HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: WOW...KAWASAKI DID ME A FAVOR!! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
RACNRAY

Expert Class
FAST OLD GUY
posted February 05, 2011 07:45 AM        
WOW...KAWASAKI DID ME A FAVOR!!

A little history for anyone not familiar with me. I started in the South Florida m/c biz in September of 1976, just a few months outa high school. I got the floor sweeper/trash can emptier/bathroom cleaner/gopher this & gopher that/errand boy/bike assembler position at a Kawi dealer down her. Man o man i was one important dude, and happy i left my fledgling carreer in auto mechanics.

Anyways, i was very lucky to have the positive influence of a very good service manager and a couple of good consiencous mechanics. That s/m eventually went into sales, and what follows was a succession of s/m's that fell short in their duties. The last s/m was a party dude. He showed up for work one morning after being gone for 3 days, he came in looking like something even a cat would not have drug in. I was speaking with the shop owner who interupted our conversation to tell this guy ..."stop...turn around...leave"!. LOL. Anyways, about an hour after that i was told the owner wanted to see me in his office. I went in there and he offered me the s/m job. It came with a raise so as i was young, eager ( and stupid) i accepted. He sent me to Kawisaki's training seminar for service department orientation to help me learn.

I attacked a HUGE backlog of warranty claims that had not been taken care of, and at first enjoyed my new position. As the first person a customer would speak to about problems with their skoot i learned to listen carefully and to be fair and honest. I had to follow Kawasaki's warrantee policies, but i never tried to manipulate or deny legitament warrantee work to a customer. Only once did i have a say in denying warrantee work when a customer came in with his KZ1000 with second gear jumping out and he also wanted us to warrantee his back tire which was completely worn out with less than 2500 miles. I asked him if he had been drag racing, he said yes, i asked if he had missed second gear, he said yes, a few times, and then i reached under the rear fender and scraped of his back tire with my fingers. Even tho i knew what he had been doing, i still called Kawi's tech line and explained the situation. The technician told me that he seemed to agree with my assessment that the guy had been drag racing but told me it was my decision as to if Kawi
should cover these problems. That's the only time i denied warranty.

So, what the heck is all this about? Well, my 14 ended up having warped front rotors, and as they got worse it really started to not only annoy me but presented a safety factor. Since the skoot is still under warrantee i figured i get these things replaced if they were out of allowable tir. I set up my dial indicator and checked the run-out, finding one rotor was
at .010" (the service limit) and the other was .011" out. I gave this info to the Kawi dealer.

At first i got the "normal wear " b/s, but they were gonna call the tech rep anyways. Now we all know rotor warpage is not and can never be termed "normal wear", but i kept my mouth shut. A week later i got the approval, and Kawi was gonna do this on a "GOODWILL" basis.
As my dad use to say..."for crying out loud", what are they thinking!!??

Again I kept my mouth shut so i could get my rotors. It is just a crying shame that their has to be such b/s. I feel for the owners of skoots that don't have the background i have and get this crap. I hear it all the time.

Rant over.

RACNRAY

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted February 05, 2011 08:27 AM        
FUKK KHI and their warranties ..

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted February 05, 2011 11:01 AM        
I'm changing front rotors for the 3rd time hmm

Ignore this member   
RACNRAY

Expert Class
FAST OLD GUY
posted February 05, 2011 11:45 AM        
quote:

There is a trick that helps prolong the life of the rotors. Remove the plastic washers that Kawi puts between the rotors and the wheel. These reduce heat transfer from rotor to wheel. I did this on my 2006 and it worked, i waited too long on this skoot to do it. Just remember to clean the pistons and push them back in the caliper to allow the pistons to relocate themselves in the caliper bores to compensate for the different rotor position.

RACNRAY

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted February 05, 2011 02:00 PM        
Turned down a drag racer repairs .... Shame on you ...

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted February 05, 2011 02:18 PM        
quote:

+1

Ignore this member   
watthecu

Zone Head
PissingContestHere
posted February 05, 2011 02:46 PM        
Excuse me? Warp rotors under warranty? I have approx 18K miles stabbing the front brakes 100% of the time and my rotors are not warped; I chatter front wheel and all that shit. GOODWILL should gave you a brake check card you be punching front wheel skid marks and still no rotor damage to speak of.

If you cannot see a patter someone says they are on their third set of rotors and you are going to say 6 out of 6 rotors over the counter are junk?

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Hose Sea Fats, Buff full low bobskis shit skis, what the fuck you doing to that lever, jerking it off or braking down some good... WELL?

6 out of 6 do I wanna hear this excuse.

Ignore this member   
CraigChrist

Pro
BAWLS
posted February 05, 2011 11:36 PM        
quote:
quote:

+1

+2... Who do you think was selling all of the KZ1000's back in the day?! It definitely wasn't retards on the sales floors. When it comes to drag bikes, two things sell them. High horsepower numbers, and people who are riding them showing how fast they can run.

That being said... that guy is an idiot for saying that he had been drag racing. Deny, deny, defeat...

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted February 06, 2011 05:54 AM        
quote:

At first i got the "normal wear " b/s, but they were gonna call the tech rep anyways. Now we all know rotor warpage is not and can never be termed "normal wear", but i kept my mouth shut. A week later i got the approval, and Kawi was gonna do this on a "GOODWILL" basis.
RACNRAY

Seems to me that they did the right thing for you Ray without admitting any liability.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted February 06, 2011 09:59 AM        
If you cannot see a patter someone says they are on their third set of rotors and you are going to say 6 out of 6 rotors over the counter are junk? what the fuck you doing to that lever, jerking it off or braking down some good... WELL?

6 out of 6 do I wanna hear this excuse.

Thanks Ray~

Hey Pisses your pants.. I ride the front brake all fucking day. Is that bad?
Tell me your ways oh Great One
where's the emoticon for Fuck You in your cuntry?

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted February 06, 2011 10:57 AM        
quote:
quote:

There is a trick that helps prolong the life of the rotors. Remove the plastic washers that Kawi puts between the rotors and the wheel. These reduce heat transfer from rotor to wheel. I did this on my 2006 and it worked, i waited too long on this skoot to do it. Just remember to clean the pistons and push them back in the caliper to allow the pistons to relocate themselves in the caliper bores to compensate for the different rotor position.

RACNRAY

You know I did just that same thing!
I haven't had a rotor issue for 10's of thousands of miles now and I think that is a big reason for it.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted February 06, 2011 11:25 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 6 Feb 2011 19:26
you guys need to learn its not the rotor thats warping but the cheap ass metal from the rotor to the mounting bolts on rim that is warping thus causing the rotor to warp .. even the cheap chinese rotors are an improvement over the OEM junk ..

Ignore this member   
watthecu

Zone Head
PissingContestHere
posted February 06, 2011 07:58 PM        
quote:
Hey Pisses your pants.. I ride the front brake all fucking day. Is that bad?
Tell me your ways oh Great One
where's the emoticon for Fuck You in your cuntry?

Yes, that is the problem; you are on the brakes too much. What you do is scare yourself and brake at the last moment.

My emoticon is a rear brake pad with 20K on the bike with the original front and rear discs. Let me add the original pads are as new as when they were first installed. Maybe a little rub here and there, but do you see other 14's swapping brake discs with your matching mileage?

Do you find it odd that Kawi would sell 6 discs to you and all 6 warp? I buy more sets of tires than I do discs. And yes, I bet if I watched your habits, it's classic warp-village-idiot.

Maybe if you moved below the equator, it might warp the other direction, I don't know?

Ignore this member   
slacker83

Novice Class
posted February 07, 2011 07:09 AM        
My bike is at 8k right now and I started getting a pulsating feeling in the front end at around 6500 miles or so when slowing down. I cleaned off the rotors and scuffed up the pads because I had heard about dirty rotors causing issues like this. This feeling came back after 1k miles so I decided to do a cleaning again and try new pads, this time it was gone for 500 miles so I decided this riding season is just going to start off whith some new aftermarket rotors and ss lines.

Steve

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: WOW...KAWASAKI DID ME A FAVOR!! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23189997673035 seconds processing time