HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Exhaust Review: Tsukigi, Muzzys, Brocks, Orient Express (Ti-Force) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Compton

Zone Head
posted August 06, 2009 08:10 PM        
i'd love to test out a tiwinder, hint hint

Ignore this member   
rtbain

Expert Class
old, fat and slow
posted August 07, 2009 03:51 AM        
Before you 'compare' anything you have to define your terms and application.

While nicely done the comparison is subjective and seems to be street oriented. The requirements seem to be long life, perceived power and good looks.

A pipe designed for the street will tend to be heavier, quieter and make power differently than one designed for performance. Race pipes tend to be lighter, louder and shorter lived. Any comparison of the two types is irrelevant.

I’ll give an example. I have a Brock’s Alien head. Its thin wall design and ‘robust’ exhaust note is appropriate for performance applications. My A/F meter logged numbers that indicated the mapping needed to be tweaked.

I had the PCIII remapped on a dyno and the bike runs noticeably better on the street. But when I go to the mile rest assured I will takes Brock’s extensive map base with me to test real world. Only then will I have a true comparison.

A radical but illustrative comparison is my brother in law’s Harley to my KTM 690SMR. His argument is the Harley is ‘better’ because its louder, better looking and attracts women. My argument is the KTM is better because its light, turns well, has great suspension and outstanding brakes.

So which bike is better? Depends on who is making the determination.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit rtbain's homepage. 
BobC

Pro
posted August 07, 2009 11:16 AM        Edited By: BobC on 7 Aug 2009 18:21
Further to my earlier comment: I found a couple of hours free this morning so headed into the garage and fitted the Brocks SMEG which has had pride of place on the office carpet for the last month or so.

Fitting was really easy, nothing complicated, it slotted together just fine. I loaded the street map for baffle in and flys out and took it out for a shake-down ride.

The fuelling is great from tickover right up to the red line, thanks Brock and the sound is deep and rich when everything is warmed up, a bit harsher when the engine and system is cold. To me it sounds better than the TiForce. I dropped into GT Motorcycles for a chat and afterwards they stood outside to hear the bike going up the road. There aren't many Brock systems in England, I got a phone call at home later and the first comment was about how good it sounded.

So the first impression is very satisfactory. I might give it a run on the dyno when time allows and I guess I need to change my avatar.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted August 07, 2009 12:01 PM        
rtbain,

I'm not sure what you mean about shorter lived street systems?

Our first systems are still on the road after 10 years and we recently repacked our first Gen 3 muffler-ever. The customer purchased in 2001 and likes high speed runs. We repaired it under warranty and asked him to try to damage it again using our previously updated wrap we began using in 2003.

Our material is .027 wall to keep it nearly as light as most Titanium systems, but it is incredible strong and resilient. We used to have a repair program for smashed headers—they would bend back into shape. It was simply too time consuming, so now we stock individual replacement parts. I wonder what would happen if you damaged a single section of one of the other guys systems? Would they sell you a part…. or an entire system?

Just wondering- I really have no idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gilbejj,

You have mail.

Brock
Brock’s Performance

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
rtbain

Expert Class
old, fat and slow
posted August 07, 2009 03:50 PM        
Brock

I wasn't trying to cast aspersions, just relating my experience. First off I said ‘tend’. In my experience, full on race pipes require repacking, spring replacement and sometimes rebuild or replacement of components. This is because the design has been maximized for performance and light weight. It’s an expected trade off.

Street oriented pipes tend to be heavier and use metal baffles. As such they go a long time without maintenance. My 1995 BMW R1100GS went 120K on the stock exhaust with zero maintenance. The second owner is still putting miles on that warhorse.

The pipe I purchased from you is a thing of beauty to a performance enthusiast. Light weight, excellent construction and makes good power. A huge selling point is customer service and map library. But I would not expect the pipe to do 120K without maintenance.

If maintenance or repair is ever required I expect outstanding service from your company. But unlike the old GS I expect to have to make some repairs to my Brock’s pipe sometime in its lifespan. If for no other reason than it gets removed and replaced as the bike is brought to a higher state of tune. Parts will wear.

Lastly I don’t use dyno results as the ultimate guide. I had my PCIII remapped for ‘better’ streetability. But when I go to the Texas Mile I’ll be loading maps from your library to see what works best. And I’ll share my results with you because I know you are always working to improve the product.

If the same tuner builds two engines with the same parts the point of tune will differ slightly. It’s just the nature of machines made by humans.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit rtbain's homepage. 
masszx14

Pro
A mind beside itself!
posted August 07, 2009 04:49 PM        
I wish I had the time and funds to try a few different exhausts on my 14...

This is the only aftermarket exhaust I've had on my bike and really like it- wish they came with a CF muffler though... would have looked incredible IMHO

Ignore this member   
Old Guy

Expert Class
posted August 09, 2009 10:15 AM        
Good stuff!!
My Tsukigi has handled Washington winters, track days, and total lack of of care and still looks great after 22,000 miles of rain, dirt and abuse.
Custom maps are the way to go UNLESS you go with Brock.
Someday I'll switch to a Connie and then I'll give Brock a call.
pcIII w/custom map
NO freakin flies!!
GP suspension forks
Penske rear shock
Rich's custom seat
And a whole bunch of other stuff.

97 zx6r full race bike with all the
good stuff

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted September 19, 2009 07:20 PM        
stay tuned...... ct single exhaust review to come........ hopefully
  Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted January 07, 2010 08:32 PM        
I got a brocks sidewinder a while ago. I haven't really been able to test it. Review to follow.... Sounds good though....
  Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted January 07, 2010 10:16 PM        
Can't wait to see the review of the CT Series. I am looking at buying either the CT Megaphone or the CT Canister, haven't decided yet. I am anxious to see how the sound compares to a Short Meg or an Alien Head. Thanks for the reviews.

Ignore this member   
madkawboy

Expert Class
posted January 08, 2010 08:11 AM        
I had the Muzzy full system and sold it to get the CT series full system. The quality is a millions times better on the CT.
The first time at the track with the CT system I set my personal best time compared to the Muzzy. Since then, every time I had been to the track my times keep getting better.
My 60ft times were about the same between the Muzzy and the CT but the bike now MPH's alot better on the big end with the CT.
1.50 60ft

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted January 08, 2010 09:17 AM        
I never got the chance to run the ct. Maybe someday....
  Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted January 08, 2010 10:46 AM        
madkawboy, do you know how the CT Full system compared sound wise to a short meg or alien head?

Ignore this member   
madkawboy

Expert Class
posted January 08, 2010 12:07 PM        
quote:
madkawboy, do you know how the CT Full system compared sound wise to a short meg or alien head?

The CT is quieter than the Alien but both sound good. You can get a quiet core insert for the Alien Head also.
1.50 60ft

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted January 08, 2010 12:32 PM        
Thanks for the reply. It is hard to drop $1500 on an exhaust without hearing it. I am not concerned with the db level, just the deep sound of the meg. Thanks again.

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted January 08, 2010 12:57 PM        
This one rules!

2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
madkawboy

Expert Class
posted January 08, 2010 01:12 PM        
quote:
Thanks for the reply. It is hard to drop $1500 on an exhaust without hearing it. I am not concerned with the db level, just the deep sound of the meg. Thanks again.

My CT has a deep sound. The Alien kinda has a hollow sound. You might email Brock and ask him for a sound clip of the exhuast
1.50 60ft

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted January 08, 2010 01:23 PM        
Shane had his new CT for sale, not sure if he sold it.
  Ignore this member   
Bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted January 08, 2010 01:29 PM        
yeah, it was just the header and it sold for a ti winder. I heard a CT on a busa last night at bike night and it was a lot deeper than the alienhead. It really reminds me of the shorty gen3, but with more of a rip like a smeg.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted January 08, 2010 06:15 PM        
Great stuff!

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted November 28, 2010 06:30 PM        
thread updated here.....

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=59043&set_time=

Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted November 28, 2010 07:55 PM        
I have to say that I really DO appreciate this write up and discussion. As far as the ZX 14 is concerned, I am a "noob" (been riding for 23 years) and am in the market for an exhaust.
I would like to know where you found a Brock's for 1000. From the things that I have been hearing, that is the one I would like, although I do lean toward the smeg as opposed to the alien head. But I would be happy with that too.
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted November 28, 2010 08:43 PM        
http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/brockracing/-strse-Kawasaki-cln-ZX-dsh-14-cln-Exhaust-Systems-cln-Full-Race-Systems/Categories

Get it from Brock's, and if you get it tomorrow you can use the promo code CM2010 and get 10% off, so that is less than a grand for any of them.

Ignore this member   
STULER

Novice Class
Back Road Racer
posted January 15, 2012 04:09 AM        
Quick question here, Brocks Performance has Dual slip on polished stainless exhaust on sale for my 07 zx17 SE, for $199. Brand new. I have stock pipes on now. Would i notice a difference in hp gains or would it be a waste of money. I dont do track days dont drag race that often with this bike,

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted January 15, 2012 11:26 AM        
It will run better,sound better, look better, and go faster than stock.(lighter)
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Exhaust Review: Tsukigi, Muzzys, Brocks, Orient Express (Ti-Force) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.724695920944 seconds processing time