HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: helmet or not? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
rocket2117

Expert Class
rocket2117
posted December 22, 2011 05:10 AM        
helmet or not?

looks like south carolina is looking into a new helmet law so helmet or not? http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/12/21/2561963/helmet-law-getting-a-new-look.html

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted December 22, 2011 05:16 AM        
I still can't believe people ride without helmets for any reason.

Take it from a guy who ended up in a coma with a helmet on and I still had to be resuscitated in the emergency room. I don't think I would be typing this if I didn't have one on. And for you people that think, "Oh it is just a short trip.", I had just left my house, about 300 yards away, on my way to my buddy's house less than 3 miles away when that lady pulled out in front of me.

If you ride without a helmet I say good riddance, it's natural selection as far as I am concerned.

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted December 22, 2011 05:18 AM        
Ok, so it's a freedom of choice thing but personally I would wear a helmet.

I've slid down the road once or twice in a lifetime of biking and the amazing thing is you don't feel your head hit the ground and when you get up you'd swear that it didn't. Then you take off your helmet and see the road-rash on it. Enough said.

A very good friend of mine always says "if you've got a cheap head then get a cheap helmet" go and extrapolate that!

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted December 22, 2011 05:19 AM        
ATGATT.........

All The Gear All The Time.

Dan

Ignore this member   
psycho1122

Pro
posted December 22, 2011 05:22 AM        
+1

Ignore this member   
Stu64

Zone Head
posted December 22, 2011 05:55 AM        
The laws are stupid to begin with, you can ride a bike without a helmet,but we cant have any cars without meeting strict safety standards.
So a dead biker is OK,but a person in a car is not?

There are a shit load of cool little vehicles other countrys can have,but not here,the goverment will save us from ourselves.

Ignore this member   
Hayabusa14

Expert Class
posted December 22, 2011 06:21 AM        
I had a friend of mine go down, about a month ago, that was going for a "short ride" . His helmet saved his life. He had on his helmet but no leather jacket, so he had lots of road rash. He says he will never ride without a helmet or jacket.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted December 22, 2011 07:03 AM        
I usually vote to keep the gov from telling me what to do, but riding without helmets is a social issue. When your brains turn to scrambled eggs from an accident (whether it was ur fault or not), usually Joe Taxpayer picks up the $250k hospital bill. Wear a helmet dumbass!
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted December 22, 2011 07:08 AM        
always helmet..no brainer
the people won't wear helmet they need to visit BESTGORE.COM, i think they will change their mind!

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted December 22, 2011 07:44 AM        
ARAI or DIE
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted December 22, 2011 08:44 AM        
When I was 17, I laid my bike down at 45mph, and split my helmet open. At 34, I was hit from behind while stopped at a gate to Ft Hood. I cracked that helmet too. I dont remember my head hitting the pavement in either one.
I do thank God for the organ donors who don't wear helmets. They provide a valuable donation to the more intelligent people on the planet and help to reduce the number of idiots on bikes.

PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted December 22, 2011 01:41 PM        
I don't care how hot it is, my helmet is always on.... Sorry but in my opinion, only fools don't wear their helmets

Ignore this member   
KillaKAW4LIFE

Expert Class
posted December 22, 2011 02:10 PM        
Having come off and taken a 3wk vacation in the hospital from an accident only 2 miles from my home. I say helmet law. I have no problem with it
  Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted December 22, 2011 02:13 PM        
What kind of noise and bugs could you get at 160 without a helmet?
  Ignore this member   
KillaKAW4LIFE

Expert Class
posted December 22, 2011 06:10 PM        
Having come off and taken a 3wk vacation in the hospital from an accident only 2 miles from my home. I say helmet law. I have no problem with it
  Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted December 22, 2011 08:34 PM        
I hate govt; getting in my business so I say make it a choice not a law. I still wear one every time I ride & not cause some fucking safety nazi tells me to.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
entropy

posted December 22, 2011 10:03 PM        
quote:
I hate govt; getting in my business so I say make it a choice not a law. I still wear one every time I ride & not cause some FUCKING SAFETY NAZI tells me to.

X10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every time legislation takes away a choice, you NEVER get it back.

Ignore this member   
icarus

Expert Class
posted December 22, 2011 10:05 PM        
I used to be part of the ABATE helmet law crowd, but after a while I eventually chose to wear one
full time. There are way too many stupid people out there, and I don't want to get killed or
permanently injured by one of them. It still is a freedom of choice issue in my opinion.

Later...

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted December 23, 2011 05:25 AM        
I do agree with the freedom of choice thing though, just like seat belts. I don't think the government should care if someone doesn't wear a seat belt or a helmet and dies, but I guess that would be one less person to pay taxes so they have to protect their interests.

Ignore this member   
Ozonkiller

Expert Class
posted December 23, 2011 09:27 AM        
quote:
quote:
I hate govt; getting in my business so I say make it a choice not a law. I still wear one every time I ride & not cause some FUCKING SAFETY NAZI tells me to.

X10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every time legislation takes away a choice, you NEVER get it back.

Quit saving me from myself.

Helmet law? What's next? Uber bikes are too uber...

You younger guys probably don't remember Joan Claybrook from the Carter era...

Makes Nader look like childs play

Be very careful what you ask for

Jmo,

Tom

Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted December 23, 2011 11:21 AM        Edited By: ryn0cer0s on 23 Dec 2011 19:25
quote:
I do agree with the freedom of choice thing though, just like seat belts. I don't think the government should care if someone doesn't wear a seat belt or a helmet and dies, but I guess that would be one less person to pay taxes so they have to protect their interests.

According to Texas law (I can't speak for other states) you are exempt from the requirement to wear a helmet as long as you have insurance that covers you in case of an accident.
This relieves the state of the primary interest in requiring a person to wear a helmet, that the state would have to pay a significant amount should you be involved in an accident. The original helmet law, with no exemptions, was argued for, and passed, on the basis that motorcycle riders who are not wearing helmets cost the state (i.e. the taxpayer) millions each year through unpaid medical bills. The state has no financial interest in keeping you alive, but it does have an interest in keeping you from causing the state to pay for your stupidity because you are not wearing a helmet.
I am not arguing that this is just or unjust, just stating the rationale. As for me, I would never ride without one, but, as long as I dont have to pay your medical bills, I could care less if you wear one. Hell, being in El Paso, I am tired of paying for illegals who hop the border fence just to have babies in an American hospital on my dime. Helmetless riders cost me a lot less than them.

edit: typo
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
blueLIGHTning

Expert Class
posted December 23, 2011 12:00 PM        
In Canada helmets are mandatory so really have no choice. When I was down in Florida I did have a choice and to be honest it depended on what riding I was doing. If I was doing freeway definitely helmet for safety and comfort as the wind/noise really make it hard to ride, but if I was just putting around in Key West it sure was nice to just putter around without a helmet. Just nice to have a choice, I mean if you look at everything that can kill you and is harming you from everyday life from polution to diet to sliping in a tub, government can save us from everything. Everything the government does seems to end up costing us more in the long run. Basically riders choice in my view, its your melon.
  Ignore this member   
sands

Expert Class
posted December 23, 2011 12:27 PM        
I think folks should wear helmets and I do as well...However, I disagree with a law enforcing the use of a helmet and I think someone should be able to choose whether or not they want to where one...Such a law is like legislating protection from you own self..The slippery slope is this could eventually extend to outlawing motorcycles because they are dangerous vehicles and after all, they might argue for sticking you in a padded room because if you fall you won't get hurt....

Ignore this member   
TheDayday

Parking Attendant
posted December 23, 2011 12:40 PM        Edited By: TheDayday on 23 Dec 2011 20:40
It's a very sticky issue. Government telling me what I can and cannot do is scary. IMHO, as long as it harms no one else, it's no one's business but your own. However, the major problem arises when someone thinks they're too cool for a helmet, gets into an accident, and becomes a quadriplegic. Guess who foots the bill? We do.

I'm not a big fan of Texas, but that law makes complete sense. Take all the risks you want, as long as you pay for the proper coverage so the rest of us won't have to pay for you the rest of your life in case something does go wrong as a result of your stupidity.

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted December 23, 2011 12:40 PM        
quote:
In Canada helmets are mandatory so really have no choice. When I was down in Florida I did have a choice and to be honest it depended on what riding I was doing. If I was doing freeway definitely helmet for safety and comfort as the wind/noise really make it hard to ride, but if I was just putting around in Key West it sure was nice to just putter around without a helmet. Just nice to have a choice, I mean if you look at everything that can kill you and is harming you from everyday life from polution to diet to sliping in a tub, government can save us from everything. Everything the government does seems to end up costing us more in the long run. Basically riders choice in my view, its your melon.

ya.. agree like smoking ciggarretts can kill you then they raise the taxes and prices on them so people won't buy them but then people still buying them.. another way of our goverment ripping us off.. if tobacco is so bad for you why in the hell they don't quit making them!!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: helmet or not? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.731543064117 seconds processing time