HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: rear rotor removal NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Rajun Cajun

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2012 02:31 AM        
rear rotor removal

Hey guys! What would happen if I just removed the rear brake rotor?

I know I will save weight. I do not use it at all! Not even on inclines or declines in traffic at red lights.

Ignore this member   
BrucerZX14

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2012 05:33 AM        
IMHO, if you're riding on the street, keep the rear brake. Ever have the front wash out with too brake applied? Hate to not have a rear brake if you get caught in the rain. If your bike is strictly drag racing, then I can understand losing it.
  Ignore this member   
Rajun Cajun

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2012 05:38 AM        
Thanks BrucerZX14! I will keep it on.... Im goint to try drilling larger holes in it to lighten it up.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 02, 2012 10:07 AM        
Try a lighter rotor if you want to shed weight

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted March 02, 2012 10:08 PM        
Rajun,
please keep asking questions before taking action.

removing the rear brake on a street bike is right up there with other "things you NEVER want to do with a motorcycle" as stated above.

That said, you were on the money in asking before you did it.

People do drill holes in rotors to save a few grams, but (please don't take offense) with your apparent level of expertise, i'd say do NOT do it.
Take venomous_zx's advice, buy a lighter rotor.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted March 03, 2012 10:21 AM        Edited By: venomous_zx on 3 Mar 2012 18:22
its good practice to use rear brake. especially with big cc bikes. notice the nose dive when you use the front brakes? its quite a bit. press down on your rear brake to shift weight to the front then use front brakes. ....... what i recommend to every rider is to practice braking. try to stop in as short of distance as you can. that pretty much requires using both brakes at some point

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted March 03, 2012 10:27 AM        
quote:
its good practice to use rear brake. especially with big cc bikes. notice the nose dive when you use the front brakes? its quite a bit. press down on your rear brake to shift weight to the front then use front brakes. ....... what i recommend to every rider is to practice braking. try to stop in as short of distance as you can. that pretty much requires using both brakes at some point[/quote

+10

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted March 03, 2012 01:33 PM        
quote:
Hey guys! What would happen if I just removed the rear brake rotor?

I know I will save weight. I do not use it at all! Not even on inclines or declines in traffic at red lights.

What would happen? You will probably lock the front tire up at some point (sooner than later with your riding style) and wreck.
No offense, but sounds like you could use a motorcycle safety course. Simple stuff as using the brakes properly can save you in many "almost fall" situations

Ignore this member   
Rajun Cajun

Expert Class
posted March 04, 2012 01:30 AM        
Thanks guys! I will keep asking questions that other viewers may want answers to also.
I will look into pricing and purchasing a lighter rear rotor. I like most of you, am looking for "sweet deals" also. I also like it when the expirenced share thier findings for deals, reasonable prices and actual prices if allowed to post them.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: rear rotor removal NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20701909065247 seconds processing time