HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Any idea about the clutch? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Slowninja

Expert Class
Slow-ride
posted October 10, 2011 12:46 PM        
Any idea about the clutch?

Are we stuck with teh same clutch, or did we get a 6 spring setup???

Ignore this member   
kneedragon1962

Novice Class
posted October 10, 2011 02:22 PM        
They say it has a slipper clutch, so it's not the same.

Ignore this member   
Slowninja

Expert Class
Slow-ride
posted October 11, 2011 02:06 AM        
Its not exactly the same..

But that doesn't mean it won't be the same setup, with an add-on.

I'm curious to know if we got a 6 spring setup or not

Ignore this member   
06redzx14

Pro
posted October 11, 2011 03:16 AM        
Why six springs? Clutch was best as it was. Real street class says so

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted October 11, 2011 04:14 AM        
i'd say they installed the connie 14 slipper clutch which is 6 springs

Ignore this member   
Slowninja

Expert Class
Slow-ride
posted October 11, 2011 09:30 AM        
Six springs gives better adjustability when working with a lockup. It also makes it easier to add spring pressure in a real street type application.

You can't buy the springs that were in teasleys or gadson's real street bikes... I tried

Ignore this member   
chrisrok

Novice Class
posted October 11, 2011 11:00 AM        
Slowninja, six springs are nice for even spring placement, however I have not had any issues with the five spring set for tuning a lock-up or in real street-format. I spent a lot of bench time with my spring tester trying to get a combination to hold 400 hp without a lock-up for real street. But it has been accomplished. BTW if you need the spring set-up that are in the bikes you mentioned (Teasley/Gadson), it is available. Those guys actually use two different set-ups. I even have a set up that is more aggressive than those two that I use to hold the turbo bikes. The turbo bikes set up for real street put out much higher torque than a N.O.S. bike and need even more static pressure to keep from blowing through the clutch pack. Somebody told you a little white lie about those springs not being availble. Just shootin at you straight man! Chris Jones
  Ignore this member   
Compton

Zone Head
posted October 11, 2011 11:21 AM        
Chris what have you found for a good pressure? I believe the set I used were around 85lbs each.

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted October 11, 2011 01:46 PM        
Compton,

I think if you call Chris, he will assist you, but understand ,,,,,, he runs a business.... R & D is not FREE.... This is his lively hood... and for the record he is a STRAIGHT UP Guy.

Ignore this member   
Slowninja

Expert Class
Slow-ride
posted October 11, 2011 02:35 PM        
I know that springs are available.

I ordered a set of "real street" springs from adams last year, got the green set. Those MIGHT be the springs they run in teasleys bike (yes, i know RG uses different springs)

I talked to coby one day on the phone, told him exactly what i was doing and WHY i wanted the springs. We ran a real street type class here in oklahoma last year, but none of the bikes would have come close to passing Mirock real street rules.. We just made a stock clutch class so some of us could have fun.

Anyways, I explained our class to Coby, told him my bike wasn't realstreet legal and that i wouldn't be driving over 1000 miles to race with them anyways, and that I needed some stronger springs. I explained to him that my bike trapped the same mph on a 60hp or 120hp shot, even though the front half mph was higher with the bigger shot. I needed more spring.

He straight up told me, those springs aren't for sale.

I wish i'd known about you last year, I could have dominated the class if i'd had a clutch that could have held the hp. BTW raceweight was 650lbs and it made 340hp on the big jets, 280 on the 60hp. As far as I can tell, the green springs were only enough to handle 280hp.

Ignore this member   
chrisrok

Novice Class
posted October 11, 2011 09:26 PM        
The stactic spring pressure that I apply to the clutch depends on the rider/weight, and the horsepower of the bike. I try to go towards the ligher side, simply because a bike with a ton of spring pressure is hard to launch smoothly. On most street bikes I typically use Brocks Heavy duty springs with no shims. Sometimes, I may only use three brocks spring, if the bike is a daily rider to avoid hand fatigue. Once we start adding a little dry NOS (30-60 hp), I will then start shimming the springs with the shims that Brocks offers. If my memory serves me correct, Brocks springs w/ his shims (.180), come in around 70-75 lbs. at installed height. That is typically enough to hold most average bikes when mutiplying that times five. Now in the case of a real-street application that changes. Typically speaking 80-85 lbs. of pressure will hold any NOS bike with an average weight rider. That is the case with a rider like Jeremy Teasley. A rider like Teasely has such a smooth clutch hand and finese when launching the bike that he never shocks anything. So therefore he is able to generally go a weekend of serious racing without hurting clutch fibers. In the case of the turbo bikes, I damn near turned my hair gray tring to get the clutches to hold on the top side. We would make passes turning 8.0's@175-177 and hear the clucth slipping from the 1000ft mark foward. I ended up going to an industrial spring and custom spacer set up that comes in at 90 plus lbs. per spring. If you don't get the lauch just right with that much pressure you will bog, and secondly if you throw it too fast once you are rolling you will be greeted with a wheelie if your ride is short wheelbase like John Fernandez was on my zx14 turbo. (61 inches, AMA real-street). I would only recommend this set up in a severe application such as a very high output turbo bike. The clutch in the zx is simply the best in my opinion. Believe me im not biased, I own a Busa also. I favor oem fibers, however the dragpacks sold by Cycle-Concepts and Spencer Cycle work just fine and will save you a lot of money. Thats my two cents. Hope is helps, sincerely Chris Jones.
  Ignore this member   
Compton

Zone Head
posted October 11, 2011 09:41 PM        
quote:
The stactic spring pressure that I apply to the clutch depends on the rider/weight, and the horsepower of the bike. I try to go towards the ligher side, simply because a bike with a ton of spring pressure is hard to launch smoothly. On most street bikes I typically use Brocks Heavy duty springs with no shims. Sometimes, I may only use three brocks spring, if the bike is a daily rider to avoid hand fatigue. Once we start adding a little dry NOS (30-60 hp), I will then start shimming the springs with the shims that Brocks offers. If my memory serves me correct, Brocks springs w/ his shims (.180), come in around 70-75 lbs. at installed height. That is typically enough to hold most average bikes when mutiplying that times five. Now in the case of a real-street application that changes. Typically speaking 80-85 lbs. of pressure will hold any NOS bike with an average weight rider. That is the case with a rider like Jeremy Teasley. A rider like Teasely has such a smooth clutch hand and finese when launching the bike that he never shocks anything. So therefore he is able to generally go a weekend of serious racing without hurting clutch fibers. In the case of the turbo bikes, I damn near turned my hair gray tring to get the clutches to hold on the top side. We would make passes turning 8.0's@175-177 and hear the clucth slipping from the 1000ft mark foward. I ended up going to an industrial spring and custom spacer set up that comes in at 90 plus lbs. per spring. If you don't get the lauch just right with that much pressure you will bog, and secondly if you throw it too fast once you are rolling you will be greeted with a wheelie if your ride is short wheelbase like John Fernandez was on my zx14 turbo. (61 inches, AMA real-street). I would only recommend this set up in a severe application such as a very high output turbo bike. The clutch in the zx is simply the best in my opinion. Believe me im not biased, I own a Busa also. I favor oem fibers, however the dragpacks sold by Cycle-Concepts and Spencer Cycle work just fine and will save you a lot of money. Thats my two cents. Hope is helps, sincerely Chris Jones.

it helps a lot, thanks Chris!I know you have way more time and bikes out there then me, and always find all your info nothing but useful and helpful. I just have a regular ole' nitrous bike. 64" and a 185lb rider and like you said ~85lbs seems to work, I check the fibers and steels and never had a bad plate and all the heat marks seem to be even. seems to hold well for my application. and i always check the spring pressure to make sure springs aren't getting weak.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Any idea about the clutch? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.26030111312866 seconds processing time