HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Torq Sequence, Cam Caps NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Rook

Pro
posted October 11, 2011 05:38 PM        Edited By: Rook on 12 Oct 2011 01:40
Torq Sequence, Cam Caps

Have just installed my cam shafts after removing them to do valve clearance.

SM says to draw up all bolts in camshaft caps and cam chain guard to seat the camshafts, then torque the bolts according to the specified tightening sequence. Only problem is that the SM does not specify any tightening sequence for cam caps/cam chain guard.

Does anyone have any clue as to what order the caps and chain guard bolts are best torqued?

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted October 11, 2011 09:26 PM        
tighten them all down until you get some resistances, then start with the middle and work your way out... hand tighten, using a lose wrench grip....You want the cams to go in evenly... the manual suggest a cris-cross bolt method......The specs are 106 in-lbs
Hopes this helps

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted October 11, 2011 09:40 PM        
Thanks, JT2. Where do you see the cross pattern in the manual? Page #?

I have the 06 Service Manual. Seems to serve the purpose most of the time but some things were updated by 2008. My bike is a 2008.

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted October 12, 2011 08:00 AM        
ch5-20:
First tighten the camshaft cap and all chain guide bolts
evenly to seat the camshaft in place, then tighten all bolts
following the specified tightening sequence

In order to evenly bolt the cam caps, you have to use the cris-cross bolt pattern....

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted October 12, 2011 09:33 PM        Edited By: Rook on 13 Oct 2011 05:34
Thanks for hanging with me on this JT2.

I also was looking at the same pagein my SM. Here is the diagram that is printed. It shows the order of the camshaft caps but unless I'm missing something, I do not see anything that indicates bolt tightening sequence. What I'm picking up is that there is no pattern specified. You just tighten diagonally across each cap. For example, upper left bolt to lower right. Lower left bot to upper right....then on to the next cap and criss cross the same way?????????

Sounds logical but that is not "specified" in the book. (I guess I should not be surprised since I have found numerous errors in grammar and unclear word usage throughout this technical manual).

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Torq Sequence, Cam Caps NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20739197731018 seconds processing time