HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: low dyno numbers? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 26, 2011 06:13 AM        
low dyno numbers?

Hey guys.. I had my bike dyno/ tuned over at my dealership where i bought the bike at... I was a little let down with the numbers.. Back in December when i was stock i put out 176whp.. But it was a very cold morning that day, in tampabay.. Yesterday i put out 170whp and im running a brocks short meg, bmc air filter and pc5.. The guy did not have any brocks maps, so he used a leovince map that he had.. He said that that was the best one he had, But that i should call and get the brocks map and retune it.. Plus it was an extremely hot day with a massive amount of humidity.. Could that have been a big factor in the low numbers? The bike runs and feels like a completely different animal from when it was stock?? What do u guys think.. Your input would be much appreciated.. Thanks..

Ignore this member   
BrucerZX14

Expert Class
posted June 26, 2011 07:51 AM        Edited By: BrucerZX14 on 26 Jun 2011 15:51
Heat and humidity kill power. You need the Brocks map. If he was tuning it, why couldn't he pull better numbers out of it?
  Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 26, 2011 08:03 AM        
Fuck dyno numbers. You need to think about win lights and MPH

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted June 26, 2011 09:21 AM        
[ quote]Fuck dyno numbers. You need to think about win lights and MPH

+1

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 26, 2011 01:22 PM        
I don't get how he couldn't pull better numbers.. Im actually trying to find somewhere else to go get my bike tuned at... Not the dealership where i brought it, like an actual performance shop.. Im hoping not having the right map could be the issue.. The bike feels way stronger then stock.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 26, 2011 01:37 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 26 Jun 2011 21:37
The dyno numbers are corrected for the ambient conditions. Meaning that even with hot, humid air you should get a comparable # to when the bike is run on a cool day.

Stock bikes do not put out 176 hp, except on very happy dyno's. You can expect low-mid 170's on bike with a Brock's pipe and running pump gas.

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 26, 2011 02:04 PM        
I just was expecting higher numbers i guess.. I gained no power at all from stock?? How can this be possible.. But my bike feels much quicker tho from stock... I see these same bikes dynoing much higher then this with the same mods?
  Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted June 26, 2011 02:28 PM        
Did you get the run files before and after or just the print outs?
Either way, check the correction factors (top right hand corner) are the same. If they're not you're
comparing apples and eggs!
If you got the run files, you can change the correction factors to the same and get a true comparison.
Even then your numbers will differ on a different dyno.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 26, 2011 02:55 PM        
As Shane said, mid 170's is right for the mods you got. Mine did 175hp with same mods,
My $.02 worth, I wouldn't pay to get it tuned. The brocks map are close enough, unless 2-3 hp is worth $250 plus gas to drive to a tuner, time, etc.
If your going to get it tuned, Jones Performance in Chiefland, FL is as good as they get!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 26, 2011 03:53 PM        
quote:
I just was expecting higher numbers i guess.. I gained no power at all from stock?? How can this be possible.. But my bike feels much quicker tho from stock... I see these same bikes dynoing much higher then this with the same mods?
On my old dyno stock zx14s 162 to 165 ... Modded ( piped and tuned ) can run from 173 to 176 ... My 09 zx14 made 176 .. You need to add about 10 hp for the ram air ... Don't get all caught up in the numbers ...

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 26, 2011 04:55 PM        
I'm not getting caught up, I just don't understand how i gained 0 hp after a full exhaust install and tuning.. I see people putting 180's to low 190's with these mods on these forums.. Are those not accurate numbers that those people are putting out? Then i pay 150 dollars to tune and they don't even do tq numbers.. The guy told me its alot more work and that he has to splice into a cable to see tq numbers?.. Is this right..
  Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 26, 2011 04:58 PM        
That was what i was really looking forward to seeing as well.. Seeing that these bikes are known for there huge tq numbers...
  Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 26, 2011 05:05 PM        
quote:
I'm not getting caught up, I just don't understand how i gained 0 hp after a full exhaust install and tuning.. I see people putting 180's to low 190's with these mods on these forums.. Are those not accurate numbers that those people are putting out? Then i pay 150 dollars to tune and they don't even do tq numbers.. The guy told me its alot more work and that he has to splice into a cable to see tq numbers?.. Is this right..

You paid 150 bucks for a free map lol man you got boned and NO you don't need to do any splicing to get a tq number...

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
joel787

Zone Head
posted June 26, 2011 05:10 PM        
Wow!

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 26, 2011 05:10 PM        
Well he said he choose a leovince map.. He didn't have any brocks maps.. I need to find a real performance shop.. Not the stupid dealer where i bought the bike at.. Honestly I don't really know if that guy new what he was doing.
  Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 26, 2011 05:16 PM        
quote:
Well he said he choose a leovince map.. He didn't have any brocks maps.. I need to find a real performance shop.. Not the stupid dealer where i bought the bike at.. Honestly I don't really know if that guy new what he was doing.

He loaded up a map off the PC website I bet, and charged you 150 bucks for it. Call up Brock and ask him for a map for the pipe you have load the map up and be done.

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
3000psi and falling

Zone Head
posted June 26, 2011 05:18 PM        
quote:
quote:
On my old dyno stock zx14s 162 to 165 ... Modded ( piped and tuned ) can run from 173 to 176 ... My 09 zx14 made 176 .. You need to add about 10 hp for the ram air ... Don't get all caught up in the numbers ...

Mine with slipon's made 156hp , but I walk away from bikes that put down much higher numbers on the same dyno same day, in roll on races. The dyno is a tunning tool, not for comparision to other dyno numbers.
Flies pulled, 16-42, BMC street, 8" extensions, drag shock, cut pan, Cycle Concepts Drag Pack and springs, muzzy m14 w/ oval can, lowered, Shinco usoft rear, pcv with autotune, leightweight Shori 18ah battery, throttle meister. 500lbs at bandimeres scales with half tank of juice.

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 28, 2011 03:27 AM        
Thanks guys so much for all your input.. I'm going to call and get the brocks map and find a performance shop around my area...
  Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted June 28, 2011 07:24 AM        Edited By: NINJA12 on 28 Jun 2011 15:25
You didn't get tuned!
The guy loaded a free map and did a dyno pull. That usually cost $50-$75.
A tuner would have made changes to the map to get the A/F ratio your bike liked, and it would not matter what map he started with.

You say you not worried about numbers but then you said you gained 0 hp. 0 is a number.
You missed the point, you can take your bike to a shady tuner he can change the correction to show you gained 10 hp and never touch your bike. IT would be no faster.
A good tuner might show you lost DYNO HP from the Hack job, but the bike would be light years faster.

Which would you rather have a big dyno number or a fast bike. They don't always go together.
Unless you are a serious racer, load the Brock map and enjoy that extra money like the guys said.

GL

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted June 28, 2011 12:48 PM        
Wow are u serious! U guys are great.. This is why i love these forums, alot of great input from experienced people.. I'm new to the bike scene and still learning... NINJA12, what u wrote makes perfect sense and u are right... Now i need to find somewhere where i can go get the brocks map loaded.. I'm not going back over there where they will charge me 150.. It sucks cuz where i live in tampabay, there reallly isn't nowhere to go near buy.
  Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted June 28, 2011 02:24 PM        
If you or a friend has a laptop it very easy to do.
I wouldn't pay more than $10-20 to load a map.
That's great money for 5 minutes work.

Post up and ask for help loading a map in tampabay, or tuners nearby.

I'll bet somebody here will help you for a cold beer or hot burger.

Positive tip....The dealer didn't charge you for a dyno tune, they usually cost $250-$350.

Ignore this member   
JZX

Zone Head
posted June 28, 2011 08:10 PM        
The guy should have at least been able to build you a custom map??? Either way, erase all thoughts of the 176hp your bike put down stock. Get a Brock map for whatever you do with the bike and adjust the map for your DA and season of the year. Brock even knows that the map his ZX14 ran the best ET's with was reading LOWER on the dyno then his other maps. So if you race, remember that.

Best 1/8 mile 5.68@126.4 on a 1.41 60'
Best 1/4 mile 8.87@152.7 on a 1.47 60'

Ignore this member   
Johnnycheese

Pro
posted June 29, 2011 06:24 PM        
this is more common than ya think. sportbikes not as much as cruisers.
they tell me they have a custom map from a dealership and I asked how much did she gain? the answer feels good. but they had no dyno. 150.00 LMAO

Ignore this member   
quikgix

Expert Class
posted June 30, 2011 06:33 AM        
When installed 47mm throttle bodies we picked up 2HP after 10k rpm and lost torque through whole rev range.I did use a different rear tire from previous runs on that dyno and that was the only thing that was changed on my bike..It is tuned at 12.8:1A/F and thats what matters most to me anyways.I took it to the track and picked up 4mph in the 1/8th 127 mph before and 131mph after.

Ignore this member   
10zx14red

Parking Attendant
posted July 06, 2011 06:07 PM        
Yeaa i guess i got screwed! How hard is it to load a map myself? My bike feels stronger then ever with the leovince map in... I cant wait to get the brocks map in.. Thanks guys for all your input
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: low dyno numbers? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22453689575195 seconds processing time