HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Shanes knowledge. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Shanes knowledge.
14man

Parking Attendant
posted September 01, 2009 10:19 PM        
Shanes knowledge.

Way cool thread man.Im new on this site as of today but have been looking at your 14 for awhile.Im from north ca and i have a six month old 09 14 bone stock.I dont drag race but i do a lot of twisty on the coast. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about my bike.I would like to make a few mods but nothing to radical to help the bottom end to mid range, what do you suggest? will The removal of the flys on an 09 help? what about another filter like a KNN? and what about the pc, would that help on the street? if so there are so many to choose from what would you suggest?More top end is always good too.And slipons is there any real benefit? I like quit because i ride for at least a hundred miles at a time but a little noice is cool.Thanks for reading and i would appreciate your thoughts on the matter?

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 02, 2009 03:47 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 2 Sep 2009 10:53
Welcome to site!

I have an 07, so removing the flies was really a requirement. I have heard that it is an improvement on the later bikes, but not absolutely required. I'm sure a few 08-09 owners can chime in on that.

Exhaust-wise, if you are sensitive to noise, you probably want to avoid the megaphone type systems. They have a pretty healthy tone. There are a few really good pipes out there. Most people on this board have either Brock's or Muzzy. I have had both, and they are both very good exhausts. I guess the first thing to do is look at your budget, and go from there. Slip-ons can provide some small power gains while maintaining the riding manners of the stock machine. They are lighter and usually require no tuning. You will also get the benefit of the improved looks and sound. Area P, Brock's, Muzzy, Yosh...just to name a few...all make quality slip-on systems. A free-flowing air filter such as a BMC or K&N is a common and worthwhile mod. If you get a full exhaust, a power commander is really recommended.

If I had a primarily street bike, to be operated in the lower rpm ranges, I would get some nice slip-ons, and a BMC street air filter, and call it a day. No Power Commander required, no fly removal, and no hassles. That's just me. It's hard to beat the stock header setup for reliability and fitment, and a smooth refined feel. You will save a lot of time and money going this route.

That's just my .02, and you may find that your needs are different. There are also plenty of other valuable opinions to be had around here as well. Hope this helps!

Shane

PS. Glad you like my thread. You can see photo's of the Muzzy and Brock's pipes installed there, and even a couple of Area P mufflers.

Ignore this member   
14man

Parking Attendant
posted September 02, 2009 07:28 AM        
Thanks much for the reply this helps and keeps it simple.If i could bother you for onther thought on the slip ons? I was looking at the R77 yoshis but i read somewhere on this site that they drag before the full lean angle and im wondering if that was true? What carbon slip ons would you recomend for long rides? Some are just way to loud.Thanks again for your time cool stuff.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 02, 2009 07:59 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 2 Sep 2009 15:30
I would suggest posting a separate thread inquiring about slip-ons. You'll probably get a lot of varied feedback. As you might know, my bike uses a full system and I don't ride the twisties with it.

Coincidentally, you are apparently from the same part of CA as board member KTB. He was also inquiring about the Yosh pipes a few days back. Odd coincidence, huh?

Shane

PS. "Cool Stuff"....Funny!

Ignore this member   
14man

Parking Attendant
posted September 02, 2009 12:10 PM        
Ok thanks.I was more interested in the flys then the pipes but will ask around. Not sure about the ktb i just got on last night. Im from martinez ca and i know there alot of 14s as well as busas in this area for a small town. thanks for the time.
  Ignore this member   
14man

Parking Attendant
posted September 02, 2009 03:13 PM        
Shane if i could i would like to bother you for one more queston?The guys here are saying its not a good idea to remove the flys without a pc? What do you think and whats your advice on a pc for the street? Thanks
  Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted September 02, 2009 03:25 PM        Edited By: Wheelie on 2 Sep 2009 22:26
Shane the Brain!

wee

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 02, 2009 03:56 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 2 Sep 2009 22:57
quote:
Shane if i could i would like to bother you for one more queston?The guys here are saying its not a good idea to remove the flys without a pc? What do you think and whats your advice on a pc for the street? Thanks

If you remove the flys you will need to remap, which requires a Power Commander or similar. The reason is that you are feeding more air to the engine, and that can cause it to run lean if you don't remap it. The ZX-14 Injection setup is not "smart" like a car system, and it can't adjust automatically for the changes made.

A Power Commander works fine on the street, if it has a good map installed.

Shane

Ignore this member   
ktb

Parking Attendant
posted September 02, 2009 07:55 PM        
Thanks again for the time and the help.Knn and some slip ons and im Good.
  Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted September 03, 2009 12:03 AM        
If I may chime in I have to say I kept the stock exhaust for over two years thinking I was happy with the bikes performance and wanted primarily a quiet bike. During that time I thought a lot about the different kinds of exhaust possibilities. I figured that the stock head pipe was the best for low end and mid performance and was okay with the top end. Was kind of put off with the heat of the cats though. Looked at a ton of dyno charts on the internet from various sources to try to evaluate the best results. I also read a lot of reports by people on the forums. I really over-thought the whole thing. One thing that nagged me was that the two pipes also got in the way of the chain adjustment. Of course everyone raved about their choice of pipe or slip on so who do you believe. The dyno charts showed loss in low rpm power and I didn't want that or too much noise. On the other hand slip ons showed almost no power gains and that sounded like a bad deal why spend all that money for almost no gain in power.
Then there is the weight loss from a full system to consider. Myself I don't care if my system weighs 9 lbs or 13 lbs 4 lbs isn't a deal breaker for me it has to be the whole package. Overall any full system will lose considerable weight like about 30 lbs from stock.
Well after two years of this f- it find a good deal on a full system because that that's what I really want anyway because the longer you own this bike the weak top end that doesn't match the incredible torque doesn't make sense. Bought the Yosh R77 full system on ebay for about 680 bucks. Well more power everywhere. I was suprised no loss of low end like the dyno charts show because thats at full throttle and as you know you can't use full throttle in first without a big wheelie.
The power on the top end compared to stock pipes is very satisfying just revs hard all the way to redline and beyond. Now some will argue which pipe is best but for me I like it just fine. The less weight was noticeable in the handling department heard that from others but didn't believe until I tried it. This pipe is quiet enough to ride all day for me as I like the twisties and a mix of straight line accel. Did I say smooth because with the full system it revs smoother all the way through the power band not so stepped feeling like stock. Well enough of my story bottom line these bikes like a full system put one on don't f- around with anything else.

Ignore this member   
extrapilot

Expert Class
2008 ZX14
posted September 03, 2009 03:42 AM        
kaw now
Did you get a PC also?

Ignore this member   
masszx14

Pro
A mind beside itself!
posted September 03, 2009 07:41 AM        
quote:
Shane the Brain!

wee

Ignore this member   
kaw now

Expert Class
posted September 03, 2009 11:16 PM        
Extrapilot yes I do have a PC I have a 06 and removed the flies a couple years ago bought one then.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 04, 2009 03:24 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 4 Sep 2009 10:26
quote:
Thanks again for the time and the help.Knn and some slip ons and im Good.

I guess it was KTB after all....or not?? Mysteries of the internet!

Ignore this member   
bruno nadeau

Expert Class
posted September 04, 2009 04:02 AM        
i have a 09 with r 77 full carbon flys out kn air filter and a motty afr tuner.for the street i think the yosh is a goud pipe with the baffle that come with the muffler it is almost as quiet as stock.take a look at the motty it work very well on my 06 and now on my 09.

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Shanes knowledge. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.230505943298 seconds processing time