HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Exhaust Review: Tsukigi, Muzzys, Brocks, Orient Express (Ti-Force) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Exhaust Review: Tsukigi, Muzzys, Brocks, Orient Express (Ti-Force) [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ]
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted August 04, 2009 12:02 AM        
Exhaust Review: Tsukigi, Muzzys, Brocks, Orient Express (Ti-Force)

This post is from my thread about pictures of my bike, but since I spent so much time doing this writeup, I thought it would be worth making just a thread about all the different exhausts I've used throughout the year and a half ownership of my 2006 zx14. With all the exhausts, my bike setup has been the same (save for installing a 16t front sprocket for a short stint on the Muzzy m10 and Brocks Alien Head).

My bikes consists of the following....
2006 Kawi zx14
PCIII usb
Flies removed
Pipercross race filter

The exhausts I've used are....
Stock (obviously)

Tsukigi

Muzzy m10 (the original, not the m14/m10)
*Important note: The Muzzy pipe I was using was the original design. Since that time, Muzzy has come out with the stepped header m14 version. That pipe is lightyears better then the original that I tested. It is fully tig welded, and quality of build is on par with, or better then the Brocks imo. Sticks m14 equipped bike romped my bike on two seperate dyno days (Tsukigi and Brocks equipped). Comparing other m14 equipped bikes, I've come to the conclusion that his bike just finds another 4-5 whp. All in all, get an m14, not an original muzzys...... cause the originals suck.

Brocks Alien Head

Orient Express (this exhaust is made by Ti-Force for Orient Express)

Power: I like the alien head and the orient express the best. The alien head undoubtedly makes the most hp out of all the pipes. It's noticeable in the ride! The alien head used to loft the tire so badly in 2nd that I had to go back to a 17t front sprocket. None of the other pipes did that. All the 3 other exhausts are similar in power (as far as I can tell). I would guess that the power goes Orient Express being second, Muzzy m10, and Tsukigi (all trailing the Brocks of course).

Quality: The build quality of the brocks and muzzy are lacking in comparison to the orient express (ti-force) and tsukigi. It's not even close! The orient and tsukigi look like works of art, and the brocks and muzzy pipes look like they were built by a muffler shop. To be fair, the muzzy pipe was even lower quality then the brocks. One thing that hurt the Brocks (as far as quality goes) was how thin the piping was. It was so thin that the spot welds for the spring tabs left large bumps on the inside of the piping. I know it's much more difficult to weld thin piping.

Fitment: Fitment was where the brocks pipe really shined. All the other pipes stick out below or equal with the oil drain plug guard, but the brocks is higher then even the sump. The Muzzys was the easiest to assmble because it was just 2 pieces. All the others were equally frustrating (but not all that bad).

Sound: Though my opinion counts for little, I thought I would still air out my thoughts about the sound of each pipe. For street riding, the Orient Express is the nicest. It is deep and smooth with no raspy undertones. It's not the same deep that you get with a shorty pipe (like the m10 or alien head), but it's still deep. The sound is what you would expect from a liter bike, with 352 more ccs..... Still has that f1 high revving wail to it, but a little deeper. It is calm when riding regularly, but opens up when you get on it. The Tsukigi (I think it's muffler packing was burnt out of it), muzzy m10, and brocks all made a blat blat blat sound at about 1,500 rpms. That really annoyed me. At the track, the Muzzy m10 and the Brocks alien head sounded equally good. Real aggressive, and real deep. They aren't as deep as a Brocks Smeg, but they are still much deeper then a canister style exhaust. Both the Brocks and m10 were tiring on your ears if you were riding for more then 50 miles at a time. I would suggest ear plugs if you go on longer rides with the muzzy m10 or brocks alien head. IMO, the m10 is a little quieter then the Brocks, but that's like saying one sumo wrestler is fatter then another...... They are both fat......

Mapping: With all the exhaust systems, I ran flies out. For the Tsukigi, I got a map from HPC (zx14.net). It was a good map but ran rich up top. I considered getting a custom map as I suspected the map was a little fat in areas. All in all, it was a good map, but down on power compared to the others. The Tsukigi made the least power of the group. For the muzzy m10, I tried my Tsukigi map, and a map for a ti-force (each of them complete garbage). Then I got the map from muzzys, and it was ok. Having this map on my bike made me realize that the mapping for the Tsukigi was actually pretty good. This was the worst mapped pipe I had. If I would have kept it longer, I probably would have gotten a custom tune. The brocks was......surprise, surprise...... the best mapped pipe of the bunch. I got my maps from brock, and I never even considered getting it custom tuned. I got a dyno done (to check hp), and the tune was perfect. When I got my Orient Express pipe, I just left the Brocks street map on the bike, and I have no need to change it. I have a map from hpc and from orient express, but I never even tried them out. The Brocks map is very smooth, even with the orient express map loaded.
Important note: I was comparing maps, and the muzzy and brocks maps were almost exactly identical. There were something like 14 different cells out of close to 500 cells. I'm guessing that muzzy just used brocks map.

Pricing: These prices are the cheapest that I've found them
Brocks: $1000 (but it comes with excellent maps)
Orient Express: $775 (the map looks pretty good that comes with it, but I've just been running the brocks map)
Tsukigi: $750 (doesn't come with a map, but the vender might give you one. The one from HPC is pretty good and he gives you the map if you buy the pipe from him)
Muzzy m10: $800

Conclusion: Don't get me wrong, I liked all of the pipes, but if I had to rate them, I would rate them.....

Orient Express
Brocks Alien Head
Tsukigi
Muzzy m10

This takes everything into account....... For my needs, the orient express looks the part, sounds great, fits the budget, and makes almost as much power as the Brocks.

Videos I have......

Tsukigi Full System Sound Clip

Tsukigi Full System Fly-by

Tsukigi drag strip

Muzzy m10 burnout

Muzzy m14 vs Brocks Smeg vs Brocks Alien Head

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted August 04, 2009 12:33 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 4 Aug 2009 07:34
Thanks for the reviews! I would say that I personally consider the thin piping of the Brock pipe a plus. It is what makes the header so light. The Muzzy was much heavier with poorer quality welds, imo. But that is why it is a bargain.

Shane

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted August 04, 2009 01:43 AM        
quote:
Thanks for the reviews! I would say that I personally consider the thin piping of the Brock pipe a plus. It is what makes the header so light. The Muzzy was much heavier with poorer quality welds, imo. But that is why it is a bargain.

Shane

haha...... but I want something that will last for 50k plus miles...... even though I'm selling my bike...... My bike is more street oriented I guess.

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted August 04, 2009 06:37 AM        Edited By: Sticks_n_Stones on 4 Aug 2009 13:39
Muzzy hating again? You fault the Muzzy with "This was the worst mapped pipe I had. If I would have kept it longer, I probably would have gotten a custom tune." Yet you go on to say its almost exactly the same map as the Brocks with only a handfull of fueling cells being different, which you say (Brocks map) was the best map by far? And how do you explain my bike running so well on a base Muzzy map? I know you accused me of running a custom map, but I never did- I'm too cheap to get a tune if I dont think it needs it.

Nice writeup and most will find it very interesting or even critically useful, I just wanted to point out the one inconsistency.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted August 04, 2009 06:55 AM        
Good comparison!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted August 04, 2009 07:08 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 4 Aug 2009 14:09
quote:
Muzzy hating again? You fault the Muzzy with "This was the worst mapped pipe I had. If I would have kept it longer, I probably would have gotten a custom tune." Yet you go on to say its almost exactly the same map as the Brocks with only a handfull of fueling cells being different, which you say (Brocks map) was the best map by far? And how do you explain my bike running so well on a base Muzzy map? I know you accused me of running a custom map, but I never did- I'm too cheap to get a tune if I dont think it needs it.

Nice writeup and most will find it very interesting or even critically useful, I just wanted to point out the one inconsistency.

Hey Sticks, remove that giant chip off of your shoulder. Nobody cares that much...it's just an exhaust pipe. Everyone is free to choose as they wish.

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted August 04, 2009 07:19 AM        
Thanks for the write-up, I had a genuine TiForce which made good power. I now have a Brocks SMEG in Black Ceramic which looks the business but have not tried it on the track yet. (If it doesn't stop raining soon I'll be selling the bike and getting a boat).

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
Some Guy

Expert Class
posted August 04, 2009 07:32 AM        
Having met up with gilberjj one fine afternoon, I got to hear his Brock Alien Head Shorty. IMO, my SMEG sounded deeper and smoother. I remember when gilberjj revved his bike to show off the sound, and boy my ears rang. It's a different pitch for sure.

Not that it's worth much, but if you're in the market for a exhaust, sound means as much as looks and performance. I just preferred the SMEG over the Shorty Alien sound. Both look equally cool, and it's debatable whose bike won the dyno that day. (Yes Sticks, you won).

Nice writeup gilberjj. I would have really appreciated it if I were looking around for pipes.

I think I may be in the market for a Gen 3 can as my SMEG is sometimes too loud. BTW, I did purchase and install the noice reduction plug. It helped a little. I could barely tell the difference for a while there. But rececently, I took it out after having it in for months. Yea, it makes a difference. The bike is much louder 'to me' now without it. (Note: I didn't have it in the day I met with gilberjj and Sticks).

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted August 04, 2009 07:33 AM        
quote:

Give me a break sticks! When did I ever accuse you of running a custom map?
Also, I say many positive things about the m14 system, but I was simply not happy with the m10 system. And how would you know anything about a well mapped bike compared to a crummy one? The only bike you've ridden extensively is your own. The m10 had the worst mapping/driveability of all the pipes tested...... period. I would have loved to test a m14/m10 as they look the part, and run the highly improved stepped header, but I didn't ever have the chance. Both the Brocks pipes and Orient Express pipes have stepped headers which favor top end. The m10 did not, and I believe running a map for stepped head pipes when the exhaust is not designed for it will only make your bike run like crap.
I'm in no way attacking Muzzy as a company, but I think their original system has several oversights which I addressed in my review.

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted August 04, 2009 08:21 AM        
Excellent write up Gill.....Nice to see you passing on the good info to help everyone!!!

I have found the 2 best pipes for the ZX12 / ZX14 are the Akrapovic & Brocks/Hindle !!!

Sticks.....Nobody is Muzzy hating, most of us like Muzzys for all his Kawasaki heritage and connections!!!...But it is what it is, his pipe was a mess for the ZX12s, with the Akrapovic & Hindle being the BEST.....Then the m-10 and the header on his standard ZX14 header were similar to the lack of performance and smoothness as the ZX12s.....Finally the m-14 and Muzzys new sidewinder a much much better pipe!!!

Sticks.....Why take it personal, you didnt make the Muzzy m-10 pipe.....We're all just passing on the what works best info!!!

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted August 04, 2009 08:30 AM        
Thought you had the M14 header on your bike. If not, the map for the M10 header is indeed different than the M14- at least different on there website.

You say I dont know what a well mapped bike rides like??? I've owned over a dozen sport bikes, ridden THOUSANDS of different bikes, and used to tune bikes for all my friends. Been riding since I turned 16- 21 years worth and probably around 150,000+ miles.

Last but not least, you mentioned on the thread we had about the shootout on this site, when posting in response to another member that they should talk to me about a good map because you thought I had a custom map. I aint going through the trouble of looking it up for you. Didn't bother me 'cept I had never stated that before, nor was it true.

And yes, I always get riled up when I percieve people trash talking something that works just as good as the high dollar setup, but for one of the cheapest prices. Doesnt hurt that I have one on my own bike, too. All the years of riding, I've never seen so much arguing over which pipe is better... sometimes the internet aint so great.

Another subject: when you coming over to visit my homestead Gilberjj or Someguy? I'm working every weekend for the next month or two right now, but that doesnt stop me from having fun after work! And if you need to sleep off my version of "having fun", I have a downstairs living room with dual recliners and privacy!
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted August 04, 2009 11:01 AM        
quote:
Thought you had the M14 header on your bike. If not, the map for the M10 header is indeed different than the M14- at least different on there website.

You say I dont know what a well mapped bike rides like??? I've owned over a dozen sport bikes, ridden THOUSANDS of different bikes, and used to tune bikes for all my friends. Been riding since I turned 16- 21 years worth and probably around 150,000+ miles.

Last but not least, you mentioned on the thread we had about the shootout on this site, when posting in response to another member that they should talk to me about a good map because you thought I had a custom map. I aint going through the trouble of looking it up for you. Didn't bother me 'cept I had never stated that before, nor was it true.

And yes, I always get riled up when I percieve people trash talking something that works just as good as the high dollar setup, but for one of the cheapest prices. Doesnt hurt that I have one on my own bike, too. All the years of riding, I've never seen so much arguing over which pipe is better... sometimes the internet aint so great.

Another subject: when you coming over to visit my homestead Gilberjj or Someguy? I'm working every weekend for the next month or two right now, but that doesnt stop me from having fun after work! And if you need to sleep off my version of "having fun", I have a downstairs living room with dual recliners and privacy!

I can tell you that there is no sense in your attempting to look for a quote saying I thought you had a custom map. I don't ever remember thinking or saying that. Prove me wrong and I will delightfully eat humble pie. Until that time, I accept that my bike/pipes just make less hp then your bike with the standard muzzy map..... but it's still not enough to keep me and my weight advantage to leaving you behind on the road/track hahaha!
I'm pretty busy these days and since I moved even further south (oly), it doesn't make it any easier to get together. However, I agree that we should do at least one more ride together. You have my number.....

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted August 04, 2009 12:26 PM        
quote:
Contact Sticks n Stones. His bike runs stronger then my brocks equipped 2006. Whether it be a monday bike compared to a wednesday bike, I don't really know. All I know is Sticks' bike has consistantly put down more hp on 2 seperate dynos then my bike. I believe his is tuned well.

All I could find with a quick check. I remember it was in regards to a map request for some guy who was losing in roll racing to a R1? or Gixxer 1k? and you said I had a 'really good custom tune'.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
Bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted August 04, 2009 01:26 PM        
If i've said it once i've said it a hundred times... Muzzys makes damn good products. Hell, they make the best products that brocks hard work, research and development can produce. That being said... i'll put my smeg up against an M-14 piped bike at the track any day of the week. As will any other drag racer.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
tech73x

Expert Class
posted August 04, 2009 02:01 PM        
Muzzy's copies brocks???? I dont think so,,,,,,,
  Ignore this member   
icarus

Expert Class
posted August 04, 2009 03:07 PM        
I just posted my dyno numbers, might want to check those out tech73x.

Ignore this member   
Flyboy

Pro
posted August 04, 2009 09:12 PM        
Interesting but all very subjective. There are really two ways to measure power-- acceleration and top speed.. and to do each 10 times with the same rider and same atmospheric conditions. To say that your bike kicks up in second gear is not very scientific or precise. It makes for good conversation though.. A finger or 1/2 of helmet in the windstream will make all the difference in the world. I think most bikers feel the exhaust they layed out hard earned money for is the fastest exhaust for the bike--

One fast red ZX-14,
Three World and four National Land Speed Records,
One faster red and white Cessna Turbo 210

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Flyboy's homepage. 
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted August 05, 2009 06:50 AM        
quote:
Interesting but all very subjective. There are really two ways to measure power-- acceleration and top speed.. and to do each 10 times with the same rider and same atmospheric conditions. To say that your bike kicks up in second gear is not very scientific or precise. It makes for good conversation though.. A finger or 1/2 of helmet in the windstream will make all the difference in the world. I think most bikers feel the exhaust they layed out hard earned money for is the fastest exhaust for the bike--

+1 million!
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
tech73x

Expert Class
posted August 05, 2009 07:06 AM        
No offense, but those dyno numbers are pretty common for a 14 now? Ive seen that power level with a good number of exhaust systems, be it a brocks junkhead, muzzy's m14, akra, ti and so on. The write up was very good, but that one post about the rider will feel his is the fastest based on the hard earned cash he just layed down is damn spot on. That pretty much summed it up on the exhaust thing.
  Ignore this member   
Some Guy

Expert Class
posted August 05, 2009 10:01 AM        
Hey Sticks! Looks like you may have missed my post a week or two ago about a northwest ride. You were cordially invited. Sorry we missed you.
Not to hijack this thread, but see my latest addition to the Northwest Ride thread momentarily.

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted August 05, 2009 11:04 AM        
I have a damned telephone ya know! Sometimes I dont check in here for more than a quick thread check once a week or so. You got my number still? the 345-5544 number?
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted August 05, 2009 04:24 PM        Edited By: gilberjj on 5 Aug 2009 23:34
quote:
No offense, but those dyno numbers are pretty common for a 14 now? Ive seen that power level with a good number of exhaust systems, be it a brocks junkhead, muzzy's m14, akra, ti and so on. The write up was very good, but that one post about the rider will feel his is the fastest based on the hard earned cash he just layed down is damn spot on. That pretty much summed it up on the exhaust thing.

Considering I only spent $475 on my Brocks system, and sold it for $675, it wasn't the price that made me want to think that it made the most power. My system might not be the most scientific, but I know 100% that my muzzy system would NOT wheelie if I was tucked in 2nd gear. With no other changes besides the brocks exhaust and brocks tune, I would have to let out of it in 2nd gear or it would have flipped all the way over. I absolutely know the brocks system made a good amount of power more then the original muzzy. I would bet just about any amount of money on it.
That being said, of course this is all subjective. I made sure to state that at the end. Take it for what it's worth, but now at least when a newb gets on here asking what exhaust to get (cause that's never happened before), it won't be the usual explaining. I've knocked out 4 of the exhausts. Sure, it's not to be taken as 100 percent truth because everything was based on my perceptions and preferences, however, I took a long time making that review and I feel it can aid any potential zx14 exhaust buyer. That's the purpose.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted August 06, 2009 04:33 AM        
quote:
quote:

Give me a break sticks! When did I ever accuse you of running a custom map?
Also, I say many positive things about the m14 system, but I was simply not happy with the m10 system. And how would you know anything about a well mapped bike compared to a crummy one? The only bike you've ridden extensively is your own. The m10 had the worst mapping/driveability of all the pipes tested...... period. I would have loved to test a m14/m10 as they look the part, and run the highly improved stepped header, but I didn't ever have the chance. Both the Brocks pipes and Orient Express pipes have stepped headers which favor top end. The m10 did not, and I believe running a map for stepped head pipes when the exhaust is not designed for it will only make your bike run like crap.
I'm in no way attacking Muzzy as a company, but I think their original system has several oversights which I addressed in my review.

I have tried several maps on Shanes old M14 I have. I am running a map from Ivan that

he made for a Yoush as my friend has this system as does another friend have a Brocks

SMEG and map on his 2006 14. Used all three maps and Shanes data logged map he sent me with the M14. (Wrong I have Not used the Brocks map yet)

I posted when you were doing the Dyno test that a M14 would suprise you. As the three

14 I street ride/race with are all geared the same and we all weight about the with me being 20 pounds heaver. My 2007 has lower miles and was not riden hard..until I got.

Going 70 in 2 nd gear and hit it with the Ivans map againt the Yoush and same map and the Yoush does not have Stepped headers I pull about a bike and it stays that way thru

several gears and we slow down, The Brocks 14 is behind us several bikes and never makes it up.

My point is the map "worked" just fine and did not run like crap.( I was suprised too) The Brocks pipe is Much better suited for Drag Racing not playing on the street like we do.

6th gear roll on at 70 MPH was worse for the Brocks and again I pulled them both and the Yoush
pulled away from the Brocks. But get going in 2nd gear at 9000 RPM and Brocks

will hold its own and comes down who can foot shift the best If I was Drag Racing ONLY

Brocks for me. I have not tried all the different systems you have. Shanes data logged map

bogged Big Time when doing 70 in 6th gear and both Spanked me. Installed the Muzzy

map Tom at Muzzy sent me for for flys out M14 and 4degree advancer worked just

like the custom map Ivan made for the Yoush full system(REALLY). So I have this experience

with these three maps playing doing roll ons in different gears as it takes the "Rider" out

of the test a little more if you do not start froma stop. To me this shows the power bands

of each exhaust system for the street. Just thought I would share and again I can see the

Brocks is making Great power for Drag racing and who is to say that the 14 with Brocks

was a "Monday Bike" :-) and not making the same power when all were running stock exhaust as we never did this when all were show room stock.

Oh and I do remember you saying you thought Sticks had a custom map...I think you

were joking with him. As I read all the posts on the Muzzy VS Brocks post even Brock

posted to post the results and then all got really quiet when the Muzzy won, After seeing

you smoking the tire in front of your garage door my guess your 14 is worn a little more

than sticks, the real test was as you wanted to do was install both systems and maps

on the same bike on the same day and same Dyno. I am not pro Muzzy as I wanted a Brocks Gen 3 but Shane sold me his M14 for 1/2 the cost... I also like the Dyno curve

for the Akrapovic as Ivan has dyon charts for several different system he sells amd makes maps for. Ivan maps are made for the street and seem a little rich so they are VERY smooth. AS he drives them on the street and checks his maps. I know he pissed off some of the members here sometime back but it is what I stated. I am not saying Ivan is better than Brock as Brocks Customer Service is Great and all the products he makes are First Class... but more for the Drag racer.

I wish I had a Dyno I would install all 3 of the our different systems and mapsand see
what the #s are.

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted August 06, 2009 03:52 PM        
gilberjj,

Nice write up!

If you would like to test our "non-muffler shop versions", let me know:
http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/brockracing/-strse-Kawasaki-cln-ZX-dsh-14-cln-Exhaust-Systems-cln-Full-Titanium-Race-Systems/Categories

Send me an e-mail to Brock@BrocksPerformance.com

Brock

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted August 06, 2009 07:39 PM        
quote:
gilberjj,

Nice write up!

If you would like to test our "non-muffler shop versions", let me know:
http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/brockracing/-strse-Kawasaki-cln-ZX-dsh-14-cln-Exhaust-Systems-cln-Full-Titanium-Race-Systems/Categories

Send me an e-mail to Brock@BrocksPerformance.com

Brock

haha, would I ever!!!! However, they are nowhere near my price range.

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Exhaust Review: Tsukigi, Muzzys, Brocks, Orient Express (Ti-Force) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.408779144287 seconds processing time