HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: marco simoncelli dead after crash in sepang NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
shawnski

Pro
posted October 23, 2011 04:37 AM        
marco simoncelli dead after crash in sepang

Sad news at motogp race. Simoncelli dies after crash in race in sepang. rip.. he was rising star but his career came up too short.

Ignore this member   
KillaKAW4LIFE

Expert Class
posted October 23, 2011 04:43 AM        
Wow I wasn't expecting to hear this. He wasn't my favorite but I never wanted to hear this. I pray the lord heals his family, friends, fans, and other riders.

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted October 23, 2011 04:53 AM        
What I heard is there was something happened to the chain and after hard crash the helmet came lose!! The race will air speed ch. Noon central time.

Ignore this member   
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted October 23, 2011 05:41 AM        

9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted October 23, 2011 05:42 AM        
It looks to me that Rossi struck his head with the front tire.
9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted October 23, 2011 06:22 AM        
Wow, this is absolutely horrible.... His helmet was knocked right off, face down on track. How tragic, his poor family having to watch that video.

Ignore this member   
Vmatti

Expert Class
posted October 23, 2011 06:43 AM        Edited By: Vmatti on 23 Oct 2011 14:43
Press conference:

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2011/Race+Direction+press+conference+Marco+Simoncelli

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted October 23, 2011 10:28 AM        
Horrible news - he was fighting to save a lowside and the front gained enough traction to swing him back into traffic, thats when Edwards and Rossi ran into him - unavoidable on their part but looked like Edwards hit his back and the bike, but Rossi caught his right arm and neck/helmet - sad and tragic, been a bad year for several teams and riders - RIP Marco, and condolences to the family, friends, and team

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Hellmutt's homepage. 
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted October 23, 2011 11:33 AM        
Prayers goes out to his family...... RIP Mr. Simoncelli

Ignore this member   
Shogun1

Parking Attendant
posted October 23, 2011 12:07 PM        
RIP Marco S...
  Ignore this member   
smokehouse4444

Zone Head
XX to ZX
posted October 23, 2011 12:09 PM        
Horrible racing accident. Rossi and Simoncelli were best friends. Edwards dislocated his shoulder. My heartfelt prayers go out to Marco, his family, and his friends.

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted October 23, 2011 01:02 PM        
Gotta wonder if Colin and Val decide to hang up their leathers after this one. That was a nasty wreck and I feel for all involved. RIP Marco
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted October 23, 2011 04:30 PM        
This one has me feeling a bit sick. Feeling real bad for Marco, Edwards & Rossi, and all Marco's team and family.

Damn it.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted October 23, 2011 05:17 PM        
I'm rather curious as to the explanation of why BBC reported him conscious but the follow up press releases suggest he never regained consciousness... and that he may have realistically died in the ambulance ("living" only due to CPR past that point).

If indeed Rossi was the unfortunate soul that hit his head (per Hellmutt... i can't bring myself to watch the replays) and they were best friends... I can't imagine what the impact on Rossi will be. He did appear what I thought to be very distraught as he rode out after the crash.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
shawnski

Pro
posted October 23, 2011 06:27 PM        
quote:
I'm rather curious as to the explanation of why BBC reported him conscious but the follow up press releases suggest he never regained consciousness... and that he may have realistically died in the ambulance ("living" only due to CPR past that point).

If indeed Rossi was the unfortunate soul that hit his head (per Hellmutt... i can't bring myself to watch the replays) and they were best friends... I can't imagine what the impact on Rossi will be. He did appear what I thought to be very distraught as he rode out after the crash.

Yes indeed... The videos showed rossi after crash and save he looked back at the accidents seen like he knew what the outcome would have been.

Ignore this member   
atldude

Expert Class
Working on it...
posted October 24, 2011 04:38 AM        
rip
  Ignore this member   
Rajun Cajun

Expert Class
posted October 24, 2011 09:31 AM        
OH MY GOD! This has my stomach hurting! I love motorcycle racing and to watch those guys ride hard. Its like you get to know them from watching often and now a friend/someone you have come to know has past away! It is tragic, hurtful and saddening! My prayers go out to all who knew him and are related to him!

Ignore this member   
Dixitrix

Parking Attendant
posted October 24, 2011 11:53 AM        
I do not think that Rossi ran into Simoncelli's head/helmit. It looks more like his head is flung back from the impact from Edwards. Just after that his helmit comes off before his head slams into the tarmac knocking him unconscious.

Hope this will help the Rossi fans. I dont want to see him retire because of these tragic events.

RIP Marco Simoncelli

Ignore this member   
87gtNOS

Zone Head
posted October 24, 2011 04:03 PM        
by the video you can't really tell the position he was in....he appears to be 'out' prior to impact....just hanging there.

Perhaps some other angles of the crash will emerge.

07 ZX14 - YEAH BABY! 03 ZX9R-traded in for the 14!!! June 07!
05 636-traded in for the 9 Sept 05

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted October 24, 2011 04:07 PM        Edited By: Wheelie on 25 Oct 2011 00:08
quote:
by the video you can't really tell the position he was in....he appears to be 'out' prior to impact....just hanging there.

Perhaps some other angles of the crash will emerge.

edit

wee

Ignore this member   
heraser

Expert Class
Tall Blue 14
posted October 24, 2011 05:19 PM        
quote:
I do not think that Rossi ran into Simoncelli's head/helmit. It looks more like his head is flung back from the impact from Edwards. Just after that his helmit comes off before his head slams into the tarmac knocking him unconscious.

Hope this will help the Rossi fans. I dont want to see him retire because of these tragic events.

RIP Marco Simoncelli

From the full version it doesn't look like Rossi ran him over. It really looks like Edwards and Simoncelli's bike did the damage. If you can watch it, Simoncelli's bike front takes a serious hop/bounce right before helmet is seen rolling and he is shown sliding face down. It happened so quick, you can see Edwards and Rossi trying to adjust but there was no room as Simoncelli's bike went right into them with him sliding and hanging on.

A terrible tragedy and an awful time for all. I always try to take something away from misfortune and in this case it ihas to
be to let go of a down bike. Not an easy task when you think it can be saved, but I have learned from personal experience that it is safer to let the bike slide away than to think you can direct a speeding 400-600 pound lead weight.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit heraser's homepage. 
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted October 24, 2011 05:56 PM        
I have also seen pictures from the front and Rossi definately struck his head and neck.
9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted October 24, 2011 05:59 PM        
quote:
quote:

RIP Marco Simoncelli

From the full version it doesn't look like Rossi ran him over. It really looks like Edwards and Simoncelli's bike did the damage. If you can watch it, Simoncelli's bike front takes a serious hop/bounce right before helmet is seen rolling and he is shown sliding face down. It happened so quick, you can see Edwards and Rossi trying to adjust but there was no room as Simoncelli's bike went right into them with him sliding and hanging on.

A terrible tragedy and an awful time for all. I always try to take something away from misfortune and in this case it ihas to
be to let go of a down bike. Not an easy task when you think it can be saved, but I have learned from personal experience that it is safer to let the bike slide away than to think you can direct a speeding 400-600 pound lead weight.

That is just the way he was... Commited, determind and take it to the limit all the time and that is why I like so much to watch him race from 250 to motogp... He could have been another rossi but we have no controls over our Destiny . He sure will be missed...

Ignore this member   
heraser

Expert Class
Tall Blue 14
posted October 24, 2011 06:25 PM        Edited By: heraser on 25 Oct 2011 02:45
quote:
I have also seen pictures from the front and Rossi definately struck his head and neck.

My bad, I now see your point, after seeing the front angle it is much more clear. So sad, he had so much spirit and joy.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit heraser's homepage. 
shawnski

Pro
posted October 26, 2011 02:49 PM        Edited By: shawnski on 26 Oct 2011 22:58
here is a blog from good o kevin schawntz wrote about simoncelli, i thought it would be good to share it with you all:

The first time I met Marco Simoncelli, it was with Valentino, and I think it was in '03 or '04. He was just getting started in Grand Prix and came to dinner with us after the Grand Prix in Barcelona. I was like, "Who is this kid? He's too big! He's never going to turn out to be anything." But Valentino's said, "No, he's really fast, really good." And of course Valentino was right.

Marco Simoncelli wasn't just a fast racer with a huge amount of talent and potential, he was also just a great kid. He just always had a smile on his face. He was happy to be racing. A lot of us—and I mean us, because it did get that way for me—it got to where racing was such a big job, it almost wasn't fun any more. You couldn't offset all the demands and the workload, for the hour of pleasure of trying to kick everybody's ass on Sunday. And Simoncelli, right to the very end, seemed to have the best grasp of anybody out there, on it.

There were three standouts in the sport, and now there are two. I'm probably going to get under some people's skin saying this, but it's Maverick Vinales, Marc Marquez, and it was Simoncelli. These are guys who were good figures for the sport. They always look to be having fun. There's always going to be the Pedrosas. There's always going to be the Stoners. But once Valentino is gone, all the character in the sport is gone.

Even as popular as Sic was, as many mistakes as he made this year, as many bikes as he crashed - he always had something good to say, and he always had a smile on his face. He always had time to stop and talk. "I'm learning. I'm making mistakes. I haven't been racing these bikes for ten years, I don't know what to do." And to me, he was kind of old school. A lot like myself. Not very finished when he first got on a bike, not very polished as a rider, but he was really coming to grips with what it took, and what was important. Not just the next corner, but the result at the end of the day.

I went and did a charity motocross ride that Valentino held a couple of years ago. I saw Marco there. You could tell Simoncelli hadn't been on a motocross bike very much at that point. Okay, so I'm not a Supercross rider, but I've ridden motocross bikes a lot, so I was talking to him a little bit about what he was doing, and how he was doing it. "Oh, yeah, thanks, that really helped me." And by the end of the weekend of motocross riding, it was all I could do to keep him in sight. He was one of those guys that was just like a sponge. He'd soak up absolutely everything, and he'd take in whatever helped him. Whatever helped him, he'd use, and whatever didn't, he'd throw away. He was always wanting to learn. Listening, and always showing an interest. you could see it in his face: 'This might be something I need to be listening to. This might be something that can help me.' And every time I was anywhere near his house, he was calling me to come over.

He and I probably texted even more than Spies and I do. I'd text him after a race, text him before a race. I texted him just before the Grand Prix in Australia. I said, "All you gotta do is get a good start and get with Stoner and stay with him for a couple of laps." I said, "A little bit of pressure and who knows what might happen." He texted me after the race. "Ah," he says, "Kevin, I didn't have the pace to go with Casey," he said, "but I'm very happy with the result. It was a hard fight to the finish." And I texted him back, and I said, "Yeah, that's great." He says, "You're coming to Valencia, right?" And I texted him back and said, "Yeah, of course." He said, "See you in Valencia."

We called each other the same nickname: Ciccio. I asked somebody what it means, and I think it means "Chubby" in Italian, or something like that, but he said it means "Buddy" more than anything.

He was just one of those guys who had such a great future in the sport. It's an unfortunate lifestyle that we choose, because sometimes it can be really, really brutal. It can be so unforgiving. That's what we saw yesterday. I don't know how, or what the series will do to honor him in Valencia, but I'm sure that everybody will come up with a plan that gives him suitable kudos, because he really was the future of MotoGP, for sure, for the next five or ten years.

Every time I'd go see him, he'd say, "Hey, let's go eat dinner." One time I called him, I think we were going to go bicycle riding, and he called me. "Hey, it's raining, Kevin. Let's not go bicycle riding. But I'll come pick you up at the hotel. I want to go show you something in my BMW." He had an M3. Of course, he and Graziano (Rossi) were super good pals, because they both just loved drifting their cars. They knew all these little bitty back lanes in Italy like the back of their hands. He lived in Riccione. All those little lanes around the back, between the track at Misano and the beach. Everything he did, he had an ear-to-ear grin on his face.

He'd say, "But see, Graziano taught me. He taught me well. You never make more than two laps," he says, "because if you do, then the police will be coming for sure." Whether it was a roundabout that we were doing donuts around, or whether it was a business center that was closed on the weekend, he goes, "You can't ever do more. Graziano says no more than two laps." Just stuff like that. He enjoyed life and it's just tragic that it was cut short. He had such a brilliant, bright future ahead of him.

I was just going back through some of the pictures on my phone. I sent him a picture ... I think it was a winter day here. I had a long-sleeved Simoncelli T-shirt on, and I texted him a picture. He texted me back within two minutes with a picture. He was in his BMW and the phone was behind the steering wheel, and he had his Kevin Schwantz shirt on.

He will be so dearly missed by everybody. His family are such nice people. His dad, his mom, his sister, his girlfriend, everybody. Anybody that I ever met with Marco, they were all as nice as they could be. I don't know when the funeral is going to be exactly, but there's not much doubt I'll be there. There won't be a dry eye in the house.

I didn't text him before the race in Malaysia. I sent his phone a text afterward, and just said, "58 Forever. Rest in peace, Ciccio."

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: marco simoncelli dead after crash in sepang NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25650000572205 seconds processing time