HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Rickey Gadson Very Happy With The 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted October 09, 2011 11:00 PM        
Rickey Gadson Very Happy With The 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

An obviously excited Rickey Gadson sent us his thoughts on the new ZX-14R along with his personal pics taken while experiencing the new bike shortly before public launch.

Rickey says:

The whole reason Kawi improved on their flagship model was to settle the issue of SUPREMECY. In the Flagship class......ONCE and FOR ALL!

I knew the new 14 was coming this year for 2012 3 years ago but didn't know the details. Mid summer of 2011 I got the chance to ride the 2012 ZX14R to do the 1st of 4 photo and or video shoots.

Every year since the ZX14 was introduced back in 2006, I have gotten a chance to test each years model during the photo shoot which has been held at an 1/8th mile dragstrip from the very start, since the bike is made to be the acceleration (straight line)KING although the flagship's cornering abilities are not a selling point for the 14.

Year after year the ZX14 has been unchanged since 2008 when minor changes were made which resulted in minor changes to low end acceleration but somehow sacrificed a HP increase in peak hp.

The bikes all have run between 6.45 and 6.51 in the eighth mile with a trap speed of 114 to 115 which is not bad considering it has stock exhaust with no tricks at all and the test were always done at Irwindale speedway in Cali where performance numbers suffer the most.

In 2011, the new 14R was announced by KMC japan to be the most POWERFUL and fastest accelerating production motorcycle on the planet....PERIOD!

Words of this magnitude were never uttured from Kawasaki which says a lot given that this is one one of the most politically correct OEMS ever to speak about their own product.

Contrary to popular opinion, they(Kawasaki) would rather not make a statement AT ALL than for their own statement to be used against them!

To verify the validity of improvements to the 2012, I took it upon myself to run the bike hard during the photoshoot which was now held in Barona Ca 1/8th mile strip outside of San Diego Ca which is 3000ft above sea level which is a slower track than Irwindale speedway.

In conditions less than optimal, the new King of the Quarter Mile still ran 6.32 at 118mph which backs up their claim off being the most powerful sportbike in the world by running the quickest and fastest pass ever during an unofficial test.

We moved on to Las Vegas Nevada to test the new 14R against the 2011 Hayabusa to see which bike is the real dominant machine on the dragstrip, no matter who the rider is piloting the 2 bikes.

Of course since Suzuki hasn't improved their fladship model, we only had a 2011 model Busa to use as a comparison, even though we assumed that the updated 14R would be too much to compare the Busa too, but considering these are the 2 baddest in the motorcycle world, Kawi really didn't have a choice especially since the gentlemans 300kph rule was still in effect, the 1/4 mile acceleration comparison would settle everything!

After originally planning to let a joe blow and excellent road racer(Derek Keyes) ride both bikes, we quickly found out that the clutch was going to be a problem on the new Busa, it grabbed too much, which is a problem that never changed since 1999 so the only fair comparison would be to compare trap speeds! The best trap speed he could run on the SUZUKI was 142mph at the las vegas 3300-3600 ft altitude racetrack, but on the other hand he managed to turn in 146-147mph 1/4 mile runs.

I also went 142-143 mph trap speeds on the busa and 147-148 on the new 14r.

Even 1/8th mile speeds were sperated by more than 3 mph as well.

The unbelievable part about the test is that I've never been faster than mid 9.90's.....9.97 i believe at only 142 mph at the years prior that I've tested at Vegas for Kawi with the previous 14.

This time I ran an unbelievable 9.71 at 147.90..........at nearly 100 degrees, with absolutely no modifications at all.........NONE!

Although Kawi is sure that this is the most powerful MC on the planet, they are only going to admit 210hp to the crank.................ONLY! Who knows maybe it'll have a lil more..........just MAYBE!!

One thing I can assure you is that it doesn't matter who is on the Busa or when you twist throttle, the 14R will ROCKET past it with such authority,you can get off the throttle and back on again and still run away from the competition!

The day has COME!!

That day is.......TODAY!!!!

Rickey Gadson
9 time and current World Champion Motorcycle drag racer

Source: Rickey Gadson

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
zx12mark

Pro
posted October 10, 2011 12:15 AM        
ugly chunk of 15 grand.. what a let down.it is NOT a R model motorcycle.they lied to us.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
mathews

Expert Class
posted October 10, 2011 01:16 AM        
Obviously they didnt improve the cooling system.221 degrees?
  Ignore this member   
08green

Expert Class
posted October 10, 2011 01:25 AM        
and 18 lbs heavier...cool!!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted October 10, 2011 01:30 AM        
quote:
Obviously they didnt improve the cooling system.221 degrees?
Hot lap the bike and shut off the key .. Wait a few seconds and the water temp goes up .. Turn back on the key without starting the engine to take a photo you will see a high temp reading ..

Ignore this member   
FearsomeKawasaki

Novice Class
posted October 10, 2011 02:07 AM        Edited By: FearsomeKawasaki on 10 Oct 2011 16:21
Using an "altitude adjuster", it says that the e.t. and trap speed Rickey achieved equates to 9.285 @ 154.788 MPH.

If it's remotely close to that I'm impressed considering it was a totally stock, stock height run.

Here's the calculator: http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/correctionfactors.html

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted October 10, 2011 02:12 AM        
Of all the tracks they could test at, I wonder why they test there. They could test somewhere like MIR and put up good numbers, or Sacramento, or a dozen other sea level tracks across the country.

Ignore this member   
Romans

Expert Class
posted October 10, 2011 02:23 AM        
Same suspension No big piston front forks, same wheels same Frame,,,,, the same word could go on and on, Looks heavier so,,, New plastics, ABS, and Ten more Hp = No Need To Upgrade.

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 10, 2011 02:27 AM        
quote:
and 18 lbs heavier...cool!!

You sure thats correct?
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 10, 2011 02:32 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 10 Oct 2011 16:33
quote:
Same suspension No big piston front forks, same wheels same Frame,,,,, the same word could go on and on, Looks heavier so,,, New plastics, ABS, and Ten more Hp = No Need To Upgrade.

Yeah, I was going to buy one too. But once I saw that they didn't change the bar end weights, forget it.

Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted October 10, 2011 02:33 AM        
I totally agree with Dakota!!

Ignore this member   
Ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted October 10, 2011 02:34 AM        
quote:
Of all the tracks they could test at, I wonder why they test there. They could test somewhere like MIR and put up good numbers, or Sacramento, or a dozen other sea level tracks across the country.

My thinking is if they picked out the best track and the numbers it would run, may just bring too much attention from the goverment or ?

Maybe not but that seems the only logic to me.

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted October 10, 2011 02:49 AM        
Romans, you may wanna read the release info again. Several of your facts are incorrect. New wheels & revamped frame & no abs.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted October 10, 2011 04:11 AM        
quote:
Romans, you may wanna read the release info again. Several of your facts are incorrect. New wheels & revamped frame & no abs.

Kinda what I thought!

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted October 10, 2011 07:54 AM        
I think it looks great, Alot has changed for the better. I like the green with flames. Im not sure about almost 15k retail but we will see. Im sure those huge exhaust cans infused with all kinds of EPA stuff weigh tons. I bet a full system saves 25 lbs. Can't wait for Smokin to slap one his dyno for the real truth!

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted October 10, 2011 10:24 AM        
quote:
quote:

My thinking is if they picked out the best track and the numbers it would run, may just bring too much attention from the goverment or ?

No need for excuses, its going to run what its going to run. If its really all that the real world is going to show it one way or the other. Right now its all about selling bikes.....

Ignore this member   
Lou D

Novice Class
posted October 10, 2011 10:43 AM        

I`m not selling my beautiful 2008 sapphire blue. Looks like a tank. LD

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Lou D's homepage. 
dakota9498

Pro
posted October 10, 2011 10:45 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

No need for excuses, its going to run what its going to run. If its really all that the real world is going to show it one way or the other. Right now its all about selling bikes.....

Nothing about "excuses" in either post. And like you said, "Right now its all about selling bikes", so why wouldn't they pick a track where they could put down some impressive numbers?

Ignore this member   
ZX14Ryan

Parking Attendant
posted October 10, 2011 11:50 AM        
I like the new design. I wonder I'd the plastics will work on my 2007????

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted October 10, 2011 11:56 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nothing about "excuses" in either post. And like you said, "Right now its all about selling bikes", so why wouldn't they pick a track where they could put down some impressive numbers?
I'm all about impressive numbers for the new 14 :-) I've been a kawi fan my whole life, and up until the busa kawi was known as the go to bikes for ultimate speed and power. But its been a long time since the zx11, and because the busa came out and CRUSHED everything, its been the final word in ultimate performance in the general publics eye. Its been a long 12 years of kawi playing second fiddle in sales AND reputation, I hope this machine makes a statement that everybody sees. Kawi needs to get some recgonition back

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted October 10, 2011 12:08 PM        
Me likee!
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 10, 2011 08:02 PM        
They said it would be in the 8s with little difficulty

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
CajunBoyz

Zone Head
posted October 10, 2011 09:04 PM        
Does this head has bigger buckets??

Ignore this member   
Romans

Expert Class
posted October 10, 2011 09:39 PM        
quote:

That info was not avaiable when post was made, my bad. Still,,,, I will wait to see what Brock does with it before I make the leap. 10 hp, more weight??????, Suziki the stage is set. Sorry but I was looking for less weight. Power to weight ratio still very important. No ?

I'm sure I will end up with one.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted October 11, 2011 12:40 AM        
Look guys my 06 and 09 zx14 made about 174 HP pipe and tunned ... Both ran mid 8.70s .. Those two bikes made about 162 HP stock ..
Now look at the 2012 ZX14R .. It's 1441 with a new and hand ported head , bigger cams .. No way this thing makes less than 20 HP more than the 06 to 2011 ZX14 .. So 20 Hp is a big jump over the old ZX14 .. 162 + 20= 182 HP STOCK .. I'm betting it will be a little more than 182 after break in ( a 1000 miles or so ) With no pipe and no tunning this bike should out run a piped and tunned 2006 to 2011 ZX14 in a roll on race .. Now add a pipe and tune ( lets say 15 HP gain ) 197 HP to the tire ...Ricky feels the HP claimed by Kawi is under rated as do a few others i have talked to that are in the know about this new bike ..You could see this bike making over 200 with bolt ons on pump gas .. Now keep in mind that i ran 8.70s with only a 174 HP .. What do you think i could run with 200 HP ?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Rickey Gadson Very Happy With The 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.42328190803528 seconds processing time