HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2009 SUSPENSION STILL SOFT? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted November 19, 2008 09:49 PM        
2009 SUSPENSION STILL SOFT?

I have a club member who is highly interested in getting off of his 2006 CBR 1000 RR and geting into a new 14 but I am curious for his sake to know if the suspension on the 2009 is still soft like the earlier models? He is the type that like cornering and obviously coming off of the RR he will lose to some extent but I'm trying to get him to cross over to Kawi by any means necessary, lol.
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit butta4hc's homepage. 
BobC

Pro
posted November 20, 2008 05:20 AM        Edited By: BobC on 20 Nov 2008 14:57
I don't think the 06/07/08 ZX-14 suspension is soft for a sport-tourer with a dry weight of 480lbs. If you set the sag correctly for your body weight it's just fine. Don't go comparing it with a track-tool like the CBR, it's not the same kind of machine at all.

I have not heard of any suspension changes for 2009.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted November 20, 2008 08:35 AM        
The front suspension of mine and many others on this board have been known to be very spongy. Sometimes even bottoming out for what seems t obe not a good reason. I'm 200lbs and have tried to set the front in every conceivable way but I still get the same results. If someone in the North Jersey are is a suspension guru lemme know. My member is 130-140 lbs so he may not have this issue but anything beeter than the pre-2009 seetings would be nice in his opinion.
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

BobC

Pro
posted November 20, 2008 11:10 AM        
I'm around 196lbs in shorts and my bike doesn't bottom out. Sounds like a lack of compression damping could be the culprit.

Ignore this member   
KawaBonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted November 20, 2008 11:13 AM        
I found that the 08 and 09 suspensions were almost identical.

My 09 sat too low for me, had too much sag. I took it into our local performance shop who do all the trackside setups and sponsorships for ama racers and such.

Evan Steel Performance ... Evan setup my bike a lot better than stock by firming it up a bit. I'm 230 fully geared for a ride. I like it better now than before, doesn't dive into corners due to soft frontend and cattle guards and train tracks no longer rattle my teeth lose.

So in summary, I'd say my 08/09 was too soft for me, but it's a "per rider" thing really.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit KawaBonzai's homepage. 
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted November 20, 2008 01:28 PM        
Does anyone in my weight range have a bearing on all of their front suspension settings top and bottom? Maybe I can adjust to what someone else has to see if it works for me. I'm at a loss unless I get to a good suspension guy.

bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted November 20, 2008 04:15 PM        
start off by screwing the pre load adjusters(think thats what they are called) all the way in on top til they are level with the top of the fork. that will stiffen it up. push the forks up and down and then adjust the damping to slow it down a bit but not so much that it would not follow road contours. i also increased the tension on the rear spring by tightening the adjustment on top of the shock. adjusted the dampimg there as well. i rode mine with the settings done by me for a while. then i went with steve to kinetic motorsports in hudson. the guy there chad did measurements and set it up as close as possible for me at 260. he said the stiffness was good up front but i had the damping adjusted too tight. anyway he did his magic and the bike is less wheely prone and handles the corners better as well. if you can't get a feel for it get someone to help you,
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted November 20, 2008 11:16 PM        
The ball-park figure for sag is about 1.2 inches or 30mm. Not sure if winding the preload right in is the way to go but he's right about getting expert help if you're not sure about setting it yourself.

Ignore this member   
Bluebyyou

Expert Class
Gettin My Curve On
posted November 21, 2008 04:32 AM        Edited By: Bluebyyou on 21 Nov 2008 12:34
I'm big and my suspension has never bottomed out or felt spongy. You need to adjust and tweek it out. Here ya go: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html

Sorry, the link for some reason it won't go live when I post it.

Ignore this member   
KawaBonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted November 21, 2008 09:16 AM        
quote:
The ball-park figure for sag is about 1.2 inches or 30mm. Not sure if winding the preload right in is the way to go but he's right about getting expert help if you're not sure about setting it yourself.

Bob's right, 30mm. My stock 09 with me @ 230 suited sagged at 50mm. There is only so much you can do with spring tension, it really needs a stiffer spring in the rear.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit KawaBonzai's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2009 SUSPENSION STILL SOFT? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2188081741333 seconds processing time