HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 1st gear wheelie problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: 1st gear wheelie problems [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ]
rich s

quote:
my bike is WAAAAAAAAAAY more manageable with the flies removed. Before, i would have to launch out at 5500rpm, and then when it hit 6-7 grand it would stand straight up. Now i can leave out at a lower rpm and slide the clutch without it wheelying bad. I am a firm believer that for drag racing, the flies removed makes the bike easier to ride. HOWEVER comma... on the street, i can wheelie or spin on demand lol.

Some of you guys crack me up but this response was what I was looking for. Thanks for the insight. That 6-7 grand can be a real bummer if you are not used to it. By the sounds of it I am not the only one that had/is having problems with it. Do any of you have times with flies to without flies without any other modifications besides the power commander? Other then the bike being more managable, how much difference did you see on the track?

BTW, my left wrist is not a problem. I have been married for 11 years so it is the strongest part of my body

Ignore this member   
bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted September 26, 2008 06:07 AM        
I really didn't run any faster by just removing the flies, but I ran more consistent. If you want to really eliminate the problem, put a set of lowering bones and strap the front. That alone should knock off a tenth or so off of your average clean pass, and it is a big big confidence booster. I'm poor, so when I do have money for mods, it's not very much. I can definitely say that that's the best money I've spent so far.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
BobC

Pro
posted September 26, 2008 06:27 AM        Edited By: BobC on 26 Sep 2008 13:34
Rich, I don't want to insult you but what made you think you should be able to ride the ZX-14 in 1st gear on a wide open throttle?

You asked for any thoughts. My bike is lowered and strapped, running stock wheelbase and I have to use a fair bit of throttle control to prevent a wheelie, opening it progressively to keep the bike going forward rather than upwards. I get onto WOT in 2nd.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
kimski2001

Expert Class
posted September 26, 2008 06:45 AM        
quote:
a couple of you are saying that you can spin the tire in first gear. my bike NEVER spins the tire and i'm using a hard compound avon storm. plz explain yourself. i can get it to step out a little when ham fisting it coming out of a corner in 2nd, but if im going straight, the bike does not spin the tire.
Whack the throttle and that thing should GO CRAZY!

Ignore this member   
rich s

quote:
Rich, I don't want to insult you but what made you think you should be able to ride the ZX-14 in 1st gear on a wide open throttle?

You asked for any thoughts. My bike is lowered and strapped, running stock wheelbase and I have to use a fair bit of throttle control to prevent a wheelie, opening it progressively to keep the bike going forward rather than upwards. I get onto WOT in 2nd.

This is EXACTLY how I ride now. Thanks for the response. My original question should have been worded differently. Thanks for all the replies and I know what I must do!

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted September 26, 2008 08:55 AM        
You still didnt tell us how your 14 is set up???

How can we help you if you dont help us???

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
rich s

Bone stock.
  Ignore this member   
pazx14rider

Zone Head
posted September 26, 2008 01:26 PM        
Rich i was running 9.86 in the quarter consistantly with a stock suspension set-up. i was spinning bad when the track was cold not so much when there is heat in the track. Recently i strapped the front and first pass cracked a 9.68 quarter, then track cooled off and getting alot of wheelspin. even with the strap if i pin it to WOT in second with the strap it will do a hell of a wheelie. No strap...wheelie first second and third but it is managable like everyone states with the flies out. and the tire by the way is a shinko ultra soft.
  Ignore this member   
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted September 26, 2008 02:05 PM        
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
its all in the wrist

No, its in the left hand........

+1

no, its down in the clutch cover with MTC stamped all over it :P
00 ZX-12R NA 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB

Ignore this member   
realn07

Novice Class
posted September 26, 2008 02:49 PM        
The question is where are you when it comes up. If it comes up on the launch then its your clutch hand. If it comes up after the launch and your wot, lower and strap it. Mine stock with out lower and strap was like riding a fast unicycle and i'm 225. The bike came up in first, second, and third, bouncing all the way down the track. Now i'm strapped, lowered, flies out, and pc. Now its more fun at the track cause i go down the track without the big wheelie 90% of the time unless i get too excited. I had the same questions when i started and the one answer i found to work best for me is more seat time. Oh and dumping the clutch at the track wot will get you a whole different effect than on the street so be careful with that at stock wheelbase could get real hairy. Riding on the street and on the track you get different results.
  Ignore this member   
bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted September 26, 2008 03:30 PM        
Wow... maybe I just got a slow bike (6.60 @ 112 with a 1.6 60ft and a 5200 da), because in stock trim with it lowered and strapped, mine doesn't wheelie at all after I get out of first. Even in first, if I launch below 5400 rpm, it doesn't wheelie more than a few inches. I'm 180 lbs in leathers.

ratbyk

Expert Class
posted September 26, 2008 04:32 PM        
Seat time will be your best teacher! It all boils down to about 5 things.
1 Throttle control.
2 Throttle control
3 Throttle control
4 Emotion control
5 Common sense
You feed the power in smoothly. Letting the suspension settle bit and the tire to hook up. Whacking it to WOT above 6000 rpm will get an instant response. If you are in a lower gear expect to wheelie if not go right over. Smooth is fast, Abrupt movements are not the fastest way.

Ignore this member   
realn07

Novice Class
posted September 26, 2008 09:01 PM        
quote:
Wow... maybe I just got a slow bike (6.60 @ 112 with a 1.6 60ft and a 5200 da), because in stock trim with it lowered and strapped, mine doesn't wheelie at all after I get out of first. Even in first, if I launch below 5400 rpm, it doesn't wheelie more than a few inches. I'm 180 lbs in leathers.

No not slow at all. I launch at about 6500 rpm or sometimes 7 thats what seems to work for me.

Ignore this member   
KikonZX14

Pro
Novice
posted September 27, 2008 07:51 AM        
quote:
^^^^ understandable, but sticks n stones bike is stock wheelbase and height, and hes talking about tires spinning.

Mine still has the flies in (only mod were the exhausts, changed for 4-2 TRC Yoshimura's) and normally it does spin the wheel when I change into 2nd gear and hit the throttle hard.
Regards,
David
Feel the need for SPEED2007 ZX-14 Black with Red Flames (Helibars, Sliders, Yoshimura TRC Ti 4-2 Slip Ons, Fender Eliminator, Zero Gravity SR Windscreen, Custom Heel Guards , Speedohealer V4, Pazzo Levers -soon to come: Flies out / PCV w/A/T kit and later 16T sprocket)1990 Honda Steed (Japan model same as Shadow)1993 Kawasaki Vulcan EN 500 (gone as I trade it in for the ZX-14)Santiago, Chile, South America

Ignore this member   
bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted September 27, 2008 09:47 AM        
quote:
quote:

No not slow at all. I launch at about 6500 rpm or sometimes 7 thats what seems to work for me.

lol, that was a joke. Before i was lowered and strapped, I ran a 6.40@117 with a 1.62 60ft at sea level. I've got a pretty strong running bike... i just need to learn to ride it lol

Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted September 29, 2008 06:14 AM        
quote:
^^^^ understandable, but sticks n stones bike is stock wheelbase and height, and hes talking about tires spinning.

I've had alot of tire slides and wheelie + tire slides on the street, but the rolling burnout has yet to happen (and with my 320lbs it probably will never happen). BUT: I've practiced my launching on the street and got it to full on spin a few times. With my weight, between the sheer AMOUNT of weight the engine has got to move and how relatively high up the center of gravity is when I'm on it, I have still yet to find my launch. It's either wheelie, smoke show, or engine bog.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
Some Guy

Expert Class
posted September 29, 2008 08:23 AM        
Bawls, I've had the same experience with my stock '08. Turned out there was very serious engine trouble. I'm still holding off posting about it until I get it back. Months ago I posted here that my bike barely picked up the front wheel. That to me was an indication of less power than others. As it turned out, cylinder #1 never was 100%.

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 1st gear wheelie problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.30991101265 seconds processing time