HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 ZX-14R ECU Flash for Flies Out without a PCV NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Greggy

Expert Class
posted February 28, 2012 10:03 PM        
2012 ZX-14R ECU Flash for Flies Out without a PCV

This (below) from Flash-Tune when I asked them in an earlier email about the possibility of an 2012 ZX-14R Ninja ECU reflash to handle opening the butterflies (much) earlier than stock and fixing the resultant lean condition that opening (pulling) the flies creates. Basically with a properly flashed ECU there is no need to physcally pull the flies and it also negates the requirement of a Power Commander after doing so. Could be good for some of us???

quote:
We are still working on our Mitsubishi ECU equipped Kawi coding but our interface will get you complete control of the butterflies as well as ignition and fuel mapping

Customer Service
Flash-Tune Inc.
www.flash-tune.com
sales@flash-tune.com
1338 South La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Phone: (888) 543-6302
Local: (562) 314-6284

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted February 28, 2012 10:11 PM        
berry interesting
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
BobK

Expert Class
2012 ZX14R SE
posted February 29, 2012 07:25 AM        
We definitely need to let these people know how many owners are out there that will buy their service once they get it done so they understand there is a big market for their product.
  Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 08:12 AM        
Agreed.

Having a professionally developed ECU program to suit a range of different bike configurations is a fantastic idea and would have a big market. If Flash-Tune can provide pre-configured programs that suit the real world (i.e. 99% of bike owners) I can't see them failing. They don't need to worry too much about custom race programming as those guys will always want/need to fine tune everything themselves to suit their race conditions, and it's likely they'll stick with mods like physically taking the flies out and using Power Commander devices etc.

Now for starters I suggest Flash-Tune provides a 2012 ZX-14R ECU with a completely re-programmed 'F' power mode to simulate having the secondary butterflies out yet still providing correct fuelling (no lean spots). That would wake the sleeping giant for sure! In other words if you want FULL power you run it in F power mode and enjoy the 1441cc motor as it was meant to be, but if you are feeling lazy or tired you can switch to L power mode and take it nice and easy. It would be a reason to actually use L power mode, because right now F power mode is very forgiving in its stock form.

I've ridden a 2010 ZX-14 with the flies out and its TOTALLY AWESOME, and makes my stock 2012 ZX-14R feel rather lazy and unwilling under 4,000rpms compared to the older model without the flies.

Message for KHI engineers: When in F power mode please don't hold anything back!!!

Greggy

Ignore this member   
Goldwingmann

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 08:49 AM        
What is the costing of this ECU Re-Programming?

NInja

Ignore this member   
BobK

Expert Class
2012 ZX14R SE
posted February 29, 2012 09:35 AM        
quote:
What is the costing of this ECU Re-Programming?

NInja

Once they get their programing in place it will be $150. to flash the ecu and free updates if you make mods to the bike. They will be able to flash a power commander map directly into the ecu so a tuner could actually hook up a power commander to your bike, create a pc map and then flash the ecu and remove the power commander. The very best of all worlds.

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 10:35 AM        
Sounds like the cat's meow. I guess you have to remove the ECU and send it in? I guess you can do that?
  Ignore this member   
BobK

Expert Class
2012 ZX14R SE
posted February 29, 2012 10:59 AM        
Yes, it is under the seat with simple plugs. Must remove tool box and then pull ecu out and then disconnect the plugs.
  Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 01:48 PM        
Greggy a mate of mine in WA does suzuki flash tuning (ECU editor) and will be getting the
kawasaki stuff from flash tune when its available , very familiar with the technology as they do both car and bike , pretty sure they have done the mitsubishi ecu's in evo's etc before
i'll send you the info when there doing the Kawi

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 05:20 PM        
quote:
Yes, it is under the seat with simple plugs. Must remove tool box and then pull ecu out and then disconnect the plugs.

I've messed w/the PC's and all but no ECU work. And mechanicing is far from my strong suit.

Much obliged for the help. I hope this option comes through. That'd be convenient, clean, and cheaper.

Ignore this member   
robrooter

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 05:22 PM        
Oz Booster is there any going to be on this side of aus thanks mate.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted February 29, 2012 10:18 PM        
Im verrrry interested in this. By all means keep us all updated

Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 10:55 PM        
Rob i'm sure a few places will get them to compliment the already available Suzuki, and now Yamaha tuning,
Although i'm not a commercial business I will get one , and i could be fairly sure about at least one in Sydney and another near Gympie, and one in Adelaide

Ignore this member   
robrooter

Expert Class
posted February 29, 2012 11:38 PM        
sounds good just have to wait an see thanks Greg.

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 12:25 AM        
I guess we just need to work out of the Australian model ECU (for our ABS equipped ZX-14R) is any different to the USA model ECU without ABS, but I'd say the ABS function is probably disjoint from the engine management. Someone might be able to confirm this?

Greggy

Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 02:26 AM        
If its like the US and AU/EU busa differences you cannot mix and match , the AU/EU has an immobiliser the US does not , so flashing an AU ecu with a US flash will not run unless there is an option to disable the security
Probably need to get an Aussie ecu to them do they can download it and have our version available in the database

Ignore this member   
Vertigo99

Novice Class
posted March 01, 2012 04:53 AM        
Would the ECU reflash be available for pre-2012 14's? I'm gettling close to pulling the trigger on a Brocks pipe and I'd like to do it without the need for a PCV.

Ignore this member   
BobK

Expert Class
2012 ZX14R SE
posted March 01, 2012 07:07 AM        
quote:
Would the ECU reflash be available for pre-2012 14's? I'm gettling close to pulling the trigger on a Brocks pipe and I'd like to do it without the need for a PCV.

More than likely once they have the ecu figured out and get any 14 in for tuning they will be able to flash all 14s.

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 07:25 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 1 Mar 2012 14:29
"I've ridden a 2010 ZX-14 with the flies out and its TOTALLY AWESOME, and makes my stock 2012 ZX-14R feel rather lazy and unwilling under 4,000rpms "....hmmmm.interesting.Even without the Guhl flash...my 2012 feels WAY stronger at 4K than any previous version with no flies.

I can only imagine just now what lower gearing will produce

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 09:08 AM        
Removing the flies makes a HUGE difference to the ZX-14, I can only assume it will make a similar difference to the 2012 ZX-14R. A few guys here have done this mod, but no one has really given a definitve review on what its been like, or if its really worth it.

Personally I liked the way the (older) ZX-14 performed without the flies as the throttle response at low RPMs is quite scary but addictive at the same time.

I think the difference on these new 14R's is mainly going to be felt at under 4000rpms, as once you get near and above that engine speed, the new 14R is definitely way stronger.

Greggy

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 09:17 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 1 Mar 2012 16:20
I had my ECU flashed to open those secondaries just off throttle.BEFORE 4K.I can tell ya...the KTRC set on '1' doesn't always kick in like it does with the stock secondary opening point.So it's virtually 'flyless'.I can't honestly say..."she'll rip yer arms out'...no...because they also recalibrated the ignition settings.In fact....in all honesty....she has a slight 'bog' right off throttle.IF I open er wide open...or close to it.Soon as she hits about 2K...she takes right off though....and will loft immediately...before 4K.

I don't remember now if that 'bog'(and it's very very slight)was there before the flash.If I added throttle(a bit) at the bottom,and popped the clutch...I know she'd blast off VERY WELL.I try not to do that!Not all the time anyway

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted March 01, 2012 09:35 AM        
Last I spoke w/Brock's folks they were saying it was looking like the 'flies removal wouldn't help out the '12 but they had not yet finished their testing at that time. I haven't seen or heard of any updates to that.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 ZX-14R ECU Flash for Flies Out without a PCV NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
1.04115796089 seconds processing time