HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 16 tooth sprocket on 2012 zx14r has any one had trouble. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
robrooter

Expert Class
posted January 27, 2012 01:21 AM        
16 tooth sprocket on 2012 zx14r has any one had trouble.

Hey guys... I went out on a ride tonight (yes in the hot Perth weather) and noticed a problem that I think is being cause by the 16 tooth front sprocket.

It seemed to get a on/off throttle condition at very light throttle in 1st and 2nd gears, like the engine is confused and cuts the ignition on and off until the rpms (and speed) come up then it seems to settle down. But then once at around 100Km/h sometimes when I roll the throttle on, the bike would surge forward then cut out suddenly then surge forward again like it was confused or something. Not every time but often enough for me to know something is seriously wrong.

So I'm going to go back and get the standard 17 tooth front sprocket put back on this Friday morning and see if that fixes it, because I did a 200Km ride last weekend and it NEVER played up once. Its playing up a fair bit now and the only thing to have changed is the front sprocket. So perhaps after all a change of front sprocket is a no-go for these new ZX-14Rs ???

I'll let you know on Friday night how it all goes, as I know exactly how to replicate the 'fault' and will be able to tell if the matter is resolved.

Greggy

Obba

Expert Class
posted January 26, 2012 07:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'm going to go back and get the standard 17 tooth front sprocket put back on this Friday morning and see if that fixes it, because I did a 200Km ride last weekend and it NEVER played up once. Its playing up a fair bit now and the only thing to have changed is the front sprocket.

So perhaps after all a change of front sprocket is a no-go for these new ZX-14Rs ???
Greggy

I think some guys have fitted 16's and not reported any issues (can't remember who they are).

Why not leave the 17 on the front and go up on the rear sprocket instead?

Smaller fronts wear the chain out faster.

cruiserman_83

Expert Class
posted January 26, 2012 08:28 AM
@ greggy. Take it for a ride with TC off. Maybe ecu knows that at x rpm's in x gear should be doing x speed. Maybe it is thinking ure clutch is slipping bad, cutting power then bringing it back on. Just a thought.

robrooter

Expert Class
posted January 26, 2012 05:00 PM
Yes try that first greggy

robrooter

Expert Class
posted January 26, 2012 05:58 PM
Yes try that first greggy

Greggy

Novice Class
posted January 26, 2012 08:01 PM
Thats the plan guys - get it back to a point when all was well and go from there. Perhaps a 16T front is just too much of a change for the TC/engine management to deal with. We shall know soon enough!

Greggy

Greggy

Novice Class
posted January 27, 2012 01:05 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

We put the stock 17 tooth front sprocket back on my 14R this morning and all the hesitation, stumbling (and noise) has gone. She's back to being as smooth as silk

It's looking like grearing changes for these new 14R's may not be a good ide, for street riding at least.

Cheers!

Greggy

Ignore this member   
kaw-rick

Pro
posted January 27, 2012 04:49 AM        
damn i hope this isnt true.
  Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 27, 2012 04:57 AM        
Smoking is running 16/43 on his with no reported issues. I was thinking about going with a 16T, but 200+HP I would guess at SWB would be a wheelie machine. Maybe with a 16T, you need to keep TC off. Did you test the scenario with TC off?

Ignore this member   
CajunBoyz

Zone Head
posted January 27, 2012 05:19 AM        
quote:
Smoking is running 16/43 on his with no reported issues. I was thinking about going with a 16T, but 200+HP I would guess at SWB would be a wheelie machine. Maybe with a 16T, you need to keep TC off. Did you test the scenario with TC off?

I haven't gotten a 14R yet(will be coming up, looking) but how do you turn off the TC???? Wish they would find a way so when you turn it off , it remains OFF unless you change it...

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 27, 2012 05:32 AM        
simple on left clipon push select, select, arrow up, select... done in 3 secs

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 27, 2012 05:56 AM        
I have 17-51

wee

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted January 27, 2012 07:54 AM        
the only thing I know that could be causing a problem is, if the wire going to the rear wheel for the traction control has a pickup in it that counts wheel speed, and the ECU is compares that with engine rpm. This could be confusing The ECU. if this gets to be a problem. Maybe when they re-flashed the ECU they could take the traction control off. this may not be a drag racing problem, but would only show up in street riding.

Ken

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted January 27, 2012 08:00 AM        
Just a note, Ricky G. went faster by losing two teeth on the rear in vegas.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted January 27, 2012 08:08 AM        
quote:

That was at swb. And he did that just to keep the front tire on the ground.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 27, 2012 08:28 AM        
quote:
quote:

That was at swb. And he did that just to keep the front tire on the ground.
and add wheelbase.

wee

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 03:11 AM        
Just a quick update on this strange gearing issue for you guys…
I had the stock 17 T front sprocket changed to a generic steel 16T unit, and experienced strange fuelling issues at slight throttle openings, where the bike would surge as if the fuelling was on-off-on-off-on-off etc.

So I replaced the 16T sprocket with the stock 17T sprocket and the issue was completely resolved. (see posts above)

I’ve recently had a new OEM Kawasaki 16T front sprocket installed with the rubber cushion (for quiet operation) – part # 13144-1317 - and the slight throttle on-off-on-off surging problem came straight back again

Now It’s not a major problem, as you just have to open the throttle a bit more and it clears up, but it’s a big enough ‘problem’ to make the bike a bit of a handful in slow corners in 1st or 2nd gear.

Do any of you ZX-14R ‘gurus’ have suggestions as to what is causing the problem and how it may be resolved? Of course I could go back to the 17T sprocket but I don’t really want to as I’m happy to trade some un-used top-end speed for more drive off the line.

My local Kawasaki dealer, although very helpful, are at a loss to explain it.

Greggy

Ignore this member   
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted March 10, 2012 04:58 AM        
Did it do this in all power modes and traction control turned off?
9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 05:37 AM        
Yes it did this whether in F or L power modes and also with TC off, 1, 2 and 3 modes. Nothing made any difference, but changing the sprocket sure did.

It's not a big deal, as I can adjust my riding style to compensate, its just that such a noticabe behaviour compared to stock has me thinking the 14R's ECU is closely connected with the (stock) gearing. Maybe programmable maps will one day come out to address this?

Greggy

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted March 10, 2012 05:42 AM        
Im running a 51 tooth sprocket on the rear without any issues.

wee

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 10, 2012 06:25 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 10 Mar 2012 14:31
This is very curious. If Wee can run +9 on the rear without issue, I can't imagine a countershaft sprocket causing any trouble. Smokin is also up on the rear sprocket, with a 16T up front, without issue.

Strange...

Shane

Ignore this member   
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted March 10, 2012 06:27 AM        
It is only the low rpm range he is having issues with.
9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 10, 2012 06:32 AM        
quote:
It is only the low rpm range he is having issues with.

I think Wee has ridden his on the street, and perhaps Lee as well?

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 06:41 AM        
That's right, it only occurs at very slight throttle openings in 1st and sometimes 2nd, when the engine load is very light. Once it gets past the transient point its all good.

The extra torque you get with a bit shorter gearing is definitely noticalbe. I really like this quiet OEM 16T sprocket too, so I don't want to give it up too easly.

I think I'll be able to live with it - I just need to open the throttle more

Thanks guys - I appreciate you taking the time to comment on this somewhat trivial matter.

Greggy

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 10, 2012 06:45 AM        
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but you don't have too much chain slack do you? You adjusted the tension properly after swapping sprockets, right?

Shane

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 06:58 AM        
I think the chain slack is ok - the dealer changed the sprockets over so I assume they checked the chain (big assumption I know).

I've just checked it and it seems within spec. Perhaps a little more on the loose side than on the tight side but nothing that I would consider too slack. So maybe I should adjust it a little tighter and see what happens? Worth a shot I guess!

Greggy

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 10, 2012 08:26 AM        
Make sure you check it with the bike in neutral, it will often seem tighter when you park it in gear.

Shane

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 10, 2012 02:33 PM        
I have no clue what is wrong with your bike .... Mine rides and drives the same with a 16 tooth as it did with a 17 tooth ..

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 04:58 PM        
That makes two of us smokin!

Oh well... I'll (try to) ignore it.

Greggy

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 05:37 PM        
Not to jack your thread, but has anyone tried running taller gearing? I'd love to run lower revs on the highway at speed. It'd make the bike a little smoother and more efficient for me and still have plenty of public road power. Anyone? 18T countershaft sprocket. Would it fit?
  Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 06:31 PM        
In my opinion It's already geared fairly tall in stock configuration, but you could easily put on a rear sprocket with a few less teeth and see how you go.

Greggy

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 16 tooth sprocket on 2012 zx14r has any one had trouble. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.738479137421 seconds processing time