HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: GPR Steering damper questions NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted May 31, 2008 10:08 AM        
GPR Steering damper questions

Does anyone have pictures of the GPR damper installed on their ZX14? Also, was it pretty easy to install? Last question, what size is the steering stem nut?

Thanks.
2007 Z14 SE - Yoshimura TRC full race exhaust w/ carbon can - PCiii w/ map from HPC - Flies removed - Pipercross air filter - Speedohealer - Puig Double Bubble - Fender Eliminator - GPR Steering Damper - Puig Frame Sliders - HID's - Halo's

Ignore this member   
slates

Expert Class
posted May 31, 2008 09:15 PM        
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=38210&set_time=

lowcel, I don't remember the size of the stock steering stem nut, but I believe it's 32 or 34mm. I think what GPR gives you as a replacement nut is STD sizing. It was very easy to install. I had to borrow the socket to loosen the stock steering stem nut. Pics posted at url listed above.

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted June 01, 2008 03:39 AM        
Beautiful bike and thanks for the reply. I can't tell from the picture, does it just connect to the frame with the bolt used with the tank cover or do holes need to be drilled?
2007 Z14 SE - Yoshimura TRC full race exhaust w/ carbon can - PCiii w/ map from HPC - Flies removed - Pipercross air filter - Speedohealer - Puig Double Bubble - Fender Eliminator - GPR Steering Damper - Puig Frame Sliders - HID's - Halo's

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted June 01, 2008 08:33 AM        
I have ridden bikes that really need a steering damper but can I ask, seriously, do you need to fit one to a bike as stable as the 14 ?

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted June 01, 2008 10:48 AM        
I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. To me the relatively low cost of a steering damper isn't worth dying over in case I do need it some day.

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted June 01, 2008 03:16 PM        
quote:
I have ridden bikes that really need a steering damper but can I ask, seriously, do you need to fit one to a bike as stable as the 14 ?

For any hard riding I would recommend it. In fact, many LSR venues require it. I agree that it is a very stable machine in stock form. But it is not nearly as stable a it will be with a good damper.

Like has been said here before, "you don't need it until you need it....and then you REALLY need it!."

Shane

Ignore this member   
slates

Expert Class
posted June 02, 2008 05:05 AM        
quote:
Beautiful bike and thanks for the reply. I can't tell from the picture, does it just connect to the frame with the bolt used with the tank cover or do holes need to be drilled?[/quote

Lowcel,

The frame doesn't need to be drilled. It mounts to the center nut location at the cover in front of the gas tank just behind the steering stem nut. There are two "set" screws that snug down to the frame and use RED Loctite to secure.

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted June 02, 2008 05:17 PM        
Slates, any leaks from the GPR?

Shane

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted June 02, 2008 05:57 PM        
Thanks for all the help. I ordered one today, the non-V4 version though. With the money I saved I ordered some Puig sliders.

Ignore this member   
slates

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2008 05:09 AM        
quote:
Slates, any leaks from the GPR?

Shane

No...there better not be or I'll be seeking a full refund. Mine was done wiht a group that was going to the Corona Extra Honda Team...hence the gold dials.

Ignore this member   
Shogun

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2008 06:15 AM        
My V4 started leaking after about 3 months of use. Returned to GPR for seal replacement...no charge and quick turn-around.

Not happy that it failed so soon but their responsiveness was good.

Shogun

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted June 10, 2008 05:24 PM        
Received the steering damper and got it installed. Took about ten whole minutes.

Ignore this member   
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted March 29, 2010 06:56 PM        
quote:
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=38210&set_time=

lowcel, I don't remember the size of the stock steering stem nut, but I believe it's 32 or 34mm. I think what GPR gives you as a replacement nut is STD sizing. It was very easy to install. I had to borrow the socket to loosen the stock steering stem nut. Pics posted at url listed above.

I think it was a 32mm, or you can use a 1-1/4" socket which is what i used. It was on pretty tight so make sure you hold the bike tight and use a long breaker bar.

Ignore this member   
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted March 29, 2010 06:59 PM        
quote:
quote:

For any hard riding I would recommend it. In fact, many LSR venues require it. I agree that it is a very stable machine in stock form. But it is not nearly as stable a it will be with a good damper.

Like has been said here before, "you don't need it until you need it....and then you REALLY need it!."

Shane

Its actually quite shocking how a machine with such a steep rake is so stable in factory form. 23.5 deg rake is pretty darn steep for any bike, let alone one with a near 50:50 weight dist. My gixxer 750 doesn't even have a rake that steep and that mofo gets squirrelly sometimes wheeling it around the canyons.

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted March 29, 2010 07:04 PM        
I appreciate the advice but I got rid of my ZX14 about a year ago. I decided to try out a different type bike.

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted March 29, 2010 08:23 PM        
Wow a Harley!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted March 29, 2010 08:24 PM        Edited By: lowcel on 30 Mar 2010 03:26
quote:
Wow a Harley!

Nope, mine is a 2007 (I purchased it new as a left over), it was produced before Harley acquired MV Agusta.

Ignore this member   
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted March 29, 2010 08:28 PM        
quote:
quote:
Wow a Harley!

Nope, mine is a 2007 (I purchased it new as a left over), it was produced before Harley acquired MV Agusta.

That's a fine piece of machinery there bud.

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted March 29, 2010 08:31 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wow a Harley!

That's a fine piece of machinery there bud.

Thank you, I certainly enjoy it. There are some things about it that I like better than the 14, some aspects of the 14 I liked better than the MV Agusta. I still believe that the 14 is a truly awesome piece of machinery, it just wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Ignore this member   
68gts2

Zone Head
hobbies ( Beating you !!! )
posted March 30, 2010 07:38 AM        
Is it hard to get to the key in with that big dude mounted on the steering head?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit 68gts2's homepage. 
zx14fan

Zone Head
posted March 30, 2010 09:49 AM        
How much did you pay for that damper?? Looks good
  Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted March 30, 2010 04:42 PM        
The GPR V4 is the later version of the one pictured above and it seems to be smaller. I have the V4 and its been great, No key interference at all.

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted March 30, 2010 04:46 PM        
Heres a pic of the GPR V4

Ignore this member   
SLVR_BLT

Zone Head
Chicken Strips!
posted March 30, 2010 05:30 PM        
quote:
Heres a pic of the GPR V4

You didn't install the other 2 screws to the frame? I had to drill 2 holes for my Scotts damper to ensure its sturdy.

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted March 30, 2010 05:38 PM        
GPR does not come with or require that you drill holes in the frame, mount seems plenty solid

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: GPR Steering damper questions NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.756589174271 seconds processing time