HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: zx12r Rear wheel NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Grinner

Novice Class
posted December 17, 2011 03:46 AM        
zx12r Rear wheel

I saw ages ago someone who was trying or atempting to fit a zx12r rear wheel into a Zx14r
I have one in place(temporarily but want to fir a correct size rear disc for the 14 onto the zx12r rear wheel.
Does anyone know which disc will fit, wether it be from another model or a supplier who has them in stock.......
I saw a post with shane661 who was asking about brakes from a 14r to a 12 dont know if you have any info please............
cheers

Grinner

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted December 17, 2011 05:05 AM        
tnt knows

wee

Ignore this member   
tnt

Expert Class
posted December 17, 2011 05:48 AM        
The 12 wheel bolts right up but you can't use tje 14 rotor! The 12 disc stops just fine and I actually like to stop a little softer at the dragstrip too! !

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted December 17, 2011 09:07 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 17 Dec 2011 17:11
I ran a 12R rear wheel on my 14 for a while also. As tnt says, it's a direct swap...just use the 12R oem rotor. I'll dig up the info from my old thread...

Shane

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted December 17, 2011 09:11 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 17 Dec 2011 17:13
From back in '08:

quote:
A while back, gms118 posted a thread about his new pro street 14 build:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=41612

In it he mentioned using a rear wheel from a 12R, for a significant weight savings. It is supposed to be a direct swap, so I figured I would try it and see the results. I have a 12R in pieces, and the rear wheel also happens to have a Shinko tire on it. So the weight comparisons should be close. The tire on the 12 is a little more worn, but probably not a big deal with the bathroom scale I am using. Here are the two wheels:

First up is the 14 wheel, with sprocket and rotor installed:

Next is the 12R wheel, with the sprocket carrier from the 14 installed, and a 12R stock brake rotor (they do not interchange):

Not bad, 3.5 lbs. for free really. That's equal weight savings to some aftermarket wheels!

Next I compared a few brake rotors. Here you can see that the 12 rotor is a little smaller in diameter than the one on the 14:

Next up is my 12R stock vs. 12R Braking wave rotor:

This rotor is 1 lb. or so lighter than stock. Unfortunately, the petals are cut so deep that barely any of the rotor will touch the pads:

I defintely don't like that. I took the bike for a ride, and the first thing I noticed was the pulsing. I don't mind the reduced braking, but I feel it is a safety issue the way the Braking brand rotor rides on the pad. Using the stock 12R rotor should be no problem at all, since it doesn't have the deep cuts of the wave rotor. I hate missing the chance to lose a little weight at a low cost, so I will be looking into some other aftermarket 12R rotor that is cut differently.

Here is the wheel on the bike:

These are just my results, and you may see differently on your scale. And, as always, be very careful when making changes to anything that could affect your safety. Measure, check, and re-check!

Shane

Hope this helps! You might dig up a 12R brake hanger, I strongly suspect it will swap right over and then you can use any 12R rear rotor that you want for weight savings.

Shane

Ignore this member   
miketmmns

Expert Class
posted December 17, 2011 11:18 AM        
Does the front wheel work to?
  Ignore this member   
Grinner

Novice Class
posted December 17, 2011 12:04 PM        
I have one also, a pair of an 05 bike, dont think it will, seem to remember somone exploring that ages ago too.
Thanks shane661 for the info I feel also that a 12r hanger is the most likely to fit too Ill get hold of one and post what I find...........cheers for that
Grinner

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted December 17, 2011 12:05 PM        
quote:
Does the front wheel work to?

No...

Ignore this member   
Grinner

Novice Class
posted December 18, 2011 01:36 AM        
Just been having a look at the 14 and 12 brackets, seems they are both quite different, it may need the whole caliper and bracket from the 12 to fit ........surely it cant be so difficult to find a disc manafacturer who does a disc or will make a disc with a 250mm diameter rather than 230mm????

As for the front wheel Ill have another look today to just what one needs to fit that front wheel if indeed it will go in.........
Grin

Ignore this member   
Grinner

Novice Class
posted December 19, 2011 09:10 AM        
well funny how you can answer your own questions, Been searching around for a disc. I rang EBC they cross referenced it to get to a ZZR1100 D1-D9 rear disc their part number is MD4014 and that should fit a zx12r rear wheel !!!!! That means you can use the zzr14 caliper etc...............
Grin

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: zx12r Rear wheel NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21506595611572 seconds processing time