HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: -My ZX-14 Build Thread- (TOC on page 1) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
woppi

Pro
posted May 29, 2009 01:40 AM        
@Shane

verry verry NICE BIKE !!!!

woppi

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted May 29, 2009 08:51 AM        
quote:
@Shane

verry verry NICE BIKE !!!!

woppi

Thanks Woppi!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted May 29, 2009 08:53 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 29 May 2009 16:53
I change gearing a lot. I use a clip from Home Depot on my axle nut. Easier than the cotter pin, and plenty secure, imo:

Make sure to get a thicker pin as the thin ones bend and lose their tension easily.

Shane

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted May 29, 2009 09:43 AM        
You may recall that I was having some issues with my air shifter, when the bike was real hot. I found a potential problem with interference between the Muzzy shifter mount and the ram.

The big picture:

Close up, showing where the sharp edges at the clevis are eating into the mount:

This picture shows the sharp edges, near the pin (different bike, but illustrates the design):

I filed the edges down to eliminate any interference:

This might explain why the problem was evident only when the bike got hot. Perhaps only with the metal heating up and expanding did the problem occur. I definitely noticed a slight "grinding" feeling on some shifts and this would explain it. Hopefully this mod, along with the changes in kill time and cleaning up the linkages, will fix my shifting problem.

Shane

Ignore this member   
woppi

Pro
posted June 02, 2009 04:47 AM        Edited By: woppi on 2 Jun 2009 12:49
- ? - ? - ?

quote:
I change gearing a lot. I use a clip from Home Depot on my axle nut. Easier than the cotter pin, and plenty secure, imo:

Make sure to get a thicker pin as the thin ones bend and lose their tension easily.

Shane

shane

why you dont use the nice gilles axle nut ??

part: ACM-24-15 ----- http://www.gillestooling.com/en/produkte/acm/index.php

this axle nut is verry nice ! and verry light !!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 02, 2009 03:46 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 2 Jun 2009 23:47
That piece looks pretty nice. I'm not sure about it passing tech at Maxton, though. If it won't, I may just end up with a Ti axle nut.
  Ignore this member   
masszx14

Pro
A mind beside itself!
posted June 02, 2009 04:21 PM        
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqoFFCvBwbc

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 02, 2009 04:35 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 3 Jun 2009 00:38
I wouldn't consider the adjusters for my app. In fact, they probably would not work at all with my setup. But I agree with some of the comments. The axle nut is what is supposed to keep the wheel from moving...not the adjusters.

Woppi, did you chop the ends of the swingarm extensions off?

Even though the adjuster rods are 7/16" on my arm, they would never hold high hp. That is what the preload on the axle nut is for. I also discussed this with Mcintosh.

Shane

Ignore this member   
masszx14

Pro
A mind beside itself!
posted June 02, 2009 05:01 PM        
Shane, while on the axle nut and Mcintosh topic...

What should the torque be on my rear axle nut?

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 02, 2009 06:35 PM        
quote:
Shane, while on the axle nut and Mcintosh topic...

What should the torque be on my rear axle nut?

I would call them, Stan. I never got that far along. It is an aluminum nut, so I would definitely ask them how much it can take.

Ignore this member   
woppi

Pro
posted June 02, 2009 10:37 PM        
quote:
I

Woppi, did you chop the ends of the swingarm extensions off?

Shane

no, the extens. are stock

you can fix the axle nut -- with that allen head screw --- the gilles axle nut is ---TITANIUM !!

woppi

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 04, 2009 11:08 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 4 Jun 2009 19:09
I took the time today to create a table of contents from scratch. Bawls had helped me in this direction months ago, but the thread has grown considerably since.

I am trying to get this information posted on page 1, and also attempting to get this thread pinned with a sticky. Not sure if it is going to happen.

Table Of Contents, Updated 6/4/09

Page 1 Project Start, Double Bubble Windscreen, Mirror Block Off's, M14 Exhaust Pics, BMC Race Filter, Test Fit Swingarm Extensions, Misc.

Page 2 Adjustable Kickstand, Renthal Sprockets, Lowering Links, Swingarm Extensions, Exhaust Gaskets, M14 Exhaust Install, Fender Eliminator, DRZ-2 Drive Chain, Rear Brake Line

Page 3 Metal Chain Guard, Mag Knight Tank Cover, Throttle Body Removal, Secondary Butterfly Removal, Lowered Fender, Quick Access Clutch COver, Damaged Wheel Bearing, Dragstrip, TWW Exhaust Hanger

Page 4 Barnett Clutch Springs, Gixx1300 Dry Spraybar pics, PMR Switches, Renthal Sprocket Wear, Vortex 45T Sprocket, Catalyst Seat, Dynojet Accessory Photo's, Billet Velocity Stacks Photo

Page 5 Clutch Damage, Rear Tire Rubbing Undertail

Page 6 Oil Pan Removal and Cleaning, Clutch Removal, Muzzy Steering Damper Install, 16T Countershaft sprocket, Speedohealer, TC-4 Pics

Page 7 Oil Pan Installation, New Clutch Hub, New Clutch, Cut Fairing For Clutch Cover, Maxton Prep, Maxton Results, Air Shifter Install

Page 8 Rear Undertail Rubbing Mod, Air Shifter Install Revised, Dragstrip Testing, Zx-12R Rear Wheel Install

Page 9 Swingarm Weighed, Electronics Mounting, Drag Seat Rubbing Issues, New CO2 Bottle Mount, Maxton Prep, Maxton Results

Page 10 Catalyst Bodywork, Power Race Tire and Shinko Compared, Dragstrip Testing, Clutch Inspection, Nitrous Spraybars Compared

Page 11 Tiger Undertail Details and Installation, More 12R vs. 14 Rear Wheel Comparisons, Pics of bike on dealer lot, Wheelbase Options, Misc.

Page 12 Winter Teardown, Area P Mufffler, Bodywork Repair

Page 13 GSXR Wheels Details, Carbon Front Fender Pics

Page 14 Galfer GSXR Brake Rotors, Carbon Heel Guards, Odyssey 310 Battery, Battery Box Mocked Up, More Maxton Pics

Page 15 Billet Gas Cap, GSXR Footpegs, Spencer Cycle Swingarm, Misc.

Page 16 GSXR Brake Hangers, Carbon Ram Air Covers, Misc.

Page 17 Wheel and Rotors Weighed, GSXR Brake Hanger, Mcintosh Axle

Page 18 GSXR Front Wheel Install, Misc.

Page 19 M14 Exhaust Weighed, New Catalyst Bodywork Pics, OEM Parts Weighed, Bike Weight Savings Detail

Page 20 Brock's Shortmeg Weighed, Front Fork Removal, Misc.

Page 21 More Parts Weighed

Page 22 More Parts Weighed, Working With Composites, Lock Up Clutch Pics

Page 23 Carbon Lowers, More Parts Weighed, Wheel Install Measurements

Page 24 Misc.

Page 25 Drain Bolts, Forks Internally Lowered, Misc.

Page 26 BST Wheels, Misc.

Page 27 Misc.

Page 28 Misc.

Page 29 Swingarm Painted, "A" License at Maxton (on Turbo Hayabusa)

Page 30 Swingarm Install, Penske Shock Pics

Page 31 Swingarm and Shock Install, Oil Pan Modified, Shortmeg Exhaust Install, Odyssey 310 Tested

Page 32 Misc.

Page 33 2008 Fuel Pump Install, Bike Test Ride, Dragstip Testing, Misc.

Page 34 Speedcell Battery, Front Fender Brackets, Air Shifter Mods, Chain Adjuster Bolts

Page 35 Adjusting Rear Ride Height, Misc.

Page 36 Bike Assembled, Bike Photos

Page 37 Dyno Tested, Maxton Photos, Misc.

Page 38 Axle Nuts and Retention, Air Shifter Mods

Hopefully this will help people navigate this long thread!

Shane

Ignore this member   
zxbob

Pro
posted June 06, 2009 04:14 PM        
Shane ....
I posted your table of contents on page 1.
You can nuke your last post if you wish.

Bob

Ignore this member   
KF4MMN

Parking Attendant
posted June 08, 2009 09:09 AM        
Helibar risers?

quote:
Anyone got an extra set of bolts for the clipons? My bike came with helibar risers on it and no stock bolts lol.

Shane;

Great thread. I'm only up to page 31...I just picked up a ZX-14 about 2 weeks ago. Only 360 miles on it so far.

Sorry about the hijack...but the PM is not working.

Bawls;

Do you still have the Helibar risers? Wanna sell them?

Ignore this member   
4Racing

Parking Attendant
VP Race Fuel Expert
posted June 08, 2009 11:31 AM        
ZX14 Extended tail

Are you going to sell the extended tail? How much does it weigh?

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 08, 2009 11:38 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 8 Jun 2009 19:39
quote:
Are you going to sell the extended tail? How much does it weigh?

I'll weigh it tonight. Yes, I'm going to sell it. It needs some minor fiberglass repairs, though.

Email me at shane at warp 12 racing dot com if you are interested in pics.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 08, 2009 10:52 PM        
Shane,
When you planning to instal the innovate stuff?
I hope to have everything else done, and getting started on the innovate next week while my panels get painted.

I was hoping you would post up the innovate instal. If not we'll have to keep in touch.
I am ok with electrical, although it makes me scratch my head, and pull on my nuts simultaneously like a chimp sometimes...LOL

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 09, 2009 03:22 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 9 Jun 2009 11:23
quote:
Shane,
When you planning to instal the innovate stuff?
I hope to have everything else done, and getting started on the innovate next week while my panels get painted.

I was hoping you would post up the innovate instal. If not we'll have to keep in touch.
I am ok with electrical, although it makes me scratch my head, and pull on my nuts simultaneously like a chimp sometimes...LOL

I am working on the install this month. I just ordered some electrical parts for the install. I am not very good with electrical. If you saw Tropic Thunder, think "Simple Jack".

I am pulling my exhaust this week in order to have the 5 bungs welded in.

I should have some stuff up in the next couple of weeks...

Shane

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 09, 2009 06:27 AM        
What else are you ordering?
I got the dl32, tc-4, xd-16, and many single GM style sealed wire connectors.
Are you thinking we'll need anything else?
I also have relays and a deadenbear 4 relay center, although its a bit big and heavy, makes life real simple.
I am thinking I will have any alarm setpoints/limits activate a light on the dash.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 09, 2009 07:14 AM        
I have ordered some fuse blocks, still need to get some relays and a small bus bar for grounding. I am just doing some of my taps with 3m t-tap connectors...

I wasn't planning to run everything off of relays. Just a relay powered by a switched/fused 12v to energize the system. Then I will feed my components from the main and fuse them.

I'm only halfway through the planning...

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 09, 2009 07:34 AM        Edited By: dubious on 9 Jun 2009 15:36
Have you considered one of these?
http://www.dougherbert.com/multiplerelaycenterunit-pi-22021.html
http://www.dedenbear.com/mrc1txt.htm

It has many advantages, built in fuse strip, and really simplifies wiring
I am mounting it in the battery box.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 10, 2009 06:49 AM        
quote:
Have you considered one of these?
http://www.dougherbert.com/multiplerelaycenterunit-pi-22021.html
http://www.dedenbear.com/mrc1txt.htm

It has many advantages, built in fuse strip, and really simplifies wiring
I am mounting it in the battery box.

Very, very nice. A little expensive, but nice!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 11, 2009 05:16 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 11 Jun 2009 13:35
I recently picked up a neat/useful/unique part for the bike. As you guys know, I have done a lot to try and shave the weight of the bike. I am also planning to run nitrous this season.

One area that I looked for shaving weight was the airbox inspection plates. I weighed them this winter, and they seemed pretty heavy. I had even thought of making some from carbon fiber.

Another area of concern with the plates was that I had to remove them to inspect the nitrous lines, etc. on a regular basis. I don't feel comfortable, especially if using poly lines, without taking a look into the airbox once in a while. If a line comes loose, or some fitting drops into the motor, it could get real expensive!

So, on to the solution...

First, the stock setup:

Once removed you can see that they are indeed a bit heavy:

Almost 13 ounces.

Here is what they get replaced with:

Yes, they are see-through inspection plates! And they weigh about 1/2 of the stock pieces! This is definitely killing two birds with one stone. They are made of Polycarbonate...light and strong.

Installed:

These should be a real time saver as far as inspecting the nitrous system goes. The biggest issue, and only if you use both plates, is the intake air temp sensor. It will need to be relocated. There are several spots suitable for this, it really comes down to personal preference. For some apps, a single plate will be preferred anyway (depending on how your nitrous is set up).

These plates are available from board member Gixx1300R. I already have one of his spraybar kits, which is nice as well. Unless you love pulling your inspection plates over and over, I'd suggest giving these a look. I'll be running them throughout the rest of the season and posting any good/bad impressions.

Shane

Ignore this member   
TooHype

Expert Class
Go Hard or Go Home !!
posted June 11, 2009 05:31 AM        
... neat/useful/unique
Go Hard or Go Home !!....2007 Diablo Black ZX-14, BMC Race Filter, Brock's Alien Head, Brock's Radial Mount Strap, PClll with Custom Map, Flies removed, Muzzy fan, Muzzy lowering links, Muzzy Fender Eliminator, 16/41, Speedohealer, Stretched 6", Lowered 3" IN GOD I TRUST !......If You’re a Hater….KILLYASELF !!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 11, 2009 05:39 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 11 Jun 2009 13:41
I also went ahead and picked up my nitrous controls:

There are certainly more elaborate controllers out there. I just went with what I figured to be "tried and true" parts from Schnitz Racing. There are a lot of options out there, and many good products.

Even though the thead has been slow lately, I have been plotting and planning. Expect to see some significant changes to the bike in the next month or two.

Shane

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 78 pages long: 1  -  <10  -  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  -  10>  -  78   Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: -My ZX-14 Build Thread- (TOC on page 1) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22593402862549 seconds processing time