
Backs and Bikes is what I do..
posted March 05, 2012 11:41 PM        Edited By: DocsNinja on 6 Mar 2012 14:43
quote:
quote:
quote:
The engineers at the refinery I work for say ethanol free gas is 2-3% more horsepower.
I think you know why i asked , i'm so close to running a 8.40s pass i'm thinking this might give me a few extra HP.. Brock said in one of his videos he made the best power off 89 shell .. My guess it is 10% ethanol in the shell 89 .. Maybe not because it's winter blend sold in Ohio ?

quit dicking around and get a jug of MR12 for that 8.40 pass... not an 8.49 but an 8.40.. i'm sure the worlds fastest stock motor busa had it in the tank for the 8.42 pass
Who cares what the busa used ... i want to do i t on pump gas .. Stuff that 137.50 for 5 gallons fuel your bike ..

Ignore this member    Click here to visit DocsNinja's homepage. 
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted March 06, 2012 05:12 AM        

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 06, 2012 05:43 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who cares what the busa used ... i want to do i t on pump gas .. Stuff that 137.50 for 5 gallons fuel your bike ..

what you waiting on the gen 3 busa .. go set a record while you got a chance

Ignore this member   
doubtfull

Parking Attendant
posted March 06, 2012 10:23 AM        
There is a huge drawback that no one has mentioned about E10 gas.

What is that? Water.... Alcohol absorbs it.

If a gas station was selling gas with no alcohol in it, the water in the bottom of the storage tank just stays at the bottom. It is not a big deal till it gets to the depth of the pickups in the tank.

Lets just say there is 6 inches of water in the storage tank for reference.

Now... Suddenly they are mandated to use E10.
They fill the tank with E10, and the alcohol starts sucking up the water....

How many gallons of gas will it take to suck up all that water? Hint, its a lot....
And condensation, poor drainage at the fill caps, etc, keep adding water to the tank.
You will never get it all out......

Its bad enough that you loose btu with the alcohol, but its even worse since water will only mess your tune up even further. Water and alcohol injection can change the needed timing by up to 4 degrees per inch of bore size.

It gets worse....

As the alcohol absorbs water, at about 8.000 ppm you have lost 3 to 5 octane.
Think about that for a bit, that a 1/125 ratio of water to gas. If it goes much past that phase separation occurs. Phase separation is when the alcohol is no longer suspended in the gas, when this happens the water alcohol mix falls to the bottom of the tank.

Then all sorts of chemical reactions start.

Ignore this member   
87gtNOS

Zone Head
posted March 06, 2012 10:47 AM        
SEAFOAM.

I use it in everything. Check it out guys, all the info is on their site.

To each their own!

07 ZX14 - YEAH BABY! 03 ZX9R-traded in for the 14!!! June 07!
05 636-traded in for the 9 Sept 05

Ignore this member   
indynic

Expert Class
Lil Show, Lil Go
posted March 06, 2012 10:48 AM        
quote:
Hi indynic!
please dont take away from good feeling of helping/being helped? indynic
said "lazy link".

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 06, 2012 09:21 PM        
Im one of those guys that loads gas into barges.... Yeah they are dirty and can have moisture in them especially when temps drop and rise.....i load all sorts of chemicals. A famouse one is mtbe.. Pure octane boost. this is no longer made in usa. Its all from over seas.

Ignore this member   
Viper

Expert Class
posted March 06, 2012 09:30 PM        
I found a station that does non ethanol gas but its only 87 and 93. I don't know how 87 would run in these bikes

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: no ethanol premium = real gas NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.45503902435303 seconds processing time