HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: HM Quickshifter Review NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 07, 2012 03:40 PM        
HM Quickshifter Review

A few people have asked me about the HM Quickshifter I have been using and figured I would write a brief product review. I have been messing around with the HM Quickshifter Plus (comes with loom to fit Yamaha & Kawasaki coils) for about 2-3 weeks now. I have ridden about 250 miles using this product and have to say it's the best Quickshifter for the street I have ever used. Many people told me to go for the Dynojet Quickshifter but after 3 of them failed on me, a few said get an air shifter. I started to research several products... Quickshifters (Dynojet, Bazzaz, Translogic), Air Shifters (MPS, Cycle Tek, Muzzy's), Electric Shifters (Pingel, Holeshot). I have never heard of HM Quickshifter until a mechanic at the shop I go to told me about the HM (He was a Pro racer and excellent mechanic so his suggestion was taken seriously). After looking into the Quickshifters HM had the best reviews, Google "HM Quickshifter Reviews you get THOUSANDS of hits.... This is the same setup that many professional racers, teams & Isle of Mann riders use. Keep in mind I am a street rider, not a drag racer like Wheelie, Smokin, etc... if I was drag racing my choice would have been an air shifter all the way.
Installation: Very straight forward for the 2012 ZX14R.
1)Take plastics off left side
2) Hook up loom to the top of the coils (unit gets power from loom)
3) Wire up control unit (Just 1 plug from the coil loom + 1 Ground wire)
4 Velcro Control unit to upper inner fairing
5 replace plastics
Setup: Takes about 30 seconds.
1) Turn on bike while holding down button on back of the control unit, when it counts down from 5,4,3,2,1,0 Release button on 0
2) Setup Strain gauge to read Compression, Extension or Both (Compression for ZX14)
3) Set unit sensitivity (70 is my magic number for the ZX14 with Vortex Rearsets)
4) Set kill time 40-150ms (63 is the magic number for the ZX14)
Done!!
Positives: A few things that I like about this unit are-> No moving parts (all digital), Does not rely on movement of the gear lever- pressure (strain gauge technology), ultra smooth, no mechanical setup, no wire splicing needed, fully customizable setup, control unit is very small, and a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Negatives: Bike will not run if control unit is not hooked up. You get what you pay for, a quality item with a lifetime warranty is not cheap...

Control module tucked away in left inner fairing by ram air duct

Shifter mounted on Vortex rear sets using Dynojet M6 to M6 rod

Video shows HM Shifter in use WOT at about 15 - 30 seconds into video (the rest most of you would probably find boring)
http://youtu.be/WPaX14MeBe8

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 04:21 PM        
That looks awesome for the street, and I bet you could also get it to work fine as a kill with a C02 solenoid and shifter ram for the dragstrip. How much $$?

Shane

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 07, 2012 04:26 PM        
$500, Motomummy has best price so far...

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 04:38 PM        
quote:

That is really not bad....the quickshifter type setup seems like it would be very addictive on the street. No button, just kick it up....I am going to consider it! Thanks for the post!

Shane

Ignore this member   
chriszx14R

Novice Class
posted January 07, 2012 04:41 PM        
Awesome. it even looks like its high quality. I adjusted my shifter down one spline and it was a bunch. But better than it was. There was a small index mark on the shaft if it was suposed to line up with the split on the shifter lever than it was in stalled wrong from factory. I moved it down one spline and lines up perfectly. Might have to get the rear sets so shifter can be micro adjusted.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 07, 2012 04:45 PM        
quote:
That is really not bad....the quickshifter type setup seems like it would be very addictive on the street. No button, just kick it up....I am going to consider it! Thanks for the post!

Shane

Yes ADDICITVE!!

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 07, 2012 05:47 PM        
Thanks for all of the info Seno. I'm getting one too.

If the control unit can be mounted to the ram air tube up in the nose, I imagine there is more than enough wire to reach the under seat compartment. That is where I have all my modules mounted.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 07, 2012 06:52 PM        
Under the seat will be tight, thats why I chose the Ram Air tube...

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 07, 2012 08:59 PM        
^^^Oh, well I will have to see about that. The control unit looks only about the size of a pack of gum.

Is the black box you have zip tied to the ram air tube a part of the HR control unit or is that something Stock??

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 07, 2012 09:06 PM        Edited By: Seno on 8 Jan 2012 05:06
HID low & hi beam digital balasts

Ignore this member   
Lsantana954

Expert Class
posted January 08, 2012 04:51 AM        
hey seno, not to get off topic but which HIDs are you running?
'87 Buick Grand National

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 08, 2012 05:48 AM        
Xentec digital kit, they light up almost immediatly and I still have flash to pass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-08-ZX-10R-ZX10R-35W-H9-H11-DIGITAL-PLUG-PLAY-HID-KIT-/320623507681?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aa6a678e1

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 08, 2012 06:32 AM        
quote:

Does it come with the proper length rods for the oem setup?

Shane

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 08, 2012 07:13 AM        Edited By: Seno on 8 Jan 2012 15:17
I like the dynojet m6 to m6 rod, think its like 135mm length, had to take a little off each end but looks great. I ordered the 100mm rod with ithe HM unit but they send me 2-50mm sections. It would have worked but I was only sent 3 sections of threaded rod, needed 4 but didn't have one laying around.
vortex heim joint - rod - HM Strain gauge - rod - 50mm section - rod - 50 mm section - NO ROD - vortex heim joint

I didn't want to play games and use something that might work, coincidently the 250 ninja shift rod is the correct length. Long island Kawasaki loaned me the shift rod from their ninja 250 on the showroom floor.... Very cool people over there!

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 10, 2012 09:21 PM        Edited By: Rook on 11 Jan 2012 05:32
Seno, I'm talking to the Mummy and he is telling me he does not know what rod to send me for a ZX-14.

"Message:
HM quickshifter:

Which Dynojet shiftrod would I order from Motomummy in order to attach the HR quickshifter to my 08 Kawasaki ZX-14 with Vortex rearsets?

We can't answer that. You should install the HM shifter and then measure the rod you need and then place the order. You need to measure the distance you need though. You also need to know if you need male or female ends along with if it's 6mm or 8mm sized. If you have any other questions please let us know.

I think we've established it should be male on both sides of the shifter, if I am understanding this.

Maybe you can fill in some of the gaps here Sen. I have my Vortex reasets all the way up and all the way back. If this is similar to your setup, maybe you can just give me the green light on ordering the m6 to m6

.....must admit, I don't know exactly for sure what we are talking about with the rods--I mean I think I do but I figured the supplier woul dbe able to make it clear for me.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 11, 2012 03:01 AM        
Dynojet Universal Tie-rod MALE M6 to MALE M6 (think its 135mm long, your going to have to thread the nuts onto the rod & grind off about 1/4-3/8 on each end then its perfect)

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 11, 2012 12:54 PM        
Just a FYI-> Annitori Distributing is the HM distributor in the US (Annitori.com) and they do stock the 115mm rod which should work with no modification. If you order the 100mm rod make sure you get 4 pieces of threaded rod with it to avoid the issue that I had.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 11, 2012 07:23 PM        Edited By: Rook on 12 Jan 2012 03:24
Thanks Seno. That's a good start. I think this will make more sense to me after i have some parts in front of me. To tell you the truth, i think YOU know more about this than the people selling the parts. Pretty soon we will both know and then we can probably figure out some kind of no brainer way to order this stuff. If I can order the 115mm rod and it screws right in perfectly without trouble, I will get the part number and post that.

Seems like the exact rod may vary according to the position of the rearsets. Vortex does include a long rod and a short rod with the rearsets. I have a hunch the DJ rods may NOT be one size fits all either.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 12, 2012 03:01 AM        
You are correct Rook, and I should have stated that earlier. The position of the Rearsets AND the peg placement will determine the length of rod. I have mine set to standard shift (not GP), and my peg placement is stock (even at stock you get much better ground clearance due to length of pegs). So for me the Dynojet rod (M6 to M6-135mm) or HM (115mm rod) would work and fit nicely. You can also play around with the linkage position that goes on the shift shaft to tweak it a little (mine set at a 90 degree angle). Depending on your setup, the sensitivity will need to be tweaked.

Ignore this member   
Lsantana954

Expert Class
posted January 12, 2012 06:59 AM        
Are you familiar with the ones labeled as Annitori own quick shifter and its made by HM just for them? Looks similar but at a much lower price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Annitori-RL-Quickshifter-Kawasaki-ZX-14-NEW-/190608187376?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c61221ff0
'87 Buick Grand National

Ignore this member   
Lsantana954

Expert Class
posted January 12, 2012 07:04 AM        
Are you familiar with the ones labeled as Annitori own quick shifter and its made by HM just for them? Looks similar but at a much lower price
Quick Shifter
'87 Buick Grand National

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 12, 2012 11:02 AM        
I have mine set to standard shift (not GP),
IDK about the 14r but the Gen 1 cannot be set up with GP shift (knuckle down on the shift shaft). The linkage simply does not fit.

looks like it was the kickstand that would be in the way. Maybe if you removed the sidestand...and I think there is a a large bracket that the stand hinges on. That might all come off for a track bike and you could do a GP shift setup.

my peg placement is stock (even at stock you get much better ground clearance due to length of pegs).
Yes, I did exhaustive testing on that. The peg protrudes from the frame 1/2" less with Vortex. I have pics posted here if your interested. On the 14, Vortex rearsets pick up most clearance by the length of the peg, not the height. You could prolly cut them at an angle on the bottom to get a bit more but for me, I doubt I would ever need that. Prolly wedge up on the exhaust before I ever got leaned that far on the 14

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 12, 2012 11:06 AM        
quote:
Quick Shifter

HOLY CRAP!

I'm on the phone now!

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 12, 2012 11:25 AM        Edited By: Rook on 12 Jan 2012 19:29
Lsatana954, Just talked to the Annitori dude and he says the RL shifter is exactly the same product as the HR except it does not have the LCD unit. With the RL, You have your choice of three preset shift sensitivities. The RL has 3 LEDs which indicate the selected sensitivety. The LEDs are located on the shifter sensor itself.

Very nice for street applications and prolly for almost all track riders but if you are reall yinto the tech or you are real competitive at the track, The HR might be best for you.

Personally, I am pretty much entranced by that LCD. I have to have it.

Thanks for the heads up though. That could save a lotof folks $$$$

I wonder if this thread comes up in Google search yet? It really should. Good info here.

Oh--and the Annitori dude says that if you measure the length of the rod you have now (prefferably in milimeters but they can convert for you if measured in imperial), they will figure the right length rod to send you so that your set up will be the same as it is now without the shifter inline.

Ignore this member   
johns

Expert Class
posted January 13, 2012 07:39 AM        
Looks like a great product. The rear sets make mounting more convenient since you have a horizontally located shift rod which locates the sensor out of the way. Most street guys will retain the stock peg location which will mean locating the sensor vertically which isn't nearly as neat a install.
Anybody have any pictures of a stock peg ZX-14 install?
2003 124 C.I. H.D. Super glide

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: HM Quickshifter Review NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27138495445251 seconds processing time