HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Rim Mounted Brakes NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Sigma14

Expert Class
posted December 14, 2008 07:05 AM        
Rim Mounted Brakes

Anyone know if someone sells a rim monted front rotors for the 14?

Ignore this member   
NYC ZX-14

Expert Class
Manager Star Toyota Bayside,NY
posted December 14, 2008 08:05 AM        
Not sure how well that would work as I BELIEVE the rims may flex slightly during aggressive riding which would cause problems with the rotor inadvertantly contacting the pads/caliper not to mention the sudden stop you would experience should you happen to bend the rim after hitting something accidentally.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit NYC ZX-14's homepage. 
countersteer

Needs a job
Didn't read the owners manual
posted December 14, 2008 11:06 AM        

Ignore this member    Click here to visit countersteer's homepage. 
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted December 14, 2008 11:57 AM        
Buell's been that way for years now.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
NYC ZX-14

Expert Class
Manager Star Toyota Bayside,NY
posted December 14, 2008 01:55 PM        
Guess it DOES work lol. I still don't think it's a great idea though. :oP

Ignore this member    Click here to visit NYC ZX-14's homepage. 
BobC

Pro
posted December 15, 2008 12:44 AM        
The velocity of the rotor will be higher and the gyroscopic force will be higher too. If they were that good wouldn't all the manufacturers use rim brakes? What are the pros and cons?

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted December 15, 2008 12:59 AM        
I would think that they would stay a lot cooler since there is more surface area. On the other hand, I would also think that they would be heavier.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted December 15, 2008 01:11 AM        
quote:
The velocity of the rotor will be higher and the gyroscopic force will be higher too. If they were that good wouldn't all the manufacturers use rim brakes? What are the pros and cons?

Actually you got it backwards: they are lighter, both unsprung weight and less rotating weight/gyroscopic effect. The calipers and pads can be quite a bit smaller/lighter, and though the rotor itself is larger by maybe 1/5th, its also skinnier AND fastens directly to the rim without a solid support base like conventional rotors require to fasten too.

Only catch? Well, that appears to be a cost factor. Conventional is cheaper, and the Japanese and Europeans would rather eat stinky cheese and raw fish than copy a Buell/Harley idea. Whats that? Oh, they already eat that shi'ite?! No friggin wonder....
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted December 15, 2008 04:20 AM        
sticks you feel the Buell sports a better design? If so, why aren't the pro teams with uber-deep pockets using it to stop their bikes? just curious
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted December 15, 2008 04:36 AM        
quote:
sticks you feel the Buell sports a better design? If so, why aren't the pro teams with uber-deep pockets using it to stop their bikes? just curious

Good question. Maybe because they would then be expected to put it on a production based bike then? Or maybe under racing conditions, the disk would have to be heavier duty to handle the heat which would make it heavier than a conventional setup negating any benefits.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
117 in a 30

Novice Class
posted December 15, 2008 05:32 AM        
cost? like $700-800 for stock 14 fronts is cheap,considering i bought my bike used w 1800 miles ,they were warped when i got it, not bad, but enough they squeek and you can feel it. about 10,000 out both of them
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted December 15, 2008 02:21 PM        Edited By: dubious on 16 Dec 2008 05:21
quote:
quote:

Actually you got it backwards: they are lighter, both unsprung weight and less rotating weight/gyroscopic effect. The calipers and pads can be quite a bit smaller/lighter, and though the rotor itself is larger by maybe 1/5th, its also skinnier AND fastens directly to the rim without a solid support base like conventional rotors require to fasten too.

Only catch? Well, that appears to be a cost factor. Conventional is cheaper, and the Japanese and Europeans would rather eat stinky cheese and raw fish than copy a Buell/Harley idea. Whats that? Oh, they already eat that shi'ite?! No friggin wonder....

stix...
the gyroscopic effect is relative to weight, and more so the distance from center axis(centrugal force produced)
rotating weight has a huge effect, but the further from the axle the more pronounced it is.
The factory bikes would run them if they were better.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted December 15, 2008 06:14 PM        
quote:

stix...
the gyroscopic effect is relative to weight, and more so the distance from center axis(centrugal force produced)
rotating weight has a huge effect, but the further from the axle the more pronounced it is.
The factory bikes would run them if they were better.

Agreed!

No way factory bikes would have inferior equipment on their bikes! They almost all have v4s yet no manufacturer (besides ducati (the vfr doesn't could cause it's not a sport bike)) has had the balls to make that.

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 02:54 AM        
Hmm. Looks like Motorcyclist magazine agrees with you guys- though they did state earlier in the article that the Buell setup reduces reciprocating AND rotating inertia due to it only requiring ONE disk up front. My bet is they only went with ONE disk because TWO would have made it heavier than a conventional setup, which would mean that Eric Buell was an idiot. Instead, they delayed that question for another day...

Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
countersteer

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 03:01 AM        
sticks, you should at least know wtf youre talking about before you post up complete bullshit. i cant even keep track of all your know-it-all posts, you talk as if youre some kind of expert only to be shut down and corrected by others.

this is becoming a habitual thing, but i guess you cant fix stupid.

Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 03:10 AM        
Hey jackass, show me where I'm wrong in what I stated. I was going off what I've read in the past, and heard from Buell owners. And technically, I'm correct: the Buell XB setup is better from a weight standpoint. Too bad it appears to be no better than taking one rotor off a conventional modern bikes front. Saving weight for substandard performance.

If you know better, which you 'obviously do', why didnt you post up on this thread sooner?? I myself waited a day to see what would come out of the woodwork first. You simply waited to insult someone. F**ing typical of you.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
countersteer

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 03:17 AM        
if i dont know something then i wont post up as if im an expert on the topic. i cant imagine what it feels like to be you, humiliated and humbled every time you speak and then get proven wrong. you are a complete idiot and should resign from posting as you dont know what the fuck youre talking about.

Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 03:43 AM        
yet another personal attack without any substance. Tell me where my statement was fundamentally wrong? And also, tell me where you have to be an expert before you can post? Does that make you a shrink? Should we start calling you Dr. Countersteer?

One another note: "i cant imagine what it feels like to be you, humiliated and humbled every time you speak ". Are you so week skinned and feeble minded that if someone were to show you to be marginally incorrect (like I was here), or even flat out wrong, that it would 'Humiliate' or 'Humble' you??? Because the only way most of the guys on here, including myself, would be humiliated normally is if we blatantly lied or fabricated facts.

You can let go of your balls now. Contrary to your fears, they wont fall off and roll away- men actually spend there whole lives with them hanging free on there own.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
countersteer

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 03:55 AM        Edited By: countersteer on 16 Dec 2008 18:59
sticks, at one point i thought you were an OK dude but your ridiculous posts led me to believe otherwise. one thing i cant stand is misinformation, and you spew this shit on a regular basis. i dont have the patience to research every one of your bullshit ramblings to make my point, but perhaps you should consider not giving out advice or information unless you know its correct. do some fact checking to back yourself up instead of being an embarrassment.

ive said this before, but HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU A BOEING SAFETY INSPECTOR? its no wonder the airlines are hurting these days, theyve got fucking retards working for them.

kaw now

Expert Class
posted December 16, 2008 05:05 AM        
QUOTE from countersteer: ive said this before, but HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU A BOEING SAFETY INSPECTOR? its no wonder the airlines are hurting these days, theyve got fucking retards working for them.
Looks like you are full of bull Boeing isn't an airline they are a manufacturer. Never heard of Boeing airlines.

Ignore this member   
Obba

Expert Class
posted December 16, 2008 06:34 AM        
I've read what Sticks has said and i don't find anything wrong with it. He took the trouble to find links and even mentioned that the info didn't fit in as he thought it should.

Countersteer, i think you went over the top on this one.

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted December 16, 2008 06:52 AM        Edited By: Sticks_n_Stones on 16 Dec 2008 21:52
mehhh, Countersteer is wrong, but not THAT wrong. There have been times I've opened my yapper when I should have studied up more on the subject, true. But that doesnt excuse his attacks both here and on other threads, or change the fact that I'm normally either in the ballpark or dead center on subjects I post on- unless I'm just adding humor to the post. (Note that I never said "good" humor)

Funny thing is, as I've told the bonehead before, we'd probably be friends if we ever met in person! lol
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted December 16, 2008 09:00 AM        Edited By: gilberjj on 17 Dec 2008 00:03
well ive met stix in person and we post on a lot of the same topics on this forum and another. yes, he believes everything that he has is the best, or at least he portrays it on the forums, but it is mostly in a jokeing manner. stix is always poking at the brocks guys (he is a muzzy guy) just to get a rise out of them.
countersteer, this is a public forum, take it easy on the personal attacks. sure we dont want a bunch of know-it-alls, but stix is a good guy. perhaps if you met him in person your opinion would change. i bet you could learn a thing or 2 about riding from him too, not that he needs to hear it but he can toss the 14, especially for being a big guy!

edit: take it for what it is

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted December 16, 2008 10:44 AM        
i got to admit this thread is educational in more ways than one
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted December 16, 2008 11:08 AM        
quote:
mehhh, Countersteer is wrong, but not THAT wrong. There have been times I've opened my yapper when I should have studied up more on the subject, true. But that doesnt excuse his attacks both here and on other threads, or change the fact that I'm normally either in the ballpark or dead center on subjects I post on- unless I'm just adding humor to the post. (Note that I never said "good" humor)

Funny thing is, as I've told the bonehead before, we'd probably be friends if we ever met in person! lol

Met in person, or in prison? LOL...just yanking yer chain Sticks. Many have been subject to Scott's spew around here -- he's ok, but just oogles to point out things that he feels are wrong...he's got a bone to pick with everyone at one time or another, but then, so do I...

Wanna piss him off? Diss his always-blown-up-rat-ass ZX12 that looks like the king of Blingmobiles...that'll really get him goin'!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Rim Mounted Brakes NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.49060606956482 seconds processing time