HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ZX14 Comfort Modifications NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
jrp0629

Novice Class
posted April 15, 2010 12:00 PM        
ZX14 Comfort Modifications

I'm looking to do a few things to make my 07 ZX14 a little more comfortable for long distance riding. Anyone have any suggestions such as seat, handle bar risers, ect... ? I have heard of double stacking bar risers, is that possible?

Ignore this member   
bluechris

Expert Class
hungry fool
posted April 15, 2010 12:18 PM        
Gen mar from twistedthrottle.com are good risers

Ignore this member    Click here to visit bluechris's homepage. 
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted April 15, 2010 01:33 PM        
Do like Steve, trade it in for a Concours14. Problem solved!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted April 15, 2010 01:39 PM        
LSL bar kit, Sgt seat or Concours 14 seat, Givi hard bags...lowered footpegs, drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket, taller windscreen. Done. Uber sport tourer with monster power. Just make sure you plan money for rear tires being eaten.
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted April 15, 2010 04:38 PM        
I have some used 4 inch riser convertibars for sale if interested with brake line kit. Check the classifieds here...

Ignore this member   
makenna

Expert Class
posted April 15, 2010 07:36 PM        Edited By: makenna on 16 Apr 2010 09:36
The Sargent seat is a must have. You should also look for a set of throttlemeister bar ends, a throttle rocker and a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen.
Throttlemeister - motorcyclelarry.com
Bar Risers - motorcyclelarry.com
Windscreen - motorcycle-superstore.com
You can pick up the throttle rocker at just about any motorcycle shop

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 15, 2010 09:32 PM        Edited By: LAB3 on 16 Apr 2010 11:35
I have the Spiegler LSL bar kit, a Connie 14 seat , ZG Sport Tourinf shield and Buell pegs for out of state rides.

[img] http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4326890824_25c76ca59a_b.jpg {/img}

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 15, 2010 09:33 PM        

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 15, 2010 09:40 PM        

When I get back home :-)

Ignore this member   
Acat

Novice Class
posted April 15, 2010 10:20 PM        
How do you like that ZG sport touring screen? I have a Puig DB and I doesn't do that much. Sharp bikes.
  Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 15, 2010 10:44 PM        
Thanks same bike :-) The ZG needs to be a bit taller as I am 6'3" so air blast

hit my helmet, but is better than a stock or DB smoked I use for street. second pic. Takes about 30 minutes to change over from street set up to touring.

Wish I could afford a new Connie 14.

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted April 15, 2010 11:41 PM        
Buell pegs help more then you think they would! with those and the bars up the 14 is a distance bike.
  Ignore this member   
makenna

Expert Class
posted April 16, 2010 02:09 AM        
You can no buy offset foot pegs manufactured specificly for our bikes from MFW. They have a variety of offsets too. You just have to deide how big of an offset you want.

You can murchase then through Twisted Throttle - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4695/703/

Below is the link to the MFW site which shows what the difference is between a Master grip & Race footpeg.
Master Grip - http://www.mfw-wolf.de/en/products/motorcycle-footrests/footrests-master-grip

Race - http://www.mfw-wolf.de/en/products/motorcycle-footrests/race-footrests

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 16, 2010 02:53 AM        
A corbin seat with a backrest makes trips possible for 2 people

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted April 16, 2010 04:22 AM        
quote:

Steve didn't trade in a ZX14, he paid cash!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted April 16, 2010 05:26 AM        
Zero gravity wind screen , Heli bar risers , seat , cruz control , have made a big difference when I travel. HID's are also nice for long night riding on the eyes.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 16, 2010 07:07 AM        
quote:

Lee
Did the Corbin seat take a while to "Break" in?? Had one years ago on FJ1200 and was

way too firm. But after a 1000 miles it softened up. Sargent seat for 14 looks good but looks and function are two very diffent seats when you ride a 500 mile day. Hate to spend so

much $$ for a seat and then not like it. Wife does not ride on bike anymore (14) will only ride old FJ she sets upstraight and I am so tall I block all the wind for her :-)

Louis

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted April 16, 2010 08:01 AM        
quote:
quote:

Steve didn't trade in a ZX14, he paid cash!

My bad!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted April 16, 2010 09:35 AM        
quote:

Ohh those soft bags look nice, what model Cortec is that? I been wanting some soft bags for the occasional jaunts to Vegas.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 16, 2010 10:13 AM        
SLVR-BLT will Pm you. have to dig them out of closet and look. Saw them at local shop and just purchased them. In a hurry was going to Ozark mountain in Arkansas from Texas.
Going again in two weeks, Russellville Arkansas is a good starting place lots of turns big fun. They do expand with a second zipper that extends the width of them and they have rain covers. Thanks

Louis

Ignore this member   
makenna

Expert Class
posted April 16, 2010 10:28 AM        
quote:
Lee
Did the Corbin seat take a while to "Break" in?? Had one years ago on FJ1200 and was

way too firm. But after a 1000 miles it softened up. Sargent seat for 14 looks good but looks and function are two very diffent seats when you ride a 500 mile day. Hate to spend so

much $$ for a seat and then not like it. Wife does not ride on bike anymore (14) will only ride old FJ she sets upstraight and I am so tall I block all the wind for her :-)

Louis

I have the Sargent and I've owned a Corbin as well, there's no comparison as the Sargent is a far superior seat. It's really comfortable and the foam they use immediately moulds to your ass.
The Sargent is more like a saddle than a seat and it is wider towards the back, I won't own any other seat now.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 16, 2010 10:43 AM        
Makenna
They make several styles. I do not ride 2 up and want to keep rear cowl when not on open road with soft bags on. Which seat do you have?
Louis

Ignore this member   
makenna

Expert Class
posted April 16, 2010 11:34 AM        
I have the regular height modular seat with no heat.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.415638/sc.2/category.11697/.f

I too don't take passengers on my bike and the rear cowl fits perfectly. I just ordered the rear pod for more storage.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.415638/sc.2/category.14074/.f

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 16, 2010 01:04 PM        
quote:
quote:

Lee

Louis

Yes the corbin needed to be broken in cause when it was new it was way to firm. I almost didn't like it. But after a few thousand miles it fits like a glove.
I even had to mod the passenger seat cause the wife complained of it being too flat. Now it's a bucket

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
cbx1260cc

Novice Class
posted April 17, 2010 10:54 AM        
First post here for me after purchasing a 2009 Green model last weekend. Member "wheelie" directed me to the site a few months ago when I began my search for the "right" bike and now that I've made the purchase I'm here to tap the experience of the members by asking a few questions on two up comfort.

My better half and I ride together almost exclusively and I bought the ZX realizing the Concours probably would have been a better choice for two up but we didn't like the style, price, performance. We chose of the ZX and decided to do what we could to make it a bit more comfy. I'd appreciate it if the members could offer their help with answers to a few questions.

Sargent seems to make the better aftermarket seat but it seems they do Not offer a passenger backrest model. Corbin does offer such a seat but quality of materials and comfort doesn't seem near that of the Sargent. Having said that has anyone bought a used Corbin back rest--say off E-Bay--and a Sargent seat then modified it to accept the Corbin backrest to have the best of both worlds? Yes I realize this would involve making a hole in the rear of the Sargent seat to accept the Corbin backrest but see no other options. Suggestions?

Now that Buell is out of business parts will no doubt become harder to find so XBR footpegs to lower riders pegs will also become harder to find. I've looked at the set up from MWF:
http://www.mfw-wolf.de/en/products/motorcycle-footrests/footrests-master-grip
but these do away with the stock rubber covered pegs. I'd like to have rubber covered pegs similar to stock pieces and drop pegs about 1 inch or so. What are my other options?

Would also like to raise stock bars about 1 inch. Are Genmar/Heli risers the best choice? Is one brand a better quality than the other? I'd imagine anything higher (convertibars, spiegler LSL kit) will necessitate complications with cable length/routing. Are there any other options?

Thanks to any/all for suggestions.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ZX14 Comfort Modifications NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.40396404266357 seconds processing time