HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Got my ass handed to me today. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted May 17, 2009 04:28 PM        
Got my ass handed to me today.

I was out in the countryside and decided to head out to a popular meeting spot for bikers on Sunday mornings. I haven't been out there for about a month and a half and I wanted to wear in the new tires, so I took a little ride.

I got out there kinda late to jump on a group ride but the racer boys were there and bullshitting about this and that. There was a guy I reconized and had spoken to a bunch of times on an 07' GSXR-1K that had just come back from a roll on race with a Busa' that he had beaten.

I joined in the chatter for a little while enjoying the fact that I was out of the house, and I was tempted to ask the guy on the Gixxer if he'd want to entertain the idea of running me. I had already heard that he beat a couple of other 14's so my curiosity was peaked a bit. I started to get that feeling that you get when you get back to the track after a long absence.

Anyway, I asked him if he's be willing to show me what his bike can do and he's a decently cool guy to begin with so he said sure. His bike is Tuned by him, Full pipe, PCIII, and +2 in the rear sprocket. He also weighs in at about 160 lbs.

We went to a deserted area where there wasn't ANYTHING, no intersections, lights, houses, farms, ranches, nothing for about 3 miles in every direction and went at it from a roll in second gear at about 65 mph. I told him from the start that I'd run to the top of 5th, but no more. He wa cool with that and off we went.

On the first try I got the jump on him and my bike started to get a little headshake through 2nd but straightened out in 3rd on up. He pulled me as I was in the middle-top of 4th and steadly kept on going.
On the second run he just went right on past me and pulled steadly away again but this time I was in the top of 3rd when he went by.
On the 3rd try, it was similar to the first run, but we punched it at the same time. Same result.

Granted, I weigh 45lbs more, my bike weighs 100+lbs more, yada yada yada, but his bike was a runner for sure.

When we got back to the meeting spot, he said that he was suprised on how strong my 14 ran. Genuinely suprised.

Easy to say that when you are the winner.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 17, 2009 04:38 PM        
45 pounds makes a big difference...Put me on the bike and see what happens to that Gixxer .. Gixxer 1000s are no joke , you need to be on your game with them from a roll on ..Drag strip is a different story .. Only Gixxers that get close to me at the strip are spraying or have a built motor or Both ..lol...

Ignore this member   
duncan

Expert Class
posted May 17, 2009 05:41 PM        
It wouldn't surprise me if he had a little sneaky 30 shot hidden somewhere.
  Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted May 17, 2009 05:50 PM        
A well rode 1000 with A 45 LB lighter rider won't need a 30 shot to do that.
  Ignore this member   
KaiBosh

Novice Class
posted May 18, 2009 04:41 AM        
I'm sorry you are fat. LOL
  Ignore this member   
3000psi and falling

Zone Head
posted May 18, 2009 05:05 AM        
One of the guys I ride with has a 08 gixxer1k, full exhaust, pc3, and high flow airfilter. He weighs in just 10lbs heaver than me at 190lbs and I walk away from him everywere. Untill we get to the twisties... Mine is a 08 14 with just slip-ons..
Flies pulled, 16-42, BMC street, 8" extensions, drag shock, cut pan, Cycle Concepts Drag Pack and springs, muzzy m14 w/ oval can, lowered, Shinco usoft rear, pcv with autotune, leightweight Shori 18ah battery, throttle meister. 500lbs at bandimeres scales with half tank of juice.

Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted May 18, 2009 05:58 AM        
quote:
One of the guys I ride with has a 08 gixxer1k, full exhaust, pc3, and high flow airfilter. He weighs in just 10lbs heaver than me at 190lbs and I walk away from him everywere. Untill we get to the twisties... Mine is a 08 14 with just slip-ons..

tell him to start in the same gear you start in

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2009 06:02 AM        
Well,
We both started in 2nd gear, at around 65mph. I'd be more than willing to try him off the line though. Yeah, he'll have the weight advantage, but I'll sinch the front end strap and we'll play proper from there.

I don't know why I didn't ask for a formal off the line start. I think I'd have the advantage there and limit it to a 1/4 mile.

Ignore this member   
dhobbs74

Novice Class
posted May 18, 2009 08:15 AM        
In my opinion roll on's are not real racing. I tell any guys that wanna race me on my 14 that if you wanna race me then we race from a dead stop like its suppose to be done. There was this one guy on a gixxer 1000 talking trash to me one day when i was sitting on my 14 at the local sonics in front of his friends. After him talking about the weight to power ratio for a few min and how he was going to walk away from me we decided to race. Well he gets on the bike and he was like " Hey what gear do you wanna roll in" I started laughing at the top of my lungs and said " BITCH WE LAUNCHING FROM A DEAD STOP". All of a sudden he started bitching up and saying " Oh well im not good at launching"

I looked at him and said well obviously you don't wanna race then, what do you think this is kindergarden racing or something. I told him when he learns how to holeshot to come and talk to me. His boys just laughed at him while he sat there with his face turning fire red from embarrassment.

Ignore this member   
3000psi and falling

Zone Head
posted May 18, 2009 08:32 AM        
I feel the same. With so many bikes so close to eachother in accelaration, how the hell are you going to get a fair start from a roll on? What with 3 beeps of the horn? Someone gets the jump that way every time, and that can be the win or loose as close as these bikes can be.
Flies pulled, 16-42, BMC street, 8" extensions, drag shock, cut pan, Cycle Concepts Drag Pack and springs, muzzy m14 w/ oval can, lowered, Shinco usoft rear, pcv with autotune, leightweight Shori 18ah battery, throttle meister. 500lbs at bandimeres scales with half tank of juice.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted May 18, 2009 08:41 AM        Edited By: dubious on 18 May 2009 18:33
quote:
Well,
We both started in 2nd gear, at around 65mph. I'd be more than willing to try him off the line though. Yeah, he'll have the weight advantage, but I'll sinch the front end strap and we'll play proper from there.

I don't know why I didn't ask for a formal off the line start. I think I'd have the advantage there and limit it to a 1/4 mile.

I will tell you , the 08 zx10 I installed bazzaz, Brocks alien , KN filter and few other little mods will hang right beside a zx14 in any roll on if the roll starts above 5000 rpm on the zx10, up to 150 mph... then the 14 walks away.

Off the line though I would ABSOLUTELY SMASH that zx10 with my zx14.... absolutely impossible to luanch like th 14 without 10 oclock wheelies meaning it would flip over in a retarded fashion if it was launched as violently as the big bike...

Drag racing shows how launchable and powerful the bike is,
roll ons compare power to weight ratio, and mechanical advantage( gearing)
top speed shows outright HP, as weight has no effect.

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted May 18, 2009 11:10 AM        
This works for me during Roll-ons:

never let anyone tell you what gear to start in (as it is all about gearing) , just agree to a speed. Shift down as far as you can (without locking up the rear tire due engine braking). tuck, smash the gas, and hit your shift points.

Be fair but be first, let the other guy beep the horn or nod his head. If there is no agreed signal, as soon as you are geared down and are at equal speeds hit it!

With the torque the 14 makes you will more times than not pull him two to three bike and if your shifting is proper the other guy will catch hell just catching up to you not to mention passing.

Gearing is the key, don't let anyone take that edge from you before the race starts. IMO

Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 18, 2009 11:31 AM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 18 May 2009 19:33
Most all the liter bikes that have raced me in a roll on have told me they started in second gear ...In fact what i found out later they were in FIRST gear... At 60 to 65 roll my zx14 is in second gear.. I allways let them get the jump so they can't cry about a bad start .. I tell them to go when ready .....What happens is they jump me a bike or two and within seconds i drive by.... Now when i was riding my zx10 i found out why they left in first gear and not second gear .. So when i raced their liter bikes with my zx10 i returned the favor and left in first ..With my zx10 Vs the Gixxers the roll ons were a dead heat , whoever got the jump won .. I could not pull on them and they could not pull on me ... I did not have this problem with either of my zx14s ...It was more of a LA Drive By style shooting than a race ..lol..

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted May 18, 2009 12:01 PM        
Smokin, did you have a pipe on the 08zx10?
Brocks Alien really woke the little bastard up... I was very impressed.
...the owner is scared of it now...LOL

Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted May 18, 2009 12:30 PM        
You NEED to race from a dead stop if your doing a roll on from 65 they have the DOUBLE advantages of a quicker reving motor and substantially less total weight and your fighting a losing battle if your down
  Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted May 18, 2009 12:32 PM        
quote:
quote:
Well,

I will tell you , the 08 zx10 I installed bazzaz, Brocks alien , KN filter and few other little mods will hang right beside a zx14 in any roll on if the roll starts above 5000 rpm on the zx10, up to 150 mph... then the 14 walks away.

Off the line though I would ABSOLUTELY SMASH that zx10 with my zx14.... absolutely impossible to luanch like th 14 without 10 oclock wheelies meaning it would flip over in a retarded fashion if it was launched as violently as the big bike...

Drag racing shows how launchable and powerful the bike is,
roll ons compare power to weight ratio, and mechanical advantage( gearing)
top speed shows outright HP, as weight has no effect.

Yep..................well said Dub!

Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted May 18, 2009 12:35 PM        
quote:
Most all the liter bikes that have raced me in a roll on have told me they started in second gear ...In fact what i found out later they were in FIRST gear... At 60 to 65 roll my zx14 is in second gear.. I allways let them get the jump so they can't cry about a bad start .. I tell them to go when ready .....What happens is they jump me a bike or two and within seconds i drive by.... Now when i was riding my zx10 i found out why they left in first gear and not second gear .. So when i raced their liter bikes with my zx10 i returned the favor and left in first ..With my zx10 Vs the Gixxers the roll ons were a dead heat , whoever got the jump won .. I could not pull on them and they could not pull on me ... I did not have this problem with either of my zx14s ...It was more of a LA Drive By style shooting than a race ..lol..

Smokin are you saying you would crush liter bikes with your 14 from a rollon............................I have to say that really surprises me............granted I have never raced a liter bike from anything but a dead stop but I always thought roll ons was were liter bikes held their greatest advantage over 14's and Busa's.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 18, 2009 02:36 PM        
quote:
Smokin, did you have a pipe on the 08zx10?
Brocks Alien really woke the little bastard up... I was very impressed.
...the owner is scared of it now...LOL
yup piped and tuned..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 18, 2009 02:42 PM        
quote:
quote:

Smokin are you saying you would crush liter bikes with your 14 from a rollon............................I have to say that really surprises me............granted I have never raced a liter bike from anything but a dead stop but I always thought roll ons was were liter bikes held their greatest advantage over 14's and Busa's.
The liter bikes give ME good race from a roll , better than Busa or other bikes ...But i have yet have a liter bike take my zx14 from any speed on a roll on race ..But that's ME ..

Ignore this member   
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2009 05:14 PM        
Another advantage he had on me was the clutchless shifter deal on his bike that makes the shifts in less than 1/2 the time of foot shifting. I'm not trying to offer up excuses, what's done is done, but I totally agree that if the run was made from a dead stop, I'd win without much doubt.

I was just generally impressed with the top end pull of that bike though. Maybe it's a "Wednesday" bike, but no nitrous, I'm positive.

My bike for instance has pulled a 9.83 @ 145.5 mph in the 1/4,,,,, with a 230lb rider, stock height, strapped and -1 on the front sprocket. I've been told by folks on this board that #'s like that are pretty darn good and that's where I basically left it in my head, my bike runs well.

Knowing this was why I was suprised that at the higher speeds, that's when he pulled away as he did. I really didn't expect to win after I had seen the other bikes he had knocked down in the same manner. It was all just for fun. Not even bragging rights. Next time I see him for fun I ask him if he's interested in another run,,,,, measured 1/4 mile, from the dig.

Ignore this member   
LLcooljebb

Expert Class
Upgrade I Must
posted May 18, 2009 07:07 PM        
quote:
Another advantage he had on me was the clutchless shifter deal on his bike that makes the shifts in less than 1/2 the time of foot shifting. I'm not trying to offer up excuses, what's done is done, but I totally agree that if the run was made from a dead stop, I'd win without much doubt.

The Air/quickshifter would be a definite advantage. Liter bikes are really strong in a roll-on, no shame in a loss. Add an air shifter and more gearing, then you might get him. I also don't consider roll-ons an actual "race", more for fun!

Ignore this member   
BIG BLUE_ZX14

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2009 07:18 PM        
I have to side with Smokin on this one. Not that I've done a considerable amount of roll-ons against various liter bikes...however. One of the guys in my riding crew rides a modified GSXR-1000 and we've done many many roll-on races. Our roll-ons usually start at 80mph or so...we look at each other, pause for the cause and then WOT. If he gets on the throttle quicker I real him in and go by. If I get on it first, there is no way he's catching me let alone passing me.

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted May 19, 2009 11:18 AM        
quote:

I was just generally impressed with the top end pull of that bike though. Maybe it's a "Wednesday" bike, but no nitrous, I'm positive.

My bike for instance has pulled a 9.83 @ 145.5 mph in the 1/4,,,,, with a 230lb rider, stock height, strapped and -1 on the front sprocket. I've been told by folks on this board that #'s like that are pretty darn good and that's where I basically left it in my head, my bike runs well.

Knowing this was why I was suprised that at the higher speeds, that's when he pulled away as he did. I really didn't expect to win after I had seen the other bikes he had knocked down in the same manner. It was all just for fun. Not even bragging rights. Next time I see him for fun I ask him if he's interested in another run,,,,, measured 1/4 mile, from the dig.

I knew a guy with a gix1000 that had a big bore kit, higher compression, cams, and a few other invisible mods. All he had on the outside to show was a slip-on, nothing else. The bike looked essentially stock lol He beat most everybody with his "stock" 1000. It was funny stuff to watch
Never believe what somebody tells you, when it comes to racing we all fib a little.....or a lot

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Got my ass handed to me today. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.26199412345886 seconds processing time