HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: What's the best camera system for the 14 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Black1

Parking Attendant
posted January 26, 2011 11:59 PM        
What's the best camera system for the 14

I'm looking to buy a camer system for the 2011 season so I'm asking you all what do you think is the best camera system for the 14.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted January 27, 2011 02:58 AM        
Www.gopro.com
Really nice camera!

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted January 27, 2011 04:59 AM        
Speaking of, eklipse is yours a standard or an hd gopro? I have the standard, but i don''t remember the quality being as good as the videos you posted.

Ignore this member   
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted January 27, 2011 06:04 AM        
Crap, now I need one of these too, need a fourth job! love their website!
  Ignore this member   
Luuk

Novice Class
posted February 03, 2011 05:26 PM        
I -LOVE- my hero HD cam from www.gopro.com
  Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted February 03, 2011 07:15 PM        
Mine is the hd, but it wasn't recording on hd, just the standard setting. The higher you put the settings on the smaller the view is it records.

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted February 03, 2011 07:24 PM        
Gotcha, I need to do a few tests to make sure that I mount it so I can see my hands on the bars. I am 6'3", so that is a long ways down...lol

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 03, 2011 07:57 PM        
'Sup Black!

GoPro. You already got all the details from me. 0 complaints.

Ignore this member   
Black1

Parking Attendant
posted February 03, 2011 10:18 PM        
What's good?

Just covering all the bases my man before I buy anything. You can never get enough info. Right?

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted February 04, 2011 03:22 AM        
quote:
What's good?
quote:

read post above. I think that's the same question that was asked to start this thread.

Ignore this member   
CajunBoyz

Zone Head
posted February 04, 2011 06:04 AM        
I like the contour Vholr 1080P, Mounts on your helment,wide perifial view, records in HD

http://contour.com/camera/contour_hd

Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 06:08 AM        
quote:
The higher you put the settings on the smaller the view is it records.

Given that, and the slower frame rates at higher resolutions,
Do you find yourself using lower resolutions alot?
Is the HD worth the extra $$$ ?

Ignore this member   
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 07:29 AM        
I'm also in the market for a gopro & I was curious to who's using what mounting system. Helmet , bike, ???

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 04, 2011 07:36 AM        
quote:
quote:
The higher you put the settings on the smaller the view is it records.

Given that, and the slower frame rates at higher resolutions,
Do you find yourself using lower resolutions alot?
Is the HD worth the extra $$$ ?

I've seen the older model GoPro selling for $100 on Ebay. The video quality is choppy. It skips at regular intervals about every 3seconds. This is not Too noticeable if the footage is fairly still but for action, it is pretty monotonous. I do not know if the Contour does the skip/3sec.

If you are going to get a GoPro, I would ONLY get the new GoPro HD. Record and retrieve technonolgy is same as current larger vid cams (although the current "larger" vid cams are not much larger than the GP or Contour).

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 04, 2011 07:53 AM        Edited By: Rook on 4 Feb 2011 15:19
quote:
I'm also in the market for a gopro & I was curious to who's using what mounting system. Helmet , bike, ???

The Suction cup mount that comes with the motorsports package is all I have used. It will NOT work as a tank mount because there is not a large and flat enough surface on the tank. It mounts to the side or lower very well. Also the tail fairing. I always safety wire it but I have never had the slightest indication that it was coming loose. The mount would break under impact but there is nothing much that would take that suction cup off. Once it's set, it's part of the bike.

The motorsports package includes a few flat and curved self adhesive mounting plates. Haven't tried them but I hear they work well.

Techmount is the mount that was recommended to me for the GoPro (and other stuff like GPS, LCD, radar detector). I do not own one so I can't comment. I have a feeling the need for a bolt down tank cover mount is a thing of the past. These new cams are so light...........if you needed a bolt down, you could always get that after trying the mounting equipment that comes with the GoPro. The GoPro has a tripod adapter for extra 5-6$ that will screw onto any standard photo mount threads. I have the Tri pod adapter too. Works good.. Cheap quality but for a few $ it's fine.

http://www.techmounts.com/products/

Ignore this member   
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 07:58 AM        
How do these things do in low light conditions. I like how the contour is more aerodynamic but the videos on their website struck me as more choppy than the GP.
  Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 04, 2011 08:08 AM        
quote:
How do these things do in low light conditions. I like how the contour is more aerodynamic but the videos on their website struck me as more choppy than the GP.

The only thing I wish was better on the GoPro is the nighttime capability. I suppose it is a lot to ask of a cam to adjust to the rapid changes in exposure requirements at night. You are in the dark and suddenly there is a streetlight . The cam can't adjust and the film looks dark. Have not played around with settings but I doubt nightoime vids are going to be achievable. If there is a little light, such as right after sundiwn, the GoPro works fine for that. When the sky gets dark, it sux.

Been a while since I looked but the vids on the GoPro sight looked choppy to me last year. This was for the GoPro HD. I dod not know why. My vids are perfectly smooth no matter how fierce the action is. Have some vids of the kids dancing and they look like any other vid except the wide angle lens.

Ignore this member   
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 08:14 AM        
Well, maybe they will add infrared in the future?
  Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 04, 2011 08:41 AM        
I think That would have to be a whole new cam because the lens is built in. Good idea though. I would love to see interchangable lenses. That would make the cam perfect.

THere is a new LCD BacPac that is available. You can now view in real time and view play back on the cam. Ordering mine today.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 04, 2011 08:50 AM        
OMG!!!! there is going to be a 3-D update for the GoPro available soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the glasses will be extra.

GoPro is developing a 3D system. It will come with one camera, a case for the 2, a link cable to connect them, and they'll be releasing a firmware update for it. Hang on, and I'll try to find a link.

http://gizmodo.com/5726148/gopro-sports-cameras-go-3d

This would be really cool and I have to say, if you get into ediitting like I am, having a second cam would be great for multi views too. 3/d would not be the primary use iof cam #2 but what a cool possibility!!.

Ignore this member   
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 11:11 AM        
Damn, Rook. I need your job! lol you're either single or rollin in it.
  Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted February 04, 2011 01:13 PM        
Another reason to go with the HD model is the battery. The standard go pro uses AAA's.......
The HD has a rechargable video camera style battery..........a pretty important feature I think.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 04, 2011 01:41 PM        Edited By: Rook on 4 Feb 2011 20:42
quote:
Damn, Rook. I need your job! lol you're either single or rollin in it.

Oh NO, I'm not. This is pretty rare for me. Have some stuff I've been thinking about purchasing for a while and it just seems like this is the time to do it. It's just stuff. God blesses and He takes away. Nothing permanent except my eternal sole which will be there no matter how much $$$ I have in the bank.

(I did go and order a GoPro BacPac a couple hours agp--LOL --it 's back ordered-extra 7-10 days- DOH!!)

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted February 04, 2011 02:33 PM        
i have only been to the track once since december, and made 7 or 8 videos. with the camera mounted to my hemlet and they are very clear and stable (considering my helmet moving)
search "eklipse636" on youtube.

Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 02:50 PM        
Eclipse.
I've looked at your videos. Good stuff!
From your post above you weren't filming in HD?
You can't knock the quality.
The point I was trying to make was that for motorsports, framerate is more important than pixels. If the framerate
is reduced for HD recording surely the non HD version is great value. Especially when you consider how people view the results. Not on a 60" plasma, but more often on a laptop
or i-phone.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: What\'s the best camera system for the 14 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.800207138062 seconds processing time