HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: CLUNKS GOING IN FIRST GEAR NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
LAB3

Needs a job
posted May 31, 2010 11:10 AM        
quote:
welcome zedex! nice one there! careful on those BTO14 tires! Bad, when your tired of the harmless startup rattle, read back a few pages for the fix. Mine is quiet as a moped now, hasnt done it since. $8 too

That was a good idea.

Ignore this member   
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted June 02, 2010 11:01 AM        
Ive learned to live with that clunk. Mine clunks so hard into 1st it jerks the bike like you got rear ended. If i hold the clutch in for like 10-15 seconds its alot quieter/softer but that isn't something i wanna sit and do each time i have to go into first. This is the first bike ive had that 1st gear engagement was so harsh, none of the other 3 bikes were anything like this.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted June 02, 2010 12:59 PM        
quote:
Hey guys Im new to forum posting usually just read em. When I saw Tec1's question I figured I'd throw in a question of my own. Just traded up to a 2010 zx14 and lovin it! I get the kawi clunk into 1rst but why is it clunking so hard when shifting into 2nd and 3rd when I use the clutch? If i speed shift it shifts smooth as silk ... and is speed shifting through 2nd and 3rd this way gonna do any damage? Hard shifts with the clutch and smooth without .. i dont get it Lol ... any ideas?

btw the reflectors are gone now Lol including the one on the back. cant afford pipes or bling till next season so just enjoyin it 'as is' for this year

It could be that you're taking too long to shift, aka, shifting too slowly. If you shift quickly without letting the revs drop, it won't clunk. If you are cruising in 3rd gear at 70mph and pull the clutch in for 2 seconds before shifting it will clunk. Try the same thing but shift quickly, and no clunk.

Ignore this member   
07zx14blk

Expert Class
ZX6R, ZX9R,ZX12R,ZX14
posted June 03, 2010 06:45 AM        
+2 on taking too long to shift... If you shift faster no issue into 2 or 3. Also avoids droping into N (horible racket to get it out at speed).

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted June 03, 2010 07:19 AM        
I have noticed that with 16/43 gearing and my clutch level on #6 adjustment it

shifts to 2nd and 3rd smoother. I guess this gearing is spinning the larger trans gears faster and it shifts smoother. The smaller the cc engine the smaller the trans gears are.

No worries several members here have 50,000 plus miles with NO trans problems. When coming to a stop I am in 1st before I stop.clutch in.so I don't here/feel the trans. My FJ1200 does this too, owned it 20 years and 52,000 really hard miles and no trans problems. My 1983 CB1100F did the same thing N to 1st. Bigger engines with bigger trans gears....live with it :-) I have tried almost every brand of oil over the years and there is NO oil that will cure this. I have Amsoil 10W40 in now, had Mobil 1 4T same thing.

Ignore this member   
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted June 03, 2010 08:26 AM        
quote:
When coming to a stop I am in 1st before I stop.clutch in.so I don't here/feel the trans.

It doesn't matter if you do that when you're moving or when you're stopped, what were talking about is going into first from neutral. That clunk only happens when you go from N to 1st and not when you are going into one gear from another. If someone is getting clunk going from one gear to another they either got bad shifting skills or poor rev matching techniques.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted June 03, 2010 08:58 AM        
quote:
quote:
When coming to a stop I am in 1st before I stop.clutch in.so I don't here/feel the trans.

It doesn't matter if you do that when you're moving or when you're stopped, what were talking about is going into first from neutral. That clunk only happens when you go from N to 1st and not when you are going into one gear from another. If someone is getting clunk going from one gear to another they either got bad shifting skills or poor rev matching techniques.

I Know,,,,,,, others had posted about other gears too. I was just sayin that when I come to a stop sign or red light I am in 1st before I stop with clutch in so I Don't have to drop into 1st from N.

I agree on poor shifting habits with stock sprockets and different gearing seemed to help.

Ignore this member   
WarriorOnTheEdge

Parking Attendant
posted March 14, 2013 02:44 PM        
Every K that I have ever owned has clunked going into first gear. I have heard it liked to the noise made when breach loading an 88mm cannon - not that I have heard one of those! So when I first got the ZX-14R it was no surprise that the neutral to first shift when stopped was massive.

What I have struggled with to some extent is the shift from 1st > 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. When moving slowly it seems easy to get a clunk when upshifting through the lower gears which is sometimes very loud. The noise comes from a miss-match in speed of the input shaft and output drive shafts for the gear that you are going into. To solve this I hark back to basic upshift practice and give the throttle a very quick back blip being careful to shift up at the same time. I find that this cures the upshift cluck every time - if I get it right!

When you think about it, you have this massive, powerful engine - that just wants to go - turning at a certain rate when you pull the clutch to upshift. If you don't back off, the engine speed is likely to stay the same or even increase depending on how you are holding the throttle. When shifting to a higher cog at any given speed the revs will need to drop.

So there it is - a quick rollback on the throttle for a smooth upshift. it makes perfect sense - but it never seemed as critical as it does when sitting over a 1.4 L powerhouse!

Z1R-II*
Z1R**
*Sold **Borrowed by persons unknown and not yet returned!

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 15, 2013 05:50 PM        
Hey guys 1 thing that helps is to blip the throttle then roll forward with your feet and or sometimes just rolling forward with your feet then a firm push down on the shifter.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
dragontailjunkie

Parking Attendant
posted May 09, 2014 05:57 AM        
Set my clutch adj on 1 and clunk went away on my 2012 ZX14
  Ignore this member   
alligatorz

Parking Attendant
none
posted April 22, 2015 09:41 AM        
If you've come to a stop and get ready to go then you put it in gear your not being safe. You should ALWAYS be in gear at a stop light just in case. You can always avoid the VERY STANDARD clunk of this bike by doing so. Everyone's zx14r does this.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit alligatorz's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted April 22, 2015 07:22 PM        
I'm always in neutral at a light.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: CLUNKS GOING IN FIRST GEAR NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21540403366089 seconds processing time