HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: exhaust how to NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
pghzx14

Novice Class
posted January 26, 2011 01:35 PM        
exhaust how to

Hi to all. I have a 08 zx14 and want to put on exhaust on my self is it hard to do? Just looking for slip ons not sure what kind yet. which ones are the easiest to do? Any special tools needed for the job? Thanks.

Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted January 26, 2011 01:48 PM        
Silp on exhaust is a cinch to install. You will only need a few wrenches and about 30 minutes if you have never done it before. No special tools.

If you looking for a big performance difference i recommend buying a full system & a powercommander. You can find a good one used if you look around.

Patrick

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
pghzx14

Novice Class
posted January 26, 2011 02:02 PM        
Well i like the duel exhaust look. Need no more power just want a deep strong sound. And do i need a powercommander with the slip ons?
  Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted January 26, 2011 02:14 PM        
No, You only need a Powercommander if you run a full system.

With Slip on's you will be fine with out a PC.

Patrick

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 26, 2011 03:04 PM        
Welcome to the forum pghzx14! If you've just bought your ninja and you're anything like us, you'll probably be longing for more power in the near future -- so it's up to you on dropping cash into slip-ons, but beware, you may end up kicking yourself for not going big the first time -- you can typically find nice used full systems and a pc for about the same money as a pair of "good" slip-ons.......but it's totally up to you man - good luck and enjoy the forum!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Hellmutt's homepage. 
pghzx14

Novice Class
posted January 26, 2011 03:41 PM        
Thanks guys! So what system would you recommend? Something thats mean and loud and agin easy to install? Also with no powercommander will it back fire or ran like crap?
  Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted January 26, 2011 03:48 PM        
No, it will not run like crap without the pciii on a full system install. It runs great still. However, kawasaki installed secondary throttle plates which neuter the zx14 from the factory. Installing a power commander allows you to tune the bike when you remove these flies. It gives you another 20+ lb feet of torque down low. Well worth it! There is a sweet deal on some new Leo Vince slip-ons I saw recently. Someone posted the link.... they were like $300 for Leo's, which is a great price for a great quality exhaust. However, the only reason you should get the slip-ons is because you like the dual look. A full system costs about the same, and you get way more power. For mean and loud, I like the Brocks Alien Head, or the Muzzy m14/m10. Those are shorty gp style exhausts. They are loud and raspy, but mean sounding. For a loud but deep sound, look at the Brocks smeg system. Those sound REALLY good. No raspyness at all, just deep and aggressive.
Welcome to the forum.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 26, 2011 03:56 PM        Edited By: Rook on 26 Jan 2011 23:58
^^^^+1 on that, mon frere. pgxzx14-----i road my bike for 11,000 miles on the stock exhaust. I guess it depends on how you look at it but I'd say that was either a big wist of riding experiences with a quiet, heavy exhaust that did not unleash the full potential of motor----------or it was a good long time to consider my many exhaust options..

Thought I wanted M-4 slipons. Still a great way to goIF you won't get a full system. M-4s have nice for sound if you like loud and weight loss and I think they look great too.

BUT get a full system. I'm so glad I did that! The bike feels so much stronger all across the powerband and the handling is improved dramatically as well.

I gradually started to develop a taste fot the look of a 4-2-1 because that has traditionally been the race system where duals are a street/touring system. Nice and balanced looking, yes but heavier and just not what Is normally thought of a s a race system by those who have learned a little bit about exhausts.

Look at any Brock's system or Akrapovic Evo. Brock's has CT duals or single. Spend what you need to. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying slips and then switching to a full system.

You will need to drain coolant, remove the radiator, remove muflers (1 clamp each) remove headers (2 nuts on each of 4). It will take some work. I spent a couple days when I did it. Nothing compared to all the maintenance you can learn to do yourself. Lot's of help is available hear if you have patients and can wait for responses.

Look for a really cheap set of used slipons if you need to just get something on there. Don't spend over $300...... switch over to a hot high performance system when you're ready.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted January 26, 2011 03:57 PM        
By the way, exhaust are quite easy to install if you are any good at turning a wrench. I remember the first time I did a full exhaust install, it took me about 5 hours from start to stop. Now I can do it in about 1.5 hours. The bike is easy to work on once you get the hang of it. It took me a long time to drop the motor recently, but if I had to do it again, I could do it in about half the time now that I know that I'm doing. That's how I am though. Slow and methodical, and I ask lots of questions. This forum is helpful. And if you get stuck, feel free to post up your questions. You might get flamed a little, but we'll always help you out.
  Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted January 26, 2011 04:07 PM        
welcome to the site, like everyone said unless u plan on never moding your 14 get you a full system. crags list and ebay always have some good deals you just have to keep looking. i bought a full muzzy M10 series exhaust a couple of month ago for $175 for a friend of mine pipe had couple dings and needed a new muzzy badge but was otherwise in great shape!!

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 26, 2011 04:10 PM        
JMHO---you have an '08-'11 (We're not allowed to say G2, lol) I don't believe there is a lot to be gained by pulling the flies but it will make an improvement over stock if you get the proper tune. The 06-07s benefitted a great deal from fly removal from what I am told. It's free so do it some day if it has not already been done. It certainly will do no harm to run flyless.

One more thing---------I have a very open, system with no packing at all, really. It pops like a mofo on decel and it even crackled between gears when I was hard on the gas. Any system you get is probably going to do this to some degree---even slipons. You block your PAIR or remove it and that reduces the pop a lot.......................but you might just get to like it hehehehehHHHHHHHE!!!

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted January 26, 2011 04:13 PM        
quote:
^^^^+1 on that, mon frere. pgxzx14-----i road my bike for 11,000 miles on the stock exhaust. I guess it depends on how you look at it but I'd say that was either a big wist of riding experiences with a quiet, heavy exhaust that did not unleash the full potential of motor----------or it was a good long time to consider my many exhaust options..

Thought I wanted M-4 slipons. Still a great way to goIF you won't get a full system. M-4s have nice for sound if you like loud and weight loss and I think they look great too.

BUT get a full system. I'm so glad I did that! The bike feels so much stronger all across the powerband and the handling is improved dramatically as well.

I gradually started to develop a taste fot the look of a 4-2-1 because that has traditionally been the race system where duals are a street/touring system. Nice and balanced looking, yes but heavier and just not what Is normally thought of a s a race system by those who have learned a little bit about exhausts.

Look at any Brock's system or Akrapovic Evo. Brock's has CT duals or single. Spend what you need to. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying slips and then switching to a full system.

You will need to drain coolant, remove the radiator, remove muflers (1 clamp each) remove headers (2 nuts on each of 4). It will take some work. I spent a couple days when I did it. Nothing compared to all the maintenance you can learn to do yourself. Lot's of help is available hear if you have patients and can wait for responses.

Look for a really cheap set of used slipons if you need to just get something on there. Don't spend over $300...... switch over to a hot high performance system when you're ready.

You definetly don't have to drain the coolant and drop the radiator to change the exhaust. In fact, the first time I changed my exhaust, I did it without even loosening up the radiator. The best way to put on a full exhaust is to....

Get the bike up. If you have them, use front and rear stands.
Pull off the plastics
Remove the 3 mounting points for the radiator (2 up top, one on bottom) This allows you to let the radiator drop out of the way and give you much more room.
Remove the old exhaust
Install new exhaust gaskets
Install new exhaust
Start and check for exhaust leaks
Bolt up radiator
Install plastics
Ride

Trust me, I've done this about 10 times now....

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted January 26, 2011 04:15 PM        
quote:
(We're not allowed to say G2, lol)

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 26, 2011 04:39 PM        
quote:
No, it will not run like crap without the pciii on a full system install. It runs great still. However, kawasaki installed secondary throttle plates which neuter the zx14 from the factory. Installing a power commander allows you to tune the bike when you remove these flies. It gives you another 20+ lb feet of torque down low. Well worth it! There is a sweet deal on some new Leo Vince slip-ons I saw recently. Someone posted the link.... they were like $300 for Leo's, which is a great price for a great quality exhaust. However, the only reason you should get the slip-ons is because you like the dual look. A full system costs about the same, and you get way more power. For mean and loud, I like the Brocks Alien Head, or the Muzzy m14/m10. Those are shorty gp style exhausts. They are loud and raspy, but mean sounding. For a loud but deep sound, look at the Brocks smeg system. Those sound REALLY good. No raspyness at all, just deep and aggressive.
Welcome to the forum.

He's got an '08, so his flies aren't hurting the power much - I still have the flies in my '08 - tried a TRE on it for a short bit but overall didn't get "much" of a gain, so I yanked the TRE to get my gear indicator back ( shows 6th gear all day ) and switched back to the streetmap. But Brock got 192hp at 114ftlb out of mine on his dyno with the TRE, SMeg, his trackmap, on GOOD fuel, and cant remember if he left the airfilter in or not......but these are "flies in" #'s.......so he should be fine leaving them in, for now anyway -- And I LOVE the tone and volume of my StreetMeg, just too bad my neighbors don't at 5am
If you want MEAN tone bro, get the StreetMeg!

geodouglas

Parking Attendant
posted January 27, 2011 03:30 AM        
Hey guys I got a silly question. I bought the yoshimura trc full system for my 07. I bought (stole) the 07 new, last march. Boutht a lot of toys to put on it. had some health issue wich put it all on hold. Last week I installed the system and pcIII. The company said they installed a map for the system with flies in, and stock air filter. What a sound. nice. But i was working in the garage and fired it up and let it warm up. I noticed the header glowing red. The temp was moving between one and two bars. I figured thin walled ss system, yeah its going to glow. rode it to work. Temp bar stayed in the 2 bar zone. Of course it was 10 to 20 F outside. Does anyone know if the system is supose to get that hot. After thinking about it, I am concerned. Do not want to damage the engine. But the system is nice and the power has picked up. THANKS for any and all advice
  Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 27, 2011 05:00 AM        
That is NOT normal -- sounds as though you've got a VERY lean condition to cause excess exhaust heat like that.........especially since your water temp never really climbed much.........I'm not sure honestly, if someone with REAL knowledge about this chime in and help this fella out, but I'm assuming that you've got a mapping issue and the bikes not getting enough fuel..........???

Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted January 27, 2011 05:15 AM        
I had a lawn mower I 'tuned up' that did that to the exhaust. Ran like the devil for about 50 seconds until it threw the rod out the back side of the case. Not that this will happen to you, it was a Crapsman lawn mower, but the moral of the story is when stuff glows hot somethings wrong and you should stop right away.
  Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted January 27, 2011 05:28 AM        
quote:
Hey guys I got a silly question. I bought the yoshimura trc full system for my 07. I bought (stole) the 07 new, last march. Boutht a lot of toys to put on it. had some health issue wich put it all on hold. Last week I installed the system and pcIII. The company said they installed a map for the system with flies in, and stock air filter. What a sound. nice. But i was working in the garage and fired it up and let it warm up. I noticed the header glowing red. The temp was moving between one and two bars. I figured thin walled ss system, yeah its going to glow. rode it to work. Temp bar stayed in the 2 bar zone. Of course it was 10 to 20 F outside. Does anyone know if the system is supose to get that hot. After thinking about it, I am concerned. Do not want to damage the engine. But the system is nice and the power has picked up. THANKS for any and all advice

Copy this post of yours and create another thread with an eye catching title to get more answers. You need some advice for that problem.

Ignore this member   
geodouglas

Parking Attendant
posted January 27, 2011 05:28 AM        
Thanks: think I will hook the computer to the pc this weekend and see what she reads. Maybe disconect the pcIII and see how she runs with out the pcIII unit in. thanks
  Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 27, 2011 05:46 AM        
The company that sent you the map may have screwed up and sent the wrong map?
Definitely start a new thread for this to get more help
Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Rook

Pro
posted January 27, 2011 07:05 AM        
I was told permanent metal discoloration from heat in head pipes is not unusual (blue). I have never seen my head pipes glow, however. I am pretty sure I could put my hand on them 30 minutes after shut down.
  Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 27, 2011 08:47 AM        
My SMeg has just a tint of blue and amber right at the flanges, but never have seen or felt the kind of heat he's explaining.........most exhausts will vary in color just a bit, a little brown or some blue but it occurs over time - not glow red-hot right after install.........I'm curious to see what the issue is

geodouglas

Parking Attendant
posted January 27, 2011 10:47 AM        
I will be hooking up my laptop to trouble shoot. I will post Monday the findings; thanks
  Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted January 27, 2011 11:14 AM        
My Yosh system full will glow red at the head if I rev it for a few minutes in the garage. It looks kind of scary but mine has been on for over year and half. I also just use the pc map for my setup. You have to figure revving it in neutral isn't real world use that is no load on it. I wouldn't be concerned I did however change my map to 100% high rpm to stock fuel.
  Ignore this member   
pghzx14

Novice Class
posted January 27, 2011 02:11 PM        
Thanks with all your help guys. I think I'm going with leo vince slip ons. Any one have these slip ons? Hows the sound and do you have a powercomannder? Nice price $300 at biohazard cycle. Cant pass it up.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: exhaust how to NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24188613891602 seconds processing time