HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Freeway pegs? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
animalrooster41

Parking Attendant
posted August 04, 2009 07:36 PM        
Freeway pegs?

O.K., flame suit on. I am new to the forum and this is my first cherry poppin question. I currently own a 2006 yamaha fjr 1300 (145 crank h.p.) I want to make the jump to the zx-14 for long distance touring. I have had the yamaha for 3 monthes and logged over 7 thousand miles on 4 trips. My question is this, has anyone put forward pegs on this beast ? Is anyone really riding this awesome machine 800-1000 miles a day? How are you L.D. guys stretching your legs WHILE RIDING and to where? Can you put your feet on extended sliders for short periods? Unless yamaha comes out with a 200 h.p. fjr this year then I see myself riding the zx-14.

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted August 04, 2009 07:40 PM        
I had an FJR and now 2 14's. Did a 3000 mile trip in 4 days on my first 14 with no issues at all. longest day was 800 miles. but I never need highway pegs on my FJr either. if my legs need stretched I pull over and reat for awhile. Don't hold your breath for a 200 hp FJR.
  Ignore this member   
Some Guy

Expert Class
posted August 04, 2009 08:03 PM        
We just did a two-day 900 mile trip through the Pacific Northwest. We stopped on occaision, but kept a steady pace. I just stand up when my knees get tired. Other than that, there's no other bike I'd rather be on for short trips or long ones. My '08 has over 15K on it now...that would be 15,000 "happy" miles

Ignore this member   
animalrooster41

Parking Attendant
posted August 04, 2009 08:12 PM        
Very encouraging, thanks! How tall of bar risers are available, 2 inch?
  Ignore this member   
ZX11D

Zone Head
Internet Police
posted August 04, 2009 08:27 PM        
It's absolutely unimaginable for me to ride a motorcycle with my legs stretched out forward at any time. I have to have a feeling that I could stand up when I have to, due to variety of factors, running into an unavoidable pothole, running over a speed bump little too fast, a bumpy railroad crossing, etc. This habit must be from the numerous long trips down to Mexico. Once you get used to it, it becomes totally natural an relaxing. No need for highway pegs.

Ignore this member   
Some Guy

Expert Class
posted August 04, 2009 09:06 PM        
I have the standard Heli-Risers you can find on Ebay. They're all I need. I've seen some raise them higher, but you may have to make some changes to the bike to make it fit.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 04, 2009 09:27 PM        
I logged quite a few 700- 1000 mile days on my zx14.
I ran it hard and fast, by the time it needs fuel its a great opportunity to stretch.
I found it was completely comfortable if the roads were twisty enough, allowing / necesitating alot of active movement on the bike.
The 60-85 mph freeway steady cruise type rides are the ones that will get your knees's stiff and your bum numb.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted August 05, 2009 01:15 AM        Edited By: LAB3 on 5 Aug 2009 09:18
I have the Speigler LSL handle bar mount kit and Buell Pegs. I am 6'3" and
have the bars up and back and the pegs down a bit more has made a big difference.

Send me your emailand will send pic's when I have the C-14 seat(cures the numb butt ) and all the soft luggage
and the smoke touring wind screen installed on for long hauls. And pics of the handle bars and pegs. No place for Hiway pegs you would have to make a crash bar....ugly IMHO

I ride with a buddy that has a 2005 FJR1300 his fuel range is WAY better and he has a taller
wind screen and when he pushes the button and it is up all the way and his matching
hard bags it is a much better long hauler but it is no C-14 or ZX-14 in the HP and Torque.

Go ride a Connie 14 with shaft and no chain to jack with. Go thru a 100 miles of rain and you will be cleaning the chain and some chain wax. But the ZX-14 set up right aint bad
if you are under 6' tall. When I get home I put the stock seat back on and and my smoked double bubble screen and remove the luggage and it looks like a ZX-14 again :-)

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Freeway pegs? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.617838859558 seconds processing time