HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Crashed ZX, parts list NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 08:36 AM        Edited By: AlexTheUkrainian on 8 Aug 2009 16:44
Crashed ZX, parts list

Hi everyone,

I joined this community just recently and unfortunately have already crashed my bike... they say stupid creeps up on everyone from time to time, but that doesn't help my nagging guilty-shameful feeling about crashing a brand-new bike within 3 weeks of possession. Bike was in garage for 3 weeks after that as I recovered, but recently I started taking it apart and compiled the list of parts I need to replace. It seems I got off very lucky, considering.

I'm sure those who haven't heard about my crash yet would like to know a brief summary so here it is. I went on a Sat morning ride on a nice curvy mountain road I've never been on before. I fell behind others, and entered one of the turns only to be surprised by an immediate second sharp 120+-degree turn in the opposite direction, something I couldn't see before going into the first turn due to trees blocking view. I knew I'm f*-ed so just hit the brakes, rear slid despite release/reapplication, but bike slowed to about 20-25mph, I low-sided on left side, fell "off the mountain". I went between two trees myself, but bike hit a tree, turned upside down, hit some rocks, etc. I only strongly hit a tree with left kneecap. Miraculously, my Knox armor knee pads absorbed most of that and it seems I got away with just several contusions and stretched ligaments and few months-long break from sports. Very lucky, for according to police many had died at the very spot, including a Harley couple just a week before me; I think I'm first to survive crash there. So yay for miracles and yay for wearing full gear with knee pads (and nice folks who pulled my bike out of the ditch and back onto the road)! Here's a pic of crashed bike:

Well my baby is hurt, but frame seems to be in fine condition, so I just need to replace broken parts. If you would like to help me by having any parts for sale or knowing specific places to get cheap ones, etc. please reply. I will be updating the list as I get the replies with fresh info. Italics next to a part name will mean it's an idea/offer to sell. Bold will mean I've made my mind on getting in the way/from the person described.

Thank you very much and sorry for being a guy who makes insurance for these bikes more expensive (btw, I had no collision so paying for everything out of pocket).

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 08:36 AM        Edited By: AlexTheUkrainian on 8 Aug 2009 17:05
PARTS LIST (08 SE):

Note - exhaust: I don't want stock, but instead looking to put on after-market pipes or maybe even full system if someone has a cheap one. I'm fine with staying either double-piped or going 4-2-1. If I stay double-piped and no one offers full system for 08, I'll buy 07 header from masszx14 and will then need 06-07 aftermarket slip-ons. M4s would be perfect as far as performance/sound goes.

PLASTICS
Front head plastic assembly (that headlights go into, the whole thing, but only the plastic broke, all components survived)
Ram air plastic (textured piece that covers wires), right
Ram air plastic (textured piece that covers wires), left
Front mid fairing (the grills), right
Front mid fairing (the grills), left
Lower underbelly fairing, right
Lower underbelly fairing, left
Little plastic piece above tail light with "Ninja" on it
Rear side fairing, right
Fairing, right (big piece with turn signal)
Plastic cover that wraps the tank in front of it
Seat cowl

HEAD
Bar end, left
Bar end, right
Mirrors, Both
Throttle rubber thing that you twist lol
Front brake lever
Brake fluid hose, both sides, small 2-inch rubber tubes that go between brake fluid reservoirs and the handlebars
Right handlebar?? (it's wobbling up and down)
Speedometer gauge's transparent plastic

BODY
Taillight
Wheel, rear
Foot peg, left
Foot peg holder, left (black, 2 big bolts, but not the aluminum "wing")
Pulser cover (#14091) and ring-o for it (#92055)
The sprocket inside the pulser cover, it's missing 8 or 9 teeth not sure… found 8 so far.
Both mufflers (considering replacing with 4-to-1 exhaust if avail)
Exhaust/passenger footpeg holder, right
Gear shifter lever, left
Gas tank

MISC PARTS
Bigger bolt that ties muffler slip-on directly to the frame on the right side
2 x Rubber thingy into which a 5mm bolt goes
2 x plastic rivets (for underside of both sides of rear fairing)

Optional / desired mods
ZX-10 front tire hugger kit (for better air flow to radiator)
Lighter Wheel(s) (looking for a good value, 2.5k on CF not realistic for me)
New tires - Pirelli Stradas or BT 016s
Lighter/better rotors

Pulser cover and inside "sprocket":

The cover got a hole in it, size of a small girl's fist, I think bike fell on a rock there.

Inside there's this sprocket thing and a chain... Does anyone know how many teeth it's supposed to have? I found 8 so far, but I think it's missing 9... if a tooth fell into the engine there, it's a pretty big deal right? Should I unbolt the large flat rectangular underbelly cover under the engine block to see if last tooth is there (if there is a last tooth in the first place)? Here are the pics:

Ignore this member   
dogg24

Expert Class
posted August 08, 2009 08:46 AM        
Send me an email at dogg24@ aol.com. I might be able to help you out.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 08, 2009 09:01 AM        Edited By: dubious on 8 Aug 2009 17:04
Check and inspect the end of the crankshaft carefully.
The pulser rotor is bolted dierctly to the end of the crank.
If it is the sproket behind the rotor, that drives the cam chain.
If that is damaged, you have bigger problems to inspect.
Is the cam chain still on the crank sproket?

Hopefully the crank is not bent or damaged, as frequently occurs in these incidents.
If it is bent, I would guess the project may be over due to expense.

Additionally, since the pulser cover is damaged, what kind of debris and broken parts has made its way into the engine?

Is it insured?
Insurance would likely write that off, due to cost of parts and labour.

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 09:11 AM        
Updated with pics, dubious. Chain is still attached from what I can tell, it seems there's no damage inside beside the teeth missing. There was no debris there really beside teeth themselves, 8 of which got caught by the magnet. Seems I'm missing another tooth but no idea if I actually am or not... maybe more?

Nothing looks bent or damaged there in any other way... but as for debris, should I take off the engine underbelly cover to check? I'm not a mechanic guy so don't know how safe it is to do so, how easy to put it back on, etc.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 08, 2009 09:34 AM        

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 09:41 AM        
Thank you. Missing a tooth somewhere, then... likely fell inside. What should I do? Motor has not yet been started since the crash, btw.
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 08, 2009 09:45 AM        
Looks like your missing 9 teeth.

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 10:11 AM        
Right, but I found 8, so missing 1 still :/
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 08, 2009 10:17 AM        
was the cover opened up, or cracked and pushed in?
Was the bike on its side or upside down?
did the cover break on the return side of the chain or the drive side of the chain?
do you feel lucky or not?

I would pull the pan and flush through the hole below the pulse rotor with diesel fuel. It cheaper and better for washing then oil.
If you do not find it in the bottom end then I would pull the valve cover as the cam chain could have carried it up into the head.

You should seek a mechanic i think.
There is alot of work there, and if you do not have the tools, experience or inclination, you could be asking for more problems than you already face.

Good luck

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted August 08, 2009 10:41 AM        
Nobody likes to be the one posting this kind of thing. Funny since my dumbass did the same thing, I dont think Ive gone over 120 mph since. I found many parts on ebay during the winter to cut costs. I had great service from a place called partsdepostore.com look for Ed. front fairing was cheapest anywhere. It is painted to OEM color. nice product. you can look at a blow-up fiche for part #'s and get a feel of costs. I was able to fix my bike for 75% cheaper than having it done through insurance. Be careful talking to your insurance company about it. I swear my rate went up slightly just for calling them although they said it wasnt true. good luck! Glad to hear your injuries were minimal... always get back on the horse

Ignore this member   
Big_T112

Pro
posted August 08, 2009 11:07 AM        Edited By: Big_T112 on 8 Aug 2009 19:08
Just a thought. my bike was worse. I got all 17 pieces of this faring from Auchtmart1 off of Ebay and they fit great. It does not come with a tank. I had to have mine painted. and it was only $600 dollars that was shipped to the house price.

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 11:36 AM        
Thx BigT, yeah masszx14 mentioned this as well. I just might go for it, just not sure how much I like the styling yet (like I kind of like yours, but then I'm thinking it's a bit too much). But of course, for $600 shipped I can't complain much lol.

Dubious, it was cracked and pushed in. Bike was on it's side. It cracked on the left side of the cover (opposite from side where teeth are missing on that sprocket, funny enough..). I do feel lucky lol... I mean hell, I survived with relatively very minor injuries where many others died. I should have bought lottery ticket that day Thanks for advice, I will find a local mechanic for this part of the job, I too thought of it but didn't know how hard/bad this part would be. Guess in best case scenario we'll remove oil pan and find 9th tooth and some debris and that will be it. In worst case scenario the tooth will get sucked up and f-up my bike. Thank you again.

dcjeans, thanks for the pointer... will check them for parts I can't buy used from someone here.

Ignore this member   
Stu64

Zone Head
posted August 08, 2009 11:46 AM        
Lyle, is that your bike in the picture? Where did you get that intercooler from?
Any luck on exhaust/turbo prices yet? Stu.

Ignore this member   
wndsrfr

Novice Class
posted August 08, 2009 11:57 AM        
i realize this is not the "For Sale" site ---but when i put a turbo on my 06 zx14 --i had a leftover exhaust header and two brothers dual slips--plus i still have the stockers--
also have rear brake light and plate holder assembly--interested?

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 08, 2009 12:42 PM        Edited By: dubious on 8 Aug 2009 20:43
quote:
Lyle, is that your bike in the picture? Where did you get that intercooler from?
Any luck on exhaust/turbo prices yet? Stu.

Hi Stu,
No, that is Gregs Intercooler.
I just got home this afternoon from work, so Monday i will be getting estimates from a couple fabricators.

I haven't forgotten you, I just haven't been in town to do anything.
Will get back to you mid week.
ATP instructions do not have pics and are quite crude, however I will send you a list of everything included when I get prices figured out

I will get pics up next week as well, the system should be back from the coaters.

Sorry to Jack your thead Alex,
If this place had PM's it would be nice.

Ignore this member   
billeason

Zone Head
posted August 08, 2009 12:58 PM        Edited By: billeason on 8 Aug 2009 20:59
ATU'' I have a upper center thats dark blue in color and a fender to match. If you plan on painting the bike these parts would save you some! Also heed Lyle's warning and pull that pan and change the pick up'' trust me on this one it could be nasty otherwise. LMK if you want these parts if you cover the shipping there yours.....................Bill

Ignore this member   
Douglas Home

Zone Head
posted August 08, 2009 01:28 PM        
Glad you came out of it relatively well!!
Goodluck.

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 04:26 PM        
Windsurfer, yes I'm def. interested in the option. Is the header from two brothers or is that stock and you only have TB pipes? By rear break light you mean the V-shaped LED tail light, correct? I def. need the tail light. Can you post some pics and we can talk about price if that's what I'm looking for? Thank you.

dubious, you're fine, you're helping me out, so hijack the thread as you wish.

bill, by upper center you mean the "grills"? What fender you got, front tire? Is your fender from ZX10 or ZX14? I'm looking to upgrade to ZX10 fender due to airflow/cooling issues with ZX.

Thanks, Douglas, that makes 2 of us

Ignore this member   
billeason

Zone Head
posted August 08, 2009 06:06 PM        
The upper front fairing the head lights sit in. The fender is from the same 08 14. I don't have any more 10r fenders, i went out in the shop and looked around'' man i need to clean this place up..........Bill

Ignore this member   
JR

Expert Class
drag racing
posted August 08, 2009 06:22 PM        
dam i know how you feel. been their im glad ur okay.
sliders, full 2brother exhaust.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit JR's homepage. 
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 08, 2009 10:53 PM        
Thanks, JR.

Bill, I don't think the Asian fairings come with that piece so yes I'd be interested. I'll add you to the list next to that item. How much would you like to charge for it?

Ignore this member   
masszx14

Pro
A mind beside itself!
posted August 09, 2009 07:34 AM        
Alex, I posted this in the FOR SALE section,
lmk if the fairings are of interest to you

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=3&TID=49063&set_time=

I can probably find a few other 08 SE plastics, gotta ask what's left first though

Ignore this member   
AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted August 10, 2009 08:53 PM        
Bump for wndsrfr and billeason to see and answer questions

Stan, I think I'll go with Asia fairing set... either that or buy full set (if you had one, which I know you don't :/ ). Do you still have that 07 header, though?

Ignore this member   
masszx14

Pro
A mind beside itself!
posted August 11, 2009 06:48 AM        
The header is yours- just lmk

I do have a long list of oem and aftermarket bits and pieces- all stuff not
currently on my bike. I'll email you with what I have asap.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Crashed ZX, parts list NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23278594017029 seconds processing time