HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 50 hours later ......... .:( Need some ideas ) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 01:07 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 7 Jan 2012 21:07
50 hours later ......... .:( Need some ideas )

I sure most of read about my air shifter problems .. That system is now gone and replaced with a MPS auto shifter that works great so far .. I even added a push buttom switch so if needs i could over ride the 10800 shift chip in the auto shift unit ..

But since the first air shifter caused all my warning gauges to go crazy i now have a problem with the engine is missing, stumbling and jurking at 2500 to 3500 RPMs in first and second gears .. The bike seems to run fine in all the other gears, 3,4,5,6 seem to be fine ... I have been working over 50 hours to find the problem with no luck at all ... I have even removed every after market part and put the bike back to stock and it still does the same thing .. I even put 40 dollars worth of new plugs in the bike just to make sure they were ok .I changed the fuel and run some sea foam in the system . I have left no stone unturned .. My guess is the first air shifter shorted something out in the ECU and killed the first and second gear maps in the ECU .. I'm showing no trouble lights and no codes have popped up .. Bike starts and idles just fine ...

I'm down to replacing the ECU ... I have one last thing i'm going to try , Ivans TRE 008 .. This will put the bike in the 6th gear map all the time .. If it runs fine in the 6th gear map the problem has to be in the ECU .. I have a TRE 008 left over from Jesses bike when he was trying to run SS AMA class ... The wring on the new zx14R has the same gear sensor wiring codes as the Gen 1 , it also uses the same plug ins as the old bike .. I might as well try it , hell it can't do anymore damage than has allready been done ...

If anyone here has any other ideas please chime in .. I'm all ears ..

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted January 07, 2012 01:18 PM        
Maybe shift forks, but I hope not.
Ask your dealer to let you test one of their ECUs.
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 07, 2012 02:10 PM        
did you try unplugging the mps box and running it?

wee

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 07, 2012 02:20 PM        
quote:

wee
I guess removing every aftermarket part means you unplugged the mps unit? Smokin I'm not sure where to start ... the tre idea seems like a good one though..

wee

Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted January 07, 2012 02:26 PM        
Unfortunately you only get one try with electronics sounds like you may have let the smoke out of the box. If all the warning lights flash which get info direct from ecu doesn't look good. Product makers are goong to have to be more careful before calling something good for this new bke.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 02:29 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 7 Jan 2012 22:33
Lee, is it possible that it is somehow related to the traction control? I know it wil pop and sputter when that engages. Anything changed that could affect the wheelspeed sensors? Also, are you sure it is not driveline related, is everything ok in the clutch, did you make any significant alteration? I don't know how that new slipper setup works, so I am just asking...

Also, was it exhibiting this bucking and lurching the last time you rode it with the first shifter you installed??

Shane

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 07, 2012 02:48 PM        
I'm sure you checked all the connectors where the Schintz plug and play harness was?

wee

Ignore this member   
kawa74

Expert Class
posted January 07, 2012 03:10 PM        
Have you double checked engine ground cables ?
Disconnect battery and turn on all lights , some ECU have capaciters that story voltage, mermory that must be cleared, 5 minutes usualy clears all .

Ignore this member   
dbeadling

Zone Head
posted January 07, 2012 03:11 PM        
use the warranty...best of luck
  Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted January 07, 2012 03:21 PM        
i dont work on bikes much but ase cert on cars and on a car id start on trac controle and just keep testing out many diff ways to make it mess up . pull a fuse from trac control and go from there
  Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted January 07, 2012 03:33 PM        

quote:
Disconnect battery.....

Ya beat me to it ........................

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 07, 2012 03:49 PM        
Had a similiar issue...

On the right side of the bike there is a connector beneath the bracket that supports the mid fairing... When mine was unplugged I had the same issue.... Hope that helps you out bro!

Ignore this member   
Big_T112

Pro
posted January 07, 2012 05:54 PM        
ECU damaged or you might have rounded the dogs off on the first couple of gears and it's skipping in the first two gears. The TRE will tell the tell.
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 05:56 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 8 Jan 2012 02:17
quote:

wee
Yes put it all back to stock ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 05:56 PM        
quote:
I'm sure you checked all the connectors where the Schintz plug and play harness was?

wee
Put it all back to stock

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 05:58 PM        
quote:
Have you double checked engine ground cables ?
Disconnect battery and turn on all lights , some ECU have capaciters that story voltage, mermory that must be cleared, 5 minutes usualy clears all .
Yes yes and yes ..

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 07, 2012 05:59 PM        
did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes as suggested? I don't think it's like a car where it will reset but I might be wrong.

wee

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 05:59 PM        
quote:
ECU damaged or you might have rounded the dogs off on the first couple of gears and it's skipping in the first two gears. The TRE will tell the tell.
It not the trans ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 06:00 PM        
quote:
did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes as suggested? I don't think it's like a car where it will reset but I might be wrong.

wee
Yes

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted January 07, 2012 06:00 PM        
you know anyone close that has a 14r? try their ecu.

wee

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 06:01 PM        
quote:
you know anyone close that has a 14r? try their ecu.

wee
No.... read my new post coming in a few seconds

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 06:13 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 8 Jan 2012 04:13
Fixed it ... The TRE 008 6th gear mapping has the bike running great .. Smooth as glass in every gear ..

Air shifter works great ...

What i think happened is this ( my best guess because really not 100% sure ) , with the cycle tek air shorting out ( making my warning lights flash ) feed back to the ECU and took out the first and second gear mapping .. I installed the TRE 008 that uses the 6th gear map and it runs great .. Take off the TRE and the bike starts missing again in first and second gear .. I when i tested the Cycle Tek air shifter on the street i never got passed second gear , if i had it may have killed 3,4.5,and 6th gear maps had i tried to up shift past 2 gear .. Good thing i didn't try that .. Like i said best guess , i'm not a pro at this kind of stuff ..

Bad news is i have a may have a bad ECU map in first and second gear and will at some point have to be replaced .. Good new it runs great in the 6th gear map and i will be able to get to the track for some testing next week ..

I'll wait and get a used ECU off ebay for testing as crashed part bikes start showing up ..

Ignore this member   
robrooter

Expert Class
posted January 07, 2012 06:26 PM        
Glad you fixed the problem smokinzx14

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 07, 2012 07:02 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 8 Jan 2012 04:17
Guys i think we all need to rethink this new ZX14R .. So many changes to the bike but we still are trying to use Gen 1 parts that may or may not work on this gen 2 bike .. Clearly Cycle Teks air shifter works great on the gen 1s , more than a few members use them on there gen 1s with no problems .. I like others think gen 1 parts should work , hell it's a zx14 too , so why wouldn't it work.. Well i found out the hard way that things doesn't always work...

Now i'm using an MPS auto shift and it is not wired into anything but the coil wires at the ECU ( Thanks Wheelie ) I wanted to use the horn button to shift the bike, BUT didn't want to tie into anything that may cause a problem like i had with the cycle Tek shifter.. So i added a button that does NOT use any of the factory systems .. .. We just don't know a hole hell of a lot about this new bike right now .. So becarefull what you do till this stuff is sorted out by the pros like Brock , Muzzy , Adams and others .. This screw up looks to have cost me a ECU and they are NOT cheap to replace !! I'm lucky the TRE got me up and running at no cost because i had one laying around in my shop .. Lucky for me it worked .. It's a patch , NOT a fix .. The fix will be a new or good used ECU ? ..

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted January 07, 2012 07:09 PM        
when the pc5 comes out set it up so u can do every gear map ur self . glad u got it fixed for now tho. your lucky it didnt short out the whole ecu
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 50 hours later ......... .:( Need some ideas ) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25896811485291 seconds processing time