HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 ZX14R ECU vs. PowerCommander NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
wjs2000

Parking Attendant
posted March 01, 2012 11:28 AM        
2012 ZX14R ECU vs. PowerCommander

I am hoping that you all can clarify if a map can be mapped or flashed to an ECU? I have heard from some that you can flash the ECU with the map and there is no need for a PowerCommander. I do understand that by flashing the ECU, you can remove the factory restriction, advance the timing, and increase the RPMs. Some have recommended that the ECU should not be flashed and advised the use of a PowerCommander for housing the map, while others have stated that you simply cannot flash the ECU with the map at all. I am hoping that the riders on this forum can provide some insight as to what method works best and what exactly are the pros and cons to the ECU versus the PowerCommander...

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted March 01, 2012 02:24 PM        
right now with the ecu flash you can remove the factory restriction, advance the timing, and increase the RPMs.
traditionally the power commander was used for fuel mapping changes without modification of the ecu values.
now or in the near future folks are figuring out how to flash the ecu with fuel map info.
this would be one stop shopping with less electronics.
don guhl would be the one to ask about the feasability of this.

i always liked the old power commanders because you didn't have to change the factory ecu settings and if you had problems or took it out the bike was back to stock. and you could make your own changes on a laptop. unless you invest some time and money in doing your own flashing (doubtful) you would be at the mercy of an ecu flashing service to make your changes. and hopefully your ecu doesnt get trashed during all this flashing activity. i suspect it would be costly to replace an ecu.
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
BobK

Expert Class
2012 ZX14R SE
posted March 01, 2012 02:31 PM        
This is exactly what we are waiting for Flash-Tune in LA to finish up. Then you will be able to download a power commander map directly into the ecu if needed everything could be put back to stock and no additional charges for re-mapping.
  Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 03:29 PM        
Less expensive, more inclusive, and cheaper; I like it. Looking forward to the development and availability of such a service.
  Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 01, 2012 06:42 PM        
I second guessed my decision to do a custom dyno tune and load it into the ECU because I want the flexibility of being able to change maps. Granted I have none yet but don't want to deal with a custom tune file for every mod I make in the future.

Ignore this member   
Lsantana954

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 08:17 PM        
When i spoke to Don at Guhl he said he is still waiting to get a hold of a zx14R to do some custom fuel mapping for the ECU. The only problem is if youre the type that likes to switch up maps you would need a PCV or else send the ecu back to have the new map installed.
'87 Buick Grand National

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2012 03:33 AM        
True story. I plan on setting mine up for street riding and then leaving it alone. Ride and enjoy after that. I actually hate all this tinkering (Sacrilege here, I know.). I just wanna' ride (Forgiving the Honda adage...).
  Ignore this member   
wjs2000

Parking Attendant
posted March 02, 2012 07:32 AM        
Fellas, I appreciate the info!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 ZX14R ECU vs. PowerCommander NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20667099952698 seconds processing time