HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Second Fan NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
makenna

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2009 02:06 PM        
Second Fan

Does anyone have any experience with the ZX-14 second fan kit that can be found at

[/url]https://www.zx14.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=480&osCsid=5vp50f83o97po3ot8j9o9o9sc5[/url]

Ignore this member   
Red1

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2009 03:57 PM        Edited By: Red1 on 2 Mar 2009 22:57
Makenna,

I think that might be an old ad. The last ad I saw from HPC on a second fan was $200 - $250 which is a ridiculious price. $50 is probably about the right price for a fan considering Muzzy's is around $60. The extra $150 t0 $200 is markup ( greed - pure profit ).

If you find the fan is still $49 please let us all know. :-)

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted March 02, 2009 04:15 PM        
you don't need it
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 02, 2009 05:16 PM        
quote:
you don't need it

I disagree...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
NoFault

Novice Class
posted March 02, 2009 07:11 PM        
Why? ... Why not?... I was looking at that fan myself... Easy and cheap and may keep the temps down in trafffic..... Or atleast cool it back down a little faster...
1999 Yamaha R1 (You are Missed)
1996 ZX7R
1989 Honda Hurricane (Rem those)

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted March 02, 2009 07:21 PM        
unlike fish i have owned a zx-14 for three years and over ten thousand miles. not once have i had an overheating issue and i live in steamy florida. i know half a dozen other guys first hand with zx-14s that have never had an over heat problem, ever. somehow fish riding in full black leathers in the hot desert ......................saw a mirage........
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted March 02, 2009 07:31 PM        
When you say "overheat" do you mean you have never had the temp to start blinking or you have never had all 4 bars showing??? I'm in s ga and I hit 4 bars in the summer in traffic, I don't know the exact temp, but that's too damn high! I wouldn't mind another fan too...

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted March 02, 2009 07:35 PM        
never blinked,never spit or lost fluid, i have a aftermarket exhaust that helps, and mapping with more fuel that may help as well. my temp gauge stays a bar from the top at worst in traffic. i use engine ice as well but the temp seems the same as the stock fluid.

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted March 02, 2009 07:37 PM        
I've overheated twice.
On the dyno - to be expected.....flashing dash.
And once after 30mins of nonstop 8000+RPM and then a shutdown w/o waiting to cool. It puked some coolant.

Even around Laguna Seca at 150+ track temps it was fine....but I wasn't :-/

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted March 02, 2009 07:39 PM        
it must be the motul full syn i use, lets make this an oil thread

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted March 02, 2009 08:53 PM        
I just added a second fan last weekend. I got a fan on feebay for cheap. I have read all the pros and cons and I agree (other than coolant spills,high temp), there's easily no problem. The concours has a second fan and I figured it cant hurt. I decided to run a relay triggered by the stock fan and powered by the battery and an inline fuse. This way the temp stays hot 220-240? but cools faster when on.
While doing this I found several places for hot air to get around and dump on the legs. I had some foam that was just like the stock stuff and put that in spots without getting carried away. I'd like to add a gauge or at least measure the actual water temp while riding just to see if the stock temp gauge is way off. Then I'll put tape on the stock gauge and forget about it. This mod was more about something to fuck with than "fixing " an imaginary problem. So if you feel like telling me to quit worrying and ride, bite me ok
The 10 fender mod is next just because I can.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted March 02, 2009 08:57 PM        
quote:
Makenna,

I think that might be an old ad. The last ad I saw from HPC on a second fan was $200 - $250 which is a ridiculious price. $50 is probably about the right price for a fan considering Muzzy's is around $60. The extra $150 t0 $200 is markup ( greed - pure profit ).

If you find the fan is still $49 please let us all know. :-)

Muzzy has a fan Blade Only. HPC is a second 12 volt motor and complete fan. $250.00
is too much.

Ignore this member   
Old Guy

Expert Class
posted March 02, 2009 09:15 PM        
I added a manual switch to my stock fan and flip it on as soon as I get in traffic. Keeps mine to 2-3 bars.
Had a problem after I added the cox screen to the radiator. coolant spills and 4 bar readings.

Changing to "Engine Ice", removing the black fins on the fender, and the switch solved it for Me.
pcIII w/custom map
NO freakin flies!!
GP suspension forks
Penske rear shock
Rich's custom seat
And a whole bunch of other stuff.

97 zx6r full race bike with all the
good stuff

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 02, 2009 10:24 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 3 Mar 2009 05:26
I've run 3 zx-14s... had all 3 of them over heat many times... two of them dumped all their coolant, stranding us ...

please read the long term test stickied to the top of this forum.. it's more involved than just a missing cooling fan...

Kawi cheaped out on this bike - they eliminated the additional sensors the ZX-12R had which kept the cooling fans on the zx-12r running when the bike was shut off... they saved money, but put their customers at risk gambling that none of them ever get caught in extreme heat conditions.

It's my bone to pick with this bike... it could have really fucked us up badly, being caught in the heat the way we were... I would have expected (and still do) better from Kawasaki on this... I've owned dozens of bikes and none display this trait... it's unique to the ZX-14, and it's a drag because it taints an otherwise ideal motorcycle.

To make matters worse, Kawi's done their best to sweep all of it under the carpet, one of their staff members even created an account posing as a new member on this site to discredit that story (yes kawi - we DO track that stuff) .. then they spent a good 6 months running around to anyone they could telling them that we modified the bikes somehow and created their heat issue on purpose...

Tomorrow I'll dig up some lovely photos of coolant pouring out of zx-14s... they're embedded in the PDF in the sticky but I'll find direct links...

anyways.. .like I tell anyone who rides this bike.. if you plan on riding in the heat, prep the bike...

if you havent prepped the bike and you've gotten lucky.. then that's it... you've gotten lucky as far as I'm concerned...

FYI.. to make matters worse we've taken an '08 busa in the same conditions and it performed flawlessly.

maybe kawi underestimated all of us and never expected us to actually ride the zx-14 farther than the local starbucks

smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 02, 2009 11:06 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 3 Mar 2009 06:21
quote:
I've run 3 zx-14s... had all 3 of them over heat many times... two of them dumped all their coolant, stranding us ...

please read the long term test stickied to the top of this forum.. it's more involved than just a missing cooling fan...

Kawi cheaped out on this bike - they eliminated the additional sensors the ZX-12R had which kept the cooling fans on the zx-12r running when the bike was shut off... they saved money, but put their customers at risk gambling that none of them ever get caught in extreme heat conditions.

It's my bone to pick with this bike... it could have really fucked us up badly, being caught in the heat the way we were... I would have expected (and still do) better from Kawasaki on this... I've owned dozens of bikes and none display this trait... it's unique to the ZX-14, and it's a drag because it taints an otherwise ideal motorcycle.

To make matters worse, Kawi's done their best to sweep all of it under the carpet, one of their staff members even created an account posing as a new member on this site to discredit that story (yes kawi - we DO track that stuff) .. then they spent a good 6 months running around to anyone they could telling them that we modified the bikes somehow and created their heat issue on purpose...

Tomorrow I'll dig up some lovely photos of coolant pouring out of zx-14s... they're embedded in the PDF in the sticky but I'll find direct links...

anyways.. .like I tell anyone who rides this bike.. if you plan on riding in the heat, prep the bike...

if you havent prepped the bike and you've gotten lucky.. then that's it... you've gotten lucky as far as I'm concerned...

FYI.. to make matters worse we've taken an '08 busa in the same conditions and it performed flawlessly.

maybe kawi underestimated all of us and never expected us to actually ride the zx-14 farther than the local starbucks

Well i guess you never had a 99 to 07 busa..Well my new 05 Busa over heated on the ride home from the dealer and puked water everywhere ... Everytime i go to bike week i see them puking water everywhere while stuck in traffic ... And to top that off the battery goes dead running the fan ... I'm riding my zx14 in the FL heat stuck in traffic i have to ride around the puddles left by the Busas ... And yes i read your long term story , by the way if it was long term you would still be riding it .. If the 06 zx14 such a crappy bike why did CWs long term test say it was best pound for pound , dollar for dollar best bike on the market ....We all know you hated the zx14 from day one and it's getting a bit old hearing it all the time ..

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted March 03, 2009 01:16 AM        Edited By: Ninja14 on 3 Mar 2009 08:18
Where is my popcorn.........

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 03, 2009 07:52 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 3 Mar 2009 14:53
quote:
We all know you hated the zx14 from day one and it's getting a bit old hearing it all the time ..

??? Give me a break ....

right... hey... I hear they're handing out free crack just down the street .. you might want to go and get some cuz your pipe's empty

as for the print mags... well ... I guess they're better at doing what they are told than bikeland is.

NoFault

Novice Class
posted March 03, 2009 08:14 AM        
quote:
quote:
We all know you hated the zx14 from day one and it's getting a bit old hearing it all the time ..

??? Give me a break ....

right... hey... I hear they're handing out free crack just down the street .. you might want to go and get some cuz your pipe's empty

as for the print mags... well ... I guess they're better at doing what they are told than bikeland is.

ROFL .....
Nice attempt to back pedal.. But Pathetic none the less.. Are you saying that you are more credible than CW? That you have more of a reputation to protect than CW? Get off your imaginary horse already will ya.. You run a great forum don’t taint yourself with lame ass comments....
You run out of ways to be professional and jump to school yard rips due to your lack of substance.

1996 ZX7R

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 03, 2009 08:23 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 3 Mar 2009 16:07
quote:
quote:
quote:

??? Give me a break ....

ROFL .....
Nice attempt to back pedal.. But Pathetic none the less.. Are you saying that you are more credible than CW? That you have more of a reputation to protect than CW? Get off your imaginary horse already will ya.. You run a great forum don’t taint yourself with lame ass comments....
You run out of ways to be professional and jump to school yard rips due to your lack of substance.

I certainly never said that, however I am privy to a certain amount of information with specific regards to this and how it was handled by Kawasaki... When the 1st long term reports came out, the heat issue was glossed over by all but 2 mags, who made veiled references to it...

I can tell you, without a doubt, that Bikeland didnt listen as well as the print mags did.

If you want to meet me for a beer, I'll be happy to tell you the story.

NoFault

Novice Class
posted March 03, 2009 08:31 AM        
Funny thing is I for the most would agree with you. The bike does run hotter than it should; it also seems to be just fine with that. I think a second fan is needed and I also think a switch to keep the fan running for a few minutes after shut down is needed, for those of us that ride in hotter climates with the chance of being stuck in traffic.
My point was concerning your credibility, and due to your comments (in other places on this forum as well) it does not seem to be worth as much as your members credibility is. That’s all.. And if you’re coming to Daytona I would like a Mic light...
1996 ZX7R

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 03, 2009 08:35 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 3 Mar 2009 15:43
Not this year... can't make it... you can drop me an email with a phone # if you want and I'd be happy to chat about. fish_antlers (at) bikeland.org

(also, please understand that I need to walk a fine line between fisherman, and admin on the site ... however I'm being serious with regards to this subject ... I'm taking off my fishing hat for it )

- this is all I'm going to say on the subject... carry on...

SteveWFL

posted March 03, 2009 08:56 AM        
I ran a ZX14 in scorching Florida for 2 summers in downtown traffic with no overheating issues to report.

An additional second fan kicking on at 220 degrees would've made the bike cooler faster (once the fans kicked on at 220), but the one fan prevented it from overheating.

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted March 03, 2009 09:02 AM        
quote:
Funny thing is I for the most would agree with you. The bike does run hotter than it should; it also seems to be just fine with that. I think a second fan is needed and I also think a switch to keep the fan running for a few minutes after shut down is needed, for those of us that ride in hotter climates with the chance of being stuck in traffic.
My point was concerning your credibility, and due to your comments (in other places on this forum as well) it does not seem to be worth as much as your members credibility is. That’s all.. And if you’re coming to Daytona I would like a Mic light...

I just got off the phone with Greg at HPC and ordered the $50.00 fan, the $250.00 fan has a stat, relay etc for race bikes that you can set what temp you want the fan to turn on at.

The 7" fan for $50.00 links into the wires of our stock fan. Greg said this will keep the ZX-14
under 4 bars in traffic. I live in the DFW area in Texas and get caught in stop and go traffic a lot. I have no idea if this ZX-14 I have had for 2 months will run hot or not but for $50.00 I will try it.

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted March 03, 2009 09:17 AM        
If I ever got to the end of a ride and it was hotter than I liked I would sit and wait for the fan to finish its work.......bad design.

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted March 03, 2009 10:50 AM        
like i said never a problem. the 06 zx-14 is a keeper.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Second Fan NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.808392047882 seconds processing time