HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: THROTTLE BODYS NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
TEC1

Parking Attendant
posted September 17, 2010 12:55 PM        
THROTTLE BODYS

I HAVE 6K MILES AND WANT TO CK IF ANY OF THE GREAT TECHS ON THIS SITE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE CLEANING THROTTLE BODYS ON THERE ZX14S. I KNOW THE CARS I SERVICE DUE BUILD UP DEPOSITS QUITE FREQUENTLY - AND THOUGHT A SIMILAR SERVICE MIGHT IMPROVE THE IDLE ON MY 14- I WAS PLANNING TO DUT IT WITH THE PLUGS OUT JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE-ITS A GREAT BIKE -THANKS

Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted September 17, 2010 01:32 PM        
Never cleaned mine yet I would think with fuel injection downstream of throttle bodies there wouldn't be any deposits to clean. Got idle speed at 1200 or so? Try to have some competent person sync the throttle bodies for a smoother idle. Also these bikes don't idle well until fully warmed up as in go for a ride then check it not just idling in the driveway after start up. Set idle speed then too.
  Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted September 17, 2010 01:33 PM        
What's with the Zuk avatar?
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted September 17, 2010 01:58 PM        
i cleaned my TB's and gain 15hp and 0.20 and 4 mph in the 1/4 mile . i use a special cleaner not for road use ..

Ignore this member   
RACNRAY

Expert Class
FAST OLD GUY
posted September 17, 2010 02:28 PM        Edited By: RACNRAY on 17 Sep 2010 21:29
I first found out about dirty throttle bodies on my 1995 Dodge Ram. It developed a hissing noise at idle/part throttle. I removed the intake system and peered into the throttle bores. There was a huge accumulation of black deposits around the bores where the butterflies are positioned at idle. I cleaned and scrubbed the bores and blades and that not only eliminated the hissing, but the engine ran smoother and had better off-idle throttle response. That experience carried over to my 2002 Ram.

When FI skoots became common place i started checking throttle bore cleanliness whenever we had airboxes off or throttle bodies off for valve clearance checks. I have seen the same deposits Ifound on those Rams on some skoots.The deposits are from the crankcase vent systems allowing some oil vapors into the intake tract which end up acumulating on the bores and blades. FI cleaners do not work in the area of the blades as they are upstream from the injectors and the fuel spray. I don't see much deposits on skoots (like CBR'S) that have secondary injectors that spray into the velocity stack, that fuel spraying down into the bores can help wash those deposits away.

One case i remember we were sincronizing a Busa that ended up having an idle quality that i was not happy about, and the mercury in my balancer just would not hold stable,constant fluctuation in the individual tubes. We peered down into the throttle bores and saw lots of deposits. We then thoroughly cleaned the bores and blades. Rechecking the sinc we saw how off the mercury now was between the cylinders, requiring re-sincronizing. Once that was accomplished we had our nice idle quality and stable mercury levels.

I have seen some skoots needing the bores and blades cleaned in as little as 8000 miles, and have seen some spotlessly clean with 20,000+ miles. I believe the effectiveness of the oil seperator in the vent system and the volatility of some oils are factors in how clean the bores and blades stay.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RACNRAY

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted September 17, 2010 04:33 PM        
Sounds like a good reason to unhook the crankcase vent hose that goes to the airbox, plug the airbox hole, and put a small cone filter on the hose.
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted September 17, 2010 08:01 PM        
Good read

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted September 17, 2010 08:06 PM        
quote:
I HAVE 6K MILES AND WANT TO CK IF ANY OF THE GREAT TECHS ON THIS SITE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE CLEANING THROTTLE BODYS ON THERE ZX14S. I KNOW THE CARS I SERVICE DUE BUILD UP DEPOSITS QUITE FREQUENTLY - AND THOUGHT A SIMILAR SERVICE MIGHT IMPROVE THE IDLE ON MY 14- I WAS PLANNING TO DUT IT WITH THE PLUGS OUT JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE-ITS A GREAT BIKE -THANKS

Dude quit yelling youre not my ex-wife

Ignore this member   
zxbob

posted September 18, 2010 09:58 AM        
quote:
Good read

You can read ?

Bob

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: THROTTLE BODYS NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.644230127335 seconds processing time