HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: CZ BIG Brake kit NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Rook

Pro
posted November 30, 2011 03:18 PM        
CZ BIG Brake kit

Are these rotors any good for performance? The stock rotors have always been perfectly fine. I've always had plenty of braking power to spare on the stock system. The big brake kit look nice but I don't know if it can possibly improve anything. The word BIG right away makes me think HEAVY and that is def not what I want to do with my new rims.

Is the Big Brake Kit lighter than stock? Is the BIg Brake better in any way? Will a stock rotor even fit on a Carrazeria?

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted November 30, 2011 10:13 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 1 Dec 2011 13:14
The big brake kit for the ZX-14 Tri-R wheels uses CBR1000 bolt pattern. Stock rotors will not fit. The stock Kaw rotors are light; lighter than even the Galfers.

Shane

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted December 01, 2011 03:04 AM        
WOW, Damn! Thank you Shane. Really glad I asked. Looks like going with Tri R will be a project if I want to keep them light as light as possible.

The easiest rout would be to use a CBR rotor with the 14's calipers and pads. Any idea if that would work or not?

Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted December 01, 2011 04:24 AM        
quote:
The stock rotors have always been perfectly fine. I've always had plenty of braking power to spare on the stock system.

The easiest route would be to leave the things alone!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted December 01, 2011 04:25 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 1 Dec 2011 19:29
quote:
WOW, Damn! Thank you Shane. Really glad I asked. Looks like going with Tri R will be a project if I want to keep them light as light as possible.

The easiest rout would be to use a CBR rotor with the 14's calipers and pads. Any idea if that would work or not?

Using the Tri-R and CBR rotors should be no problem with the ZX-14 calipers. You will need 5mm spacers to raise the calipers for the larger 320mm rotors that come with the kit, if it doesn't include them already. The proper washers are a Honda CBR part, I believe.

Check the 2007 model year CBR and see if it has spacers under the calipers. At some point the CBR went from 310 to 320mm rotors, and Honda simply fitted spacer washers to compensate.

I think that a set of 10R wheels, using stock ZX-14 rotors up front, and a galfer 10R rear rotor, would be your best bang-for-the-buck, by far.

Shane

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted December 01, 2011 10:08 AM        
The OEM brakes are perfect. The wheels however, are just too heavy. I have seen what loosing weight does for a bike and for me, sport riding. weight loss mods are the most practical thing that can be done. They come into use 100% of the time the bike is operating.

Using the Tri-R and CBR rotors should be no problem with the ZX-14 calipers.
How would i go about finding the weight of a CBR Rotor? If it is the same or heavier than the BIG brake kit, I would just go with the CZ rotors.

I think that a set of 10R wheels, using stock ZX-14 rotors up front, and a galfer 10R rear rotor, would be your best bang-for-the-buck, by far.

Really? Do you have weights of ZX-10 rims? If they are very close to being as light as Tri Rs and cost a lot less, I might go for that.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted December 01, 2011 10:27 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 2 Dec 2011 01:39
quote:
The OEM brakes are perfect. The wheels however, are just too heavy. I have seen what loosing weight does for a bike and for me, sport riding. weight loss mods are the most practical thing that can be done. They come into use 100% of the time the bike is operating.

Using the Tri-R and CBR rotors should be no problem with the ZX-14 calipers.
How would i go about finding the weight of a CBR Rotor? If it is the same or heavier than the BIG brake kit, I would just go with the CZ rotors.

Really? Do you have weights of ZX-10 rims? If they are very close to being as light as Tri Rs and cost a lot less, I might go for that.

First, rotor weights are barely worth fussing over. 4 oz or so difference from light to heavy rotors, each. And it is close to the hub, meaning very little impact.

Second, 10R wheels and a light rear rotor can save about 8 lbs over stock. I have used stock, BST's, Carrozzeria (not Tri-R), and 10R wheels in various apps. My advice on 10R wheels is based on my experience, and expenses in the process. A 10R wheel conversion can be done for $500, if you shop around...a Tri-R setup is going to be $2000-$2500.

If you take cost out of the equation, get whatever makes you happy! If cost is not an issue, I would get the BST's. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Shane

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted December 01, 2011 12:04 PM        
First, rotor weights are barely worth fussing over. 4 oz or so difference from light to heavy rotors, each. And it is close to the hub, meaning very little impact.

Thanks, might just go with the Bigs if that is the easiest. They sell Tri R both with or w/o the Big brake kit. It's about $500 more for with. They do look nice.

If cost is not an issue, I would get the BST's. I guess cost becomes an issue right around the 2K$ mark so Carros are calling me. Gonna cut twice as much weight as ZX-10 wheels but yeah, gonna cost 4x as much.

thanks, bro.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted July 25, 2012 03:07 AM        
Rotors are close to the same weight for front but a galfer rear rotor is a lot lighter than stock. A supplier weighed a busa rear rotor vs a rear busa Galfer wave rotor. The galfer was 1lb, 2 oz lighter than stock

QUESTION:
Will a OEM rear rotor bolt pattern fit the rotor carrier studs on my Carrazeria TriR?? Please save me the hassle of taking off the my OEM wheel and rotor.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: CZ BIG Brake kit NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.28842902183533 seconds processing time