HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ECU editing / reflashing NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 21, 2009 01:00 PM        Edited By: dubious on 21 Mar 2009 21:02
ECU editing / reflashing

NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE ZX14 .......YET
they are working on it though!

Man,
I hope this comes our way soon.
It makes the Bazzaz, powercommander and all other piggyback systems look like fisher price toys....

an exceprt from a htread on different board:

"
I haven’t noticed a lot of chatter about the recent development of ECU editor. IMO, this is one of the biggest things to happen to the Hayabusa. ECU Editor is a FREE software (did I mention FREE) allowing you to unlock and reprogram (flash) the stock 02-07 Hayabusa ECU.

So what does ECU Editor allow you to do with the 32bit Hayabusa ECU?

• Ability to view all sensors data with a laptop connected
• Ability to datalog all factory sensors on the motorcycle with a laptop*
• Ability to change fueling maps (both IAP and TPS maps), ram air compensation
• Ability to change ignition maps (you can add timing in the lower gears like a TRE
does without messing up your gear based fuel curves)
• Increase your factory rev limiter
• Remove the 6th gear speed restriction with the click of a button
• Change ram air compensation based on your gearing
• Compensate for larger fuel injectors
• Compensate for increased fuel pressure
• Increase ignition dwell time
• Disable IAT compensation for dyno testing
• Turn your ECU into an ignition / fuel kill box for use with an air/co2 shifter
• Control a shift light, or any RPM based output using the flapper valve circuit
• Switch-able map selection for NOS, different turbo boost levels, fuel types etc
• Share maps with people across the world and contribute to new exciting features
constantly being introduced and implemented.

[SIZE="1"]*Innovate LogWorks plugin required (it's free too)[/SIZE]

So check this out, on my bike not only will I have complete control over fuel and ignition maps but it will also serve as a window switch, TPS, map switcher, data logger, activate my N2O system, eliminate the soft cut limiters and the 6th gear speed restriction. I set the N2O activation parameters as follows: N2O on = Activation switch on (handle bar mounted), TPS >85%, RPM window between 6,200-10,800 and starter button pressed. This is all done with the stock ECU. But it gets even better, at the same time the N2O starts spraying it automatically switches to a secondary fuel and ignition map. A motor map and a spray map with a few degrees of timing pulled that switches on the fly. How cool is that?

I highly encourage you to download the FREE ECU Editor software and have a look. Here are instructions on how to build the interface you’ll need to connect the ecu to a Windows PC. I you're not into DIY electronics than Greg Smith has a plug and play flashing interface built on a printed circuit board. This thing is sick.

Here are some pics of my install

This is the USB flashing device. It has a 3 position switch. When it gets a signal form the PC and the switch is in the center the LED turns red and its ready. Move the switch up, and a second LED turns green and you ready to view dash/sensor data. Flip the switch down, the LED turns blue and you’re in flashing mode.

Here is the harness that connects the ECU to the flashing device above. It can stay on the bike for data logging and trackside flashing. Install took all of about 10 minutes. The 4 wires with the pins (ECU terminals) plug into the ECU connector, the t-tap connector attaches to the dash data wire and remaining terminal goes on the negative battery post.

The brown wire plugs into the connector here

This is the t-tap on the dash data wire and directly to the left is the red, orange and yellow wires I plugged into the ECU connector.

This is a bench flashing harness. With this you can take the ECU off the bike and flash it on the bench.

Here is the plug and play N2O harness. 1 wire plugs into the ECU connector for Map switching, one connector attaches to the flapper valve solenoid, you have a positive and a negative battery connection, a toggle switch and a connector that plugs into the N20 solenoid. That's it!

Here is the ECU flashing harness installed on the bike.
(Notice the little white plug under the hump)

Plug it into the laptop, launch the ECU Editor software and I’m viewing sensor data and ready to flash.

Screenshots of the Software

Tutorial Videos

Basic Fuel / Ignition / Rev Limiter Changes

More Advanced Nitrous Tuning using MS feature, window, wot,etc.

At this time I would like to thank PetriK , our friend from across the pond who has spent countess hours deciphering the code to unlock the full potential of the 32bit Hayabusa ECU, developing the ECU editor program and giving it to all of us for FREE. The late DaveO for all his research and development of the software and Greg (BoostBy) Smith for developing a user friendly interface making it easy to use and install without an EE degree.

"
end quote

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2009 01:06 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 21 Mar 2009 21:07
Excellent...I will have to get one of these for the Busa. We have a Dave O flashed ECU (came off of Charlie A's 259 mph bike). I'd like to lower the rev limiter on it because the stock rods will likely fail before the limiter hits.

Would be fantastic to have this setup for the 14 as well...

Shane

Ignore this member   
SubZer0

Novice Class
posted March 21, 2009 01:21 PM        
Looks like it works just like the race tuner for my Harley but not a restrictive. I hope they do make one for the 14, I hate all of the piggyback crap, all the more to go wrong.
  Ignore this member   
LandspeedLarry

Expert Class
posted March 21, 2009 03:00 PM        
The reflasher is half the price of a PowerCommander. Actually since it can also do ignition timing it is 1/4 the price. And reliability is the same as OEM; something that cannot be said for the Dyno s**t. LSL

Ignore this member   
JDC

Zone Head
posted March 21, 2009 05:30 PM        
I think the only down side would be if you nuke your chip.. as can happen, rarely, but can happen when flashing. That'll be an expensive fix.

now.. I am all for flashing in the truth of it.

But I wonder really how much benefit you'll really get, cause seems like Kawa did a really fine job with timing and overall mapping 9on my 08 at least). I don't suspect there will be any real big performance changes... but if a racing you go, that would probably be worth it for the few extra HP/TTD

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 21, 2009 06:37 PM        Edited By: dubious on 22 Mar 2009 02:40
Ability to view all sensors data with a laptop connected
• Ability to datalog all factory sensors on the motorcycle with a laptop*
• Ability to change fueling maps (both IAP and TPS maps), ram air compensation
• Ability to change ignition maps (you can add timing in the lower gears like a TRE
does without messing up your gear based fuel curves)
• Increase your factory rev limiter
• Remove the 6th gear speed restriction with the click of a button
• Change ram air compensation based on your gearing
• Compensate for larger fuel injectors
• Compensate for increased fuel pressure
• Increase ignition dwell time
• Disable IAT compensation for dyno testing
• Turn your ECU into an ignition / fuel kill box for use with an air/co2 shifter
• Control a shift light, or any RPM based output using the flapper valve circuit
• Switch-able map selection for NOS, different turbo boost levels, fuel types etc
• Share maps with people across the world and contribute to new exciting features
constantly being introduced and implemented.

[SIZE="1"]*Innovate LogWorks plugin required (it's free too)[/SIZE]

So check this out, on my bike not only will I have complete control over fuel and ignition maps but it will also serve as a window switch, TPS, map switcher, data logger, activate my N2O system, eliminate the soft cut limiters and the 6th gear speed restriction. I set the N2O activation parameters as follows: N2O on = Activation switch on (handle bar mounted), TPS >85%, RPM window between 6,200-10,800 and starter button pressed. This is all done with the stock ECU. But it gets even better, at the same time the N2O starts spraying it automatically switches to a secondary fuel and ignition map. A motor map and a spray map with a few degrees of timing pulled that switches on the fly. How cool is that?

fuel map control, ignition map control, map switch, autoshift activation, datalogging, speed limiter removal...etc

It would replace a PC3, Bazzaz or PC5, SB6, speedohealer, and well over $700 worth of Innovate products.
Thats EASILLY well over $1000 worth of inferior equipment

Ignore this member   
TurboBike

Expert Class
posted March 25, 2009 09:48 PM        
I use the ECU flasher from Greg and Petrik on my 06 Busa. I also use the nitrous harness as well and eliminating the Window switch and WOT switch sure cleans up the bike.

The sofware is very easy to use and tuning isn't hard, of course a WB and/or dyno is necessary to do it right.

It works good but the software is still limited as Petrik hasn't opened the door for a lot of the other possibilities. For now it is enough for most of us including myself. It will be utilized once the turbo is put on. Should be interesting.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 26, 2009 06:26 AM        
Would love to clean up the extra electronics on my bike.
Their software looks good too.

Ignore this member   
gpz1100

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2009 03:01 PM        
This would make a welcome method of reprogramming the ecu without the hassle of pc3/5/etc.
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 26, 2009 03:23 PM        

exactly

Ignore this member   
zx6reaker

Expert Class
D&D's, Frame sliders, pcIII
posted March 26, 2009 03:28 PM        
WOW, is this something a moron could do? Not that I'm a moron but not that far from it.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 26, 2009 03:31 PM        
I think its a bit more involved and complicated then being moron proof.
That said, the computer techno wienie wizards would be much better off than the typical wrenchheads....

Meaning flashing and managing software would become the most involved aspect, instead of actually working on the bike with hand tools.

depends which way your smart I guess.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted March 26, 2009 03:34 PM        
me want me want
  Ignore this member   
zx6reaker

Expert Class
D&D's, Frame sliders, pcIII
posted March 26, 2009 03:39 PM        
So anyone in florida work on these things.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 26, 2009 03:40 PM        
I want to get rid of the rats nest of wires...
Start adding data logging , bazzaz, sb6, larger fuel lines, external pump, air shifter, turbo, secondary injectors and standalone driver, speedo healer etc etc... thats one mess of wires and a big expense...

This is the way of the future, and it just can't come soon enough for me.

Ignore this member   
Evilsports

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2009 04:06 PM        
We need to get a guy, or guys on this. It's beyond me, but I would have no problem sourcing a salvage ECU for someone to tinker with. Hell, if the situation was trustworthy I'd even donate a few bucks to the guys cause. Think of the possibilities and money/time/space saving potential!
  Ignore this member   
Evilsports

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2009 04:09 PM        Edited By: Evilsports on 27 Mar 2009 00:11
I just sent an email to a guy I know with two salvage 14's and will see about picking up the ECU's. Someone needs to get a hold of the guru's and get a PO box or something from them for possible shipping. I'm just assuming these guys work out of a blacked out basement that smells of solder, and are keeping everything as discreet as possible.
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 26, 2009 07:14 PM        
does he have a harness?
I am looking for a second harness to play with.....

Ignore this member   
Evilsports

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2009 07:38 PM        
I just heard back from him and they don't have ECU's I'll check about the harness..
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 31, 2009 07:21 AM        
I thought there was some issue where the 14 ECU is locked, so you can't just simply reflash it without some surgery to the ECU?

Anyone know any more details?

Ignore this member   
jarhead

Expert Class
posted March 31, 2009 07:12 PM        
Hey dub, is Greg out of Marsall, Mi? If so I have met him a few times, he helped me quite a bit with my turbo bike. Good guy!
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 31, 2009 07:25 PM        
I don't know, I just was scouring the latest tech on the net and stumbled across this...
Was dreaming, and hoping with enough demand ours might get this some day sooner rather than later... LOL

Ignore this member   
2000redrocket

Pro
posted April 01, 2009 05:22 PM        
from what i know it has been done on the mitsu ecu. over the pond and he ain't selling it cheep. more for a speed shop then us for now. it will happen some day. just sucks the pool of programers riding bikes that can do this have a better chance to be on a busa. plus susike stayed with the denso ecu. the 04,05 zx12s should be able to flash like the 32 bit busas but there was not a need to notch one up and get the maps. it sucks being the under dog now.
i am flashing my zx12r but there will never be nos window switches and trick stuff cause there is not anyone needing to do it. it is nice the 32bit ecu can be done from the harnes.
i am happy i am powercommander free. got the muzzy setup running good. this year i am playing with timing numbers.

Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted August 13, 2009 07:53 AM        Edited By: NINJA12 on 13 Aug 2009 15:54
It our time, can anyone help out.
http://psychobike.com/forums/kawasaki-zx12r-zx14/25855-reflashing-zx14.html

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted August 13, 2009 08:01 AM        

Lets get it done!
Everyone benfits but the competition with this one!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ECU editing / reflashing NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.750460863113 seconds processing time