HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Overheated my -014's the other day NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted May 19, 2008 11:30 AM        
Overheated my -014's the other day

Went on a long hard ride the other day and after a 40 minute freeway slog followed by a few miles of twists my tires started getting really greasy (90+ degree ambient, pavement in the full sun all day long). Guess I found the limits of the stockers. Was trying to keep the speeds on the straights down, just railing it in the corners and on the exits.

Funny thing was they acted the exact opposite of riding a track spec tire too hard when its not warmed up. Once they greased up, entering my lean they really squirmed and slid, then as I approached full lean they regained there traction again.

First tires I've owned that were not a street/track or full on track tire so I wasnt exactly sure how to handle it when it got that way. So I just kept up the pace. Turns out there wasn't really a very noticeable loss of overall traction once I scrubbed off the oil leaking out of the tread (or whatever it is that caused that initial sliding).

If my corners were back to back it only happened on the first corner, but after even short straights it greased up again. Just some useful info for those still running on the stockers - they will get unstable at first but stick with your corner they will regain there composure.

I am wondering, though, if continuing to ride on them after they overheated was a good idea. Will it affect there grip afterwards? Or did I just harden them? I will be changing them out for Pilot Powers soon but in the mean time...
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted May 19, 2008 12:16 PM        
Always found that with road rubber on a race circuit, One or two laps to get them up to temperature, then a couple of laps before they overheat. Part of the problem is running them under those conditions at standard pressure. It's raised too high when they get hot.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted May 19, 2008 12:23 PM        Edited By: Sticks_n_Stones on 19 May 2008 13:24
Yeah, I keep them at 35 psi normally. Wonder what the PSI was after they got hot? I normally run my Qualifier's at around 25 PSI, seems to work the best for me.

I was just surprised how fast they overheated, thought I noticed it in one corner, by the next there was no doubt. And I wasnt even blasting the straights! Just sped enough for each corner so I could practice my late breaking techniques.

Oh yeah, I also had the very annoying displeasure of finding out just how friggin rusty I've gotten since last fall. Shit, since the year before that for that matter. Gotten used to being sloppy and had to force myself to hold my lines. Guess I've been 'following' others too much and lost my feel for it. But I found some nice roads to regain it on! After I upgrade my tires that is.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 19, 2008 01:32 PM        
You think the 014s are greasy in the hot, try a pair of 2CTs.

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted May 19, 2008 04:55 PM        
You telling me you rode 2CT's hard enough to make them give? What, you driving through lava or something?! lol
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 20, 2008 08:50 PM        
LOL Might as well be. 100+ degree weather in Azusa canyon and Glendora Mtn Rd...Socal.

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted May 21, 2008 05:24 AM        
Yep that will do it when you figure in the weight of the 14 on top of that. Glad to see someone running there 14 the way a sport bike should be ridden!
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Overheated my -014\'s the other day NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.618759870529 seconds processing time