HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Totalled Title HELP! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Lloyd

Parking Attendant
posted June 15, 2008 02:07 AM        
Totalled Title HELP!

Some relation of myn recently came across some bad luck and an even worse person. Her fiancée was a complete POS and maliciously wrecked her 07 zx14. The forks are fine but the neck is snapped. Its like he dropped it off of a truck or something on its front tire. My old man got a parts list together and it would cost over 10 grand to have a dealer fix it mostly because of labor. The problem is she still owes 12 grand on the bike.

There are some aftermarket parts like exhaust, tires, and some other cosmetic stuff.
What would be the best course of action, I am extremely mechanically adept have rebuilt many car engines and could probably handle replacing the frame. Should I do that and keep the bike for myself or would it be wiser just to part it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated and an update will probably come tuesday. Thanks alot!

Ignore this member   
busa200

Parking Attendant
posted June 15, 2008 02:19 AM        
get a used frame, not that big of a deal to swap out.

Ignore this member   
Lloyd

Parking Attendant
posted June 15, 2008 02:27 AM        
Thanks for the quick reply I been trying to tell my old man that but he seems to picture me blowing 180 mph down the interstate. He can't really say anything though because its my money!

Even if I don't take it do you think it would be worth more selling parts, as is, or after I replace the frame?

I'll probably attempt to sell the aftermarket things anyway especially the tires as I don't really care the bike is fast enough for me stock.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 15, 2008 02:40 AM        Edited By: dubious on 15 Jun 2008 09:44
Engine=3000
wheels =300
Complete mint body kit= ~1500
miscilaneous parts= ~ 1000-1500

Total in Parts= ~ $6000

used frame will cost~ $1200

Value of used 07-zx14 is around $7000-$8500

Is your labour worth 0- $2000 to you?

If not then, part it out.

Hope the police are dealing with POS.
He'd be better off with them, than me if it was my sister.

Ignore this member   
busa200

Parking Attendant
posted June 15, 2008 02:41 AM        
if it was me and i wasnt going to keep it, i would do a breakdown on paper of all the parts and put a price next to each one. add it up and see if that works for me. i would also check the market and see what it is worth in the condition it is in right now.
i think if i was you though, i would find a frame and put it back together, you're farther ahead money wise and then sell it if you dont want to keep it.
charlie

Ignore this member   
Lloyd

Parking Attendant
posted June 15, 2008 02:44 AM        
haha Police!!! yah right. The guy needs to be removed from the earth but thats beside the point he has no money for a lawsuit too. There are options yet to be explored with him.

I really do want to fix it, any direction as to where I could locate a used frame? the Kawasaki dealer?

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 15, 2008 02:45 AM        Edited By: dubious on 15 Jun 2008 09:46
Try psychobike, bikeland, zx14ninja classifids and ebay

I edited my first post with figures for you

Ignore this member   
Lloyd

Parking Attendant
posted June 15, 2008 02:53 AM        
Awesome thanks dubious and busa for the great responses! My labor is definitely worth 2 grand, if not just for the experience I love fixing things.
  Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted June 15, 2008 03:27 AM        
If she owes 12g's on it how does it not have full coverage insureance? Turn it in along with the asshole that crashed it!
  Ignore this member   
hotzxrod

Novice Class
posted June 15, 2008 03:28 AM        
seen some rolling chassis at cycletrader.com would be perfect

Ignore this member    Click here to visit hotzxrod's homepage. Click here to send hotzxrod an AIM message. 
ninja14

Pro
posted June 15, 2008 04:47 PM        Edited By: ninja14 on 15 Jun 2008 23:47
Insurance and a lawyer......make him pay......

Other than that...........build a custom.

Ignore this member   
northmedic

Expert Class
posted June 15, 2008 05:07 PM        
there has also been a few rolling chassis on ebay for around 4 grand

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted June 16, 2008 01:08 AM        
Just try and get a 2008 frame! Trust me, they are having a frame recall right now, and quite a bit of them are cracked. The replacement frame for the '06 and '07 bikes is the '08 frame which is made a bit differently but dimensionally correct. Figure a weekend to swap everything over, two weekends max. Just make sure you put it together EXACTLY as it came apart. Photos or better yet a camcorder on a tripod are highly recommended.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
KillaKAW4Life

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2008 01:45 AM        
file a claim with insurance, and sell the rest to me. I'll do somehing with it and send you pics. Please selli it to me
  Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted June 16, 2008 12:18 PM        
I paid $850 to get mine back after it was totaled.

Ignore this member   
Superman T

Pro
posted June 18, 2008 02:29 AM        
quote:
If she owes 12g's on it how does it not have full coverage insureance? Turn it in along with the asshole that crashed it!

Not to say that you shouldn't insure a bike like the 14. But thru Kawasaki, (if you have good enough credit) they'll give you a credit line(say 15 grand, basically a Kaw credit card) and you can purchase the bike. Under these terms it isn't mandatory to insure because it's paid for in full and you pay the CC off. I purchase my bike this way and paid the CC off in 2 months. I did fully insure mine from the start! Not trying to get off the subject but I can see how this may have happened.... Sorry for the crappy luck Lloyd.

Ignore this member   
Kathy Pawson

Parking Attendant
posted February 03, 2011 06:56 PM        
quote:
Some relation of myn recently came across some bad luck and an even worse person. Her fiancée was a complete POS and maliciously wrecked her 07 zx14. The forks are fine but the neck is snapped. Its like he dropped it off of a truck or something on its front tire. My old man got a parts list together and it would cost over 10 grand to have a dealer fix it mostly because of labor. The problem is she still owes 12 grand on the bike.

There are some aftermarket parts like exhaust, tires, and some other cosmetic stuff.
What would be the best course of action, I am extremely mechanically adept have rebuilt many car engines and could probably handle replacing the frame. Should I do that and keep the bike for myself or would it be wiser just to part it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated and an update will probably come tuesday. Thanks alot!

Ignore this member   
Kathy Pawson

Parking Attendant
posted February 03, 2011 06:57 PM        
Lloyd, do you have pictures of your bike's snapped neck
  Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted February 03, 2011 08:47 PM        
Probably not since the post was made June 15, 2008 and he only has 10 posts total.

Just a hint, The date of the post is right above the top line where is shows the message you write. This thread has been dead since 2008.

Patrick

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2011 12:12 AM        
lol. I know it's old news, but I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that this girls bike was a year old and she still owed 12K on it which seems like almost more than they were new. Sounds like someone who has a habit of making bad decisions including her fiance', but that's just MO. How the hell were the forks OK but the neck broken? What a stupid thread. lol
  Ignore this member   
zx14fan

Zone Head
posted February 04, 2011 01:46 AM        
Edgecrusher x 2

Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted February 04, 2011 02:11 AM        Edited By: ryn0cer0s on 4 Feb 2011 17:13
might have been the cost of the bike plus aftermarket exhaust, etc. The add-ons can get pretty high, pretty quick
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted February 04, 2011 02:26 AM        
China ABS fairing kits are as low as 650.00 bucks with shipping lots graffics to choose. I was just checking them out for the 14 on Egay the other day. Heard the China stuff is as good as OEM.

Ignore this member   
BrianK

Parking Attendant
posted February 06, 2011 01:33 AM        
quote:
China ABS fairing kits are as low as 650.00 bucks with shipping lots graffics to choose. I was just checking them out for the 14 on Egay the other day. Heard the China stuff is as good as OEM.

They are NOT as good as oem but with some time, patience and a dremel you can get a decent fit. Paint quality is average

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Totalled Title HELP! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.38273882865906 seconds processing time