HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Which motor combination to build? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
trganey

Expert Class
posted September 27, 2010 12:36 PM        
Which motor combination to build?

I'll be building a zx14motor over the winter and have yet to make up my mind what combination to use. Some say 5X3, some 4X2 etc etc. The motor will be used exclusively for drag racing but I want bullet proof liveability! With the chassis that I'm using a bone stock motor went 5.52 1/8 8.78 1/4 and it needs to be 5.0 1/8 and 8.0 1/4 on the hottest day of summer. I want to run all motor on EFI and not at all interested in running NOS or a Turbo. I will definately Auto the trans but given the choice would you Aute 123 or 1234? Let me know what combination ya'll think is best and why. All replies are appreciated.

TR

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted September 27, 2010 01:37 PM        
Wrongway has had very very good luck with his 1530 build , also Slowninja has had great luck with his 1570 motor on spray ..

Ignore this member   
kingtramp

Expert Class
posted September 27, 2010 04:42 PM        
quote:
Wrongway has had very very good luck with his 1530 build , also Slowninja has had great luck with his 1570 motor on spray ..

Are these engines with a (two ring piston ) or three ring piston?

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 27, 2010 04:46 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 27 Sep 2010 23:57
You are wanting to drop EIGHT TENTHS on motor? On the hottest day of summer?

To run the #'s you are talking, you will need 240+ hp on the motor, imo. That means, a 2x5 or 3x5 with a super cylinder head and cams, and bored out throttle bodies. You are talking huge money.

The rider must be heavy, because the 5.52 1/8th is awesome...but the 8.78 is slow in comparison.

Shane

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted September 27, 2010 04:58 PM        
quote:
quote:

Two rings.

Ignore this member   
kingtramp

Expert Class
posted September 27, 2010 05:36 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Two rings.

Thanks for reply, I am hoping to get 225 HP from a 4mil stroke with stock bore(2 piston ring JE pistons @ 13.2 compression, web cams, Jim's stage II head,47 mm TB's.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 27, 2010 06:05 PM        
quote:

Thanks for reply, I am hoping to get 225 HP from a 4mil stroke with stock bore(2 piston ring JE pistons @ 13.2 compression, web cams, Jim's stage II head,47 mm TB's.

Oversize valves?

Ignore this member   
kingtramp

Expert Class
posted September 27, 2010 07:13 PM        
quote:
quote:

Oversize valves?
Why you ask, bore would shroud oversize valve yes or no

Ignore this member   
Compton

Zone Head
posted September 27, 2010 07:18 PM        
8.0s on motor, 3x5 with a good head, modded for big cams, nice set of billet cams, ported throttle bodies, and a light weight arm like an adams at like 68-70", reworked shock, lighter wheels, and a good slider setup. should be do-able with a 170lb rider.

Ignore this member   
trganey

Expert Class
posted September 28, 2010 10:10 AM        
Maybe I should have given a little more information about the chassis and rider.

My rider weighs 135lbs

The chassis is a Koenig Low Boy 10" slick.

Clutch is a MTC Slider

Exhaust is Tsukigi Side Winder.

The performance numbers I quoted were from the race @ Indy a couple months ago using a bone stock motor on pump gas geared at 15-46.

According to folks that have been in the business a lot longer than me just modifying the transmission for the "Auto Shift" is worth 2 tenths over the 1/4 mile. Taking that into consideration it doesn't seem like a long stretch to be able to run 5.0's and 8.0's with a built motor and some good racing fuel. Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted September 28, 2010 10:49 AM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 28 Sep 2010 17:51
quote:
Maybe I should have given a little more information about the chassis and rider.

My rider weighs 135lbs

The chassis is a Koenig Low Boy 10" slick.

Clutch is a MTC Slider

Exhaust is Tsukigi Side Winder.

The performance numbers I quoted were from the race @ Indy a couple months ago using a bone stock motor on pump gas geared at 15-46.

According to folks that have been in the business a lot longer than me just modifying the transmission for the "Auto Shift" is worth 2 tenths over the 1/4 mile. Taking that into consideration it doesn't seem like a long stretch to be able to run 5.0's and 8.0's with a built motor and some good racing fuel. Your thoughts and advice appreciated!
I was thinking it was a chassis bike by your numbers ... If it were me i would go with a 5 by 2 (1530 ) Get in touch with Jim from CNC and get his stage two head and cams .. Get your stock TBs bored to 47s ... I'm still not sure that it will run 8.0s without spray ... We have a guy here that run a chassis bike with a built Busa motor on spray and i think his best is 5.20s to 5.30s .. His bike also has an 123 auto shift ... He is no lite weight 220 , 240 pounds so maybe a 135 rider can go 5.00s but i think you will still need a bit of spray .. I could be wrong ...

Ignore this member   
trganey

Expert Class
posted September 28, 2010 11:04 AM        
Thanks for your replies.
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted September 28, 2010 11:17 AM        
quote:
Thanks for your replies.
You are welcome .. And welcome to Bikeland ... A lot of us here are drag races and will be happy to help anyway we can.. We do have a few here that can bite , but as far as i know on one has ever died from it ..

Ignore this member   
trganey

Expert Class
posted October 05, 2010 03:34 AM        
TTT

Just to see if anyone else wants to voice their opinion on a particular combination.

Thanks to all that have already commented!

TR

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 05, 2010 04:39 AM        
quote:
You are wanting to drop EIGHT TENTHS on motor? On the hottest day of summer?

To run the #'s you are talking, you will need 240+ hp on the motor, imo. That means, a 2x5 or 3x5 with a super cylinder head and cams, and bored out throttle bodies.

+1

2x5 or 3x5

Talk to Cecil at HTP Performance. He just built the most powerfull n/a zx14 by far, for Shawn. The bike is a 2x5 making 265 hp with one of our head and cam packages on it.
It was at the mirock race this weekend and it made a pass at 170 mph all motor. They havent even got a clean pass from it yet due to traction problems off the line.
Were doing a similar head for Rickey Gadson right now and he will have it on the bike for the Rockingham race so you will get to see what kind of power these bikes can really make.

Call Cecil.

Heres a few pics...

This first shot is a MasterCam screen shot of one of the first early designs of the new billet 50mm throttle body assemblies and ports we offer for the BIG zx14 engines. The injector location and angle has been modified as is the blade location and overall tract taper and length.

This shot is a later development version that is closer to the first prototype set we made and ran at Loring Maine this year when Rickey was riding the bike.

Here is a shot of the actual prototype set of 50mm throttle bodies on a prototype big valve big port head.

Here's a shot looking down threw the throttle bodies into the ports. Yes this head flows a LOT of air yet has extremely high velocity for the given cross sectional area with localized velocities exceeding 400 FPS @ 28", and is only for big motors. This port configuration has made over 265 HP on a 2 mil bore.

Here is a shot of the chamber with its massive valves. This head requires large bronze seats, and bronze guides to locate the large custom valves. This isnt your grandmothers zx14 head.

Here you can see the large 28.5mm and 28mm bucket bores and also the machining needed to allow the big (BIG) cams to swing in there without hitting the head. The cam caps are also machined out for added clearance.

I don't have any shots of the smaller 47mm throttle bodies right now. I'll try and get some up one of these days.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 05, 2010 04:56 AM        
Trganey, are you going grudge racing?

I was at the MIROCK race this weekend and it was a blast. It was the first time I've been to one.

The "afterdark underground" grudge racing from 11 pm to 1 am was great. I cant believe all the bets on each race going on. These guys are racing for HUGE money.

Anyone into dragracing would love this stuff.

NINJA12

Needs a job
posted October 05, 2010 09:02 AM        
Jim, It's not real money, those are poker chips.

Ignore this member   
trganey

Expert Class
posted October 05, 2010 09:54 AM        
quote:
Trganey, are you going grudge racing?

I was at the MIROCK race this weekend and it was a blast. It was the first time I've been to one.

The "afterdark underground" grudge racing from 11 pm to 1 am was great. I cant believe all the bets on each race going on. These guys are racing for HUGE money.

Anyone into dragracing would love this stuff.

We don't plan to grudge race, we are just planning to run Top Gas and occasionally SC or

PET. My thoughts were to build a motor capable of running quicker than the ET needed for

TG then throttle stop it to the number. Hopefully not running the motor right to the ragged

edge would allow it to live a little longer. While grudge racing would be exciting, I don't

have the unlimited funds necessary to run the numbers, pay for the repairs, and place the

bets! For now we'd just be happy to consistantly run TG numbers while getting the

necessary seat time to be competitive. Above all, what ever we do we are gonna have a

good time doin it!

TR

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted October 06, 2010 11:54 AM        
quote:
Above all, what ever we do we are gonna have a

good time doin it!

TR

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 06, 2010 01:30 PM        
quote:
Jim, It's not real money, those are poker chips.

I dunno, I saw dead presidents.

trganey

Expert Class
posted November 16, 2010 10:39 AM        
UPDATE!

We are happy to report that we attended the Manufactures Cup at Valdosta and were able to compete in the TG class. On our second pass we recorded an 8.13 skating all over the track. While we didn't need to go any quicker we did improve on the 60' to a 1.15 later in the event. Not to bad for an all motor push button start bike with a very young and inexperienced rider. We qualified 15 out of 46 bikes and went out in the third round. Great weekend, great race, great weather, great track, and good friends. What more could one ask for! Hopefully I'll get to post up a vid or pic later.

TR

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted November 16, 2010 10:42 AM        
What motor combination??
  Ignore this member   
trganey

Expert Class
posted November 16, 2010 12:14 PM        
A simple 2X4 w/ stock cams, valves, factory ecu, factory injectors and throttle bodies etc.

When next summer rolls around we may need to squeez out a few more ponies to be on

the number but this weekend we had good air and all was good.

TR

Ignore this member   
06redzx14

Pro
posted November 16, 2010 12:23 PM        
where did you find the offset 2 mil pistons?

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted November 16, 2010 01:07 PM        
Why only 13.2:1 compression. I would crank it it's going to be a drag only bike.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Which motor combination to build? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.716562986374 seconds processing time